Gay metalheads @ Wacken?

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Lady_Wolf

W:O:A Metalmaster
4 Juli 2006
A crazy men's Utopia
www.myspace.com
There's a sports bar here in town & one of the dress codes is no team jerseys.WTF?

so you can not get in a fight over whose team is better (alcohol does weird things to people)

btw: they say that 5-10% of all people is gay.
how high would that percentage be in metal?
Are there that many closet gay's or are gay people really not attracted to metal?

19 Juli 2009
so you can not get in a fight over whose team is better (alcohol does weird things to people)

Some people don't even need alcohol to act like hooligans... :rolleyes:

It's completely stupid if you ask me, trying to pick fights with people that happen to support a different sports team than you do. Worst thing is that it tends to get romanticized even in media, books, movies, etc.

Are there that many closet gay's or are gay people really not attracted to metal?

Yeah, i've been wondering about this myself for a long time too.

I actually think it's probably the case that gays are less attracted to metal than straight people. Look at the man/woman ratio to compare. There are far less females than males in the metalscene still. Fortunately that seems to be changing.

I think that since metal is very extreme in terms of loudness and harshness, physical in terms of how we move to our music (headbanging and moshpits) and also associated with things like drinking as much beer as you can, behaving a bit like neanderthalers and fanaticism in terms of every metalhead having the need to own hundreds or even thousands of records and huge piles of merchandise and most of all viewing metal as a way of life or at least by far one's major hobby in life, instead of just a musical interest, it can be seen as a subculture that is very uncompromising.
That uncompromising and just plain brutalish nature of metal as a subculture is something that is just naturally more attractive to males than females I think. Especially during puberty, which is the age at which most people start becoming part of a subculture.

I think it's the same for gay people, possibly (likely) even far 'worse'. Also If you're gay you already had to compromise part of your masculinity if you look at it from the perspective of society as a whole. (Whether that is fair or not is different debate.) I can see how someone that had to compromise such important things in his life already, consciously or unconsciously is just less susceptible to a culture that doesn't seem to accept people that compromise.

Now, most of you will agree, that this shell of extremities, brutalness and uncompromising views is really just what it is, a shell that the outside world views but that is really just a superficial view and not really that accurate. But if you don't know that it's hard to be interested in the music if you're not really going for the extreme characteristics of the subculture.

What is left is the true love for our kind of music. But if you never get acquainted with metal because you're not attracted to the culture you will never learn to like it.

19 Juli 2009
Imho it is not the same if you get discriminated for something you choose to getting discriminated for something you do not choose.

This is very true.

And an important distinction as well imo. At least speaking for myself.

Racial and gender discrimination are seen as the worst kinds of discrimination. It is plain that one can't help being of a certain race or gender. When it comes to sexual preference however you can't physically tell. Because of this there are still lots and lots of people that think being gay (or bi or any other kind of sexual preference) is a choice and is therefor more valid to discriminate against.

Let me tell you: it's not a choice. I hoped it was a choice. In fact, I have tried to make it my choice not to be gay for over 15 years. It doesn't work. I have been in denial for a long time and tried to act as straight as I could on every level possible. But in the end it never made me happy. Just depressed and sometimes even worse. It really doesn't work and it really isn't a choice.

19 Juli 2009
Well guys,

I haven't really had a lot of private response from other metalgays unfortunately, but maybe this will happen after Wacken. Who knows. I am going to enjoy myself regardless.

I'd like to thank all of you for the support. I appreciate it a lot. :)

I am leaving tomorrow morning for Germany. I wish you all a great festival!

Cheers!

Lady_Wolf

W:O:A Metalmaster
4 Juli 2006
A crazy men's Utopia
www.myspace.com
Well guys,

I haven't really had a lot of private response from other metalgays unfortunately, but maybe this will happen after Wacken. Who knows. I am going to enjoy myself regardless.

I'd like to thank all of you for the support. I appreciate it a lot. :)

I am leaving tomorrow morning for Germany. I wish you all a great festival!

Cheers!

Have a safe trip and a great festival!
And who knows who you will meet there ;)

Yanos666

W:O:A Metalhead
6 März 2009
Liverpool

Well in some cities like the one I am from where you have rival teams from the same city ie; Liverpool and Everton (from my avatar you can see who i support! ;) ) there can always be trouble so this is a good idea. Personally I dont care who you support it is just a game!

Jus the same as the gay thing I couldn't give a flying fuck tbh! I have gay bi and straight friends... its all irrelevant at the end of the day its only sex doesn't change who you are! Anyone tells you otherwise fuck them! Same goes for race, we're all jus people so its irrelevant.

Anyways you will get no trouble at wacken i'm sure!

Have fun!

samaër

W:O:A Metalhead
29 Juli 2009
Finland
www.last.fm
Gay metalheads? Here's one and I know many more, but most of them are women (me too :D ). Though my best friend is pretty much like Weeping Willow, he looks very traditional metalhead with long hair and metal merchandice and boots and stuff and last year he just told us he's gay. Many didn't like that (lol, Finland) but also: many were glad that he "came out from the closet". It really cleared up lots of things and made our and escpecially his life easier.

Atm I'm on my way to Wacken, this will be my first one and definitely not the least. I should have read the forum earlier and bring my friend with me!

I wish you all the best festival and camping! Greetings from a group of crazy (and drunken) Finns!

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

metalhippy

4 Aug. 2008
This topic made me think of something else: where are the black metalheads?
I didn't see one black person on Wacken except for the ones working at the toilets. I'm not a racist, that is just the truth.
So who knows any black metalheads?
I'm curious.

David_VI

28 Juli 2008
I didn't see one black person on Wacken except for the ones working at the toilets. