• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Deathbringer

W:O:A Metalmaster
13 März 2009
Massachusetts
After you got home tonight completely wasted. :o:D:p

I agree that not every kid matures at the same rate, but that doesn't mean say your daughter could just be mature enough at 17 or so. I know around then I was getting back from shows or parties at 2am with my parents not even calling or waiting on me. Just depends on the person, and I think that should be the rule rather than 18.

Yeah I got home wasted, but at no point did I lose it, drive or end up in bed with some random guy.

And people do mature at different rates. Personally, I haven't changed much since I was 16.

808Metal

30 Nov. 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
Well I never said 18 meant they're instantly mature, just that's better than 21. And if they're legally allowed to drink vs doing it anyway, the thrill of "omg I can finally drink" wears off faster, like opening a Christmas gift early. Drunk driving is always an issue, at any age though, whether it's 18, 21, or 50.

Yes that's true, drunk drivers of all ages are on the roads. But making it legally OK and easy to obtain will encourage some people to do more of it than if it's the other way around. The bottom line is, if someone wants something bad enough, they'll do it/get it legal or not. But believe it or not, some people do obey the laws.

xforeverxmetalx

W:O:A Metalgod
29 Dez. 2007
Yes that's true, drunk drivers of all ages are on the roads. But making it legally OK and easy to obtain will encourage some people to do more of it than if it's the other way around. The bottom line is, if someone wants something bad enough, they'll do it/get it legal or not. But believe it or not, some people do obey the laws.

I don't think so... look at Europe. They can legally get it at 16, and my German teacher said she bought beers for her dad as young as 11 without the store owners caring. But you don't see a drunk driving problem there. They grow up with it, so it's seen more like a common drink than something special to get drunk on and be "cool".

808Metal

30 Nov. 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
Not to mention, nobody I know drinks and drives. We always have a designated driver regardless. Why should I be not allowed to drink for a few irresponsible people who are breaking the law in the first place?

well let's put it this way, should a 9 year old be allowed to drink? Some things are just not appropriate at younger ages. The law makers determined that 21 was a safer age for most people to handle alcohol than 18. The debate at which age should be OK will go on forever. You and Kris are much more levelheaded and mature than most of your peers (that's a compliment, remember I was your age also a while ago). Many people your age are pretty immature. Those are the ones that spoil it for people like you. And the designated driver thing is the way to go.

Deathbringer

13 März 2009
Massachusetts
Well you see that's my point, you have self control and your mother knows that. And if she wants to allow you drink in the safety of your own home then that's great. What I get concerned about is those who get behind the wheel after they drink or while drinking. And teen girls who get taken advantage of at partys when they're drunk. those are the kind of mistakes that can ruin a young life. I'm not trying to sound controlling, but as the father of a well developed, boy crazy 14 year old daughter, I rightfully have concerns.

Yeah, I understand that too. But, for instance, you know where your daughters values lie. You know where you can trust her and where you cannot. It depends entirely on the person and I know a few people who, regardless of age, should never touch a bottle of alcohol or go near any women. It all depends entirely on the person.

Most mistakes should happen while the person is a child, where the individual can have the guidance and assistance from parents and other close relatives. If I made any of the mistakes I've made in the past year ten years from now I'd be entirely lost and wouldn't be able to fall back on my mom. Of course some mistakes don't go away as easily, but, that's the type of mistake that everybody should grow up knowing to avoid.

808Metal

30 Nov. 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
Yeah.. but, I also dated a guy my mother disagreed with. Had she told me I'm not allowed to go with him, I would have snuck out and probably would have done it anyways. She let it go, and within a month or so I had let him go anyways.

I understand that, and being a parent I know that I can't control my daughter 100%, but it is my duty to tell her what I believe is best for her, if she disobeys, I can't stop that, but the consequences she will face will not be to her liking. The reason for that is when she leaves home and moves out, consequences for her actions don't stop, they get worse as in fines, jail, unwanted pregnancy, etc. it's my job to prepare her for adult life, real life.

Deathbringer

13 März 2009
Massachusetts
well let's put it this way, should a 9 year old be allowed to drink? Some things are just not appropriate at younger ages. The law makers determined that 21 was a safer age for most people to handle alcohol than 18. The debate at which age should be OK will go on forever. You and Kris are much more levelheaded and mature than most of your peers (that's a compliment, remember I was your age also a while ago). Many people your age are pretty immature. Those are the ones that spoil it for people like you. And the designated driver thing is the way to go.

A child should be allowed to have a glass of wine or a beer with their parents at any age in my opinion (within reason). But it should be limited to with their parents and they should NOT be allowed to serve other children. 18 should be fine assuming the person has a designated driver if they are out of their house. But, I know people well beyond 25 who drive drunk every other day. It doesn't make it right, but it shows that some people are never mature enough to handle it. 21, 25, 18, 16, no matter what the age, people will be immature with it. I shouldn't have to be afraid of the cops if I decide, as an adult, to go out and have a good time and have a couple beers like I did tonight.

xforeverxmetalx

29 Dez. 2007
I understand that, and being a parent I know that I can't control my daughter 100%, but it is my duty to tell her what I believe is best for her, if she disobeys, I can't stop that, but the consequences she will face will not be to her liking. The reason for that is when she leaves home and moves out, consequences for her actions don't stop, they get worse as in fines, jail, unwanted pregnancy, etc. it's my job to prepare her for adult life, real life.

Of course you're supposed to prepare her... just I think it's better for parents to let go of their kids slowly so they can start making mistakes [inevitably] and learn from them while you're still there to guide them. So that by the time they're out on their own, it's not so much of a shock.

808Metal

30 Nov. 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
After you got home tonight completely wasted. :o:D:p

I agree that not every kid matures at the same rate, but that doesn't mean say your daughter couldn't just be mature enough at 17 or so. I know around then I was getting back from shows or parties at 2am with my parents not even calling or waiting on me. Just depends on the person, and I think that should be the rule rather than 18.

Well yes, the entire age thing is a tough one to nail down. My daughter at times is very mature, 14 going on 30, and at other times, 14 going on 9. She still does and thinks many things that just don't make sense. And of course she thinks she's so mature and got everything figured out. And that does not make her good or bad, just a typical teenager, I was the same way.

808Metal

30 Nov. 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
Yeah I got home wasted, but at no point did I lose it, drive or end up in bed with some random guy.

And people do mature at different rates. Personally, I haven't changed much since I was 16.

That's my point, everyone's different. I think the law is based on averages, studies done on 18-21+ year olds and the average or compromise age that they concluded was best is 21. trust me, the beer and alcohol makers have a lot of pull politicly, they'd love to see the age reduced to 18.

xforeverxmetalx

29 Dez. 2007
Well yes, the entire age thing is a tough one to nail down. My daughter at times is very mature, 14 going on 30, and at other times, 14 going on 9. She still does and thinks many things that just don't make sense. And of course she thinks she's so mature and got everything figured out. And that does not make her good or bad, just a typical teenager, I was the same way.

14's too young to tell really, I think.

Like my sister, for example, she's 16, but she's still in that bratty teenager mode. You can ask Holly. :o She's not ready I think, she's going to get a huge reality check when she leaves.

Deathbringer

13 März 2009
Massachusetts

Yes, of course, and as a father you do the best job you feel is possible for your kids because you know how life is and you love them to death. Consequence doesn't stop no matter what the laws are, you have to trust that she will stay true to her values no matter what. I know most people my own age who had caring parents hold true to those values, and others respect those and hold true to theirs because that's how it goes. The most important thing is to be there while she experiments with who her adult self is, that's what my mom did for me despite the unwanted consequences (random guys she never met sleeping on the sofa when she woke up, etc) and that is the best thing she's ever done for me.

808Metal

30 Nov. 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
I don't think so... look at Europe. They can legally get it at 16, and my German teacher said she bought beers for her dad as young as 11 without the store owners caring. But you don't see a drunk driving problem there. They grow up with it, so it's seen more like a common drink than something special to get drunk on and be "cool".

Yes that's true, the Europeans seem to have more self control and respect for themselves and others. Their parents seem to teach them responsible drinking habits. As for drunk driving problems they are everywhere, juts not as bad there. The whole drink to be cool and fit in is for sure am issue here. Don't know about Europe.

xforeverxmetalx

29 Dez. 2007
That's my point, everyone's different. I think the law is based on averages, studies done on 18-21+ year olds and the average or compromise age that they concluded was best is 21. trust me, the beer and alcohol makers have a lot of pull politicly, they'd love to see the age reduced to 18.

Well you'd hope they did it that way, but I don't trust the government much. :o Personally I think it's 21 just because they know that a lot of kids aren't prepared at 18. Like I was saying earlier about parents holding on too tight and not letting them practice being independent before it matters.

xforeverxmetalx

29 Dez. 2007
Yes that's true, the Europeans seem to have more self control and respect for themselves and others. Their parents seem to teach them responsible drinking habits. As for drunk driving problems they are everywhere, juts not as bad there. The whole drink to be cool and fit in is for sure am issue here. Don't know about Europe.

I don't think it has anything to do with them being European itself though. It's the attitude toward alcohol in general that they have.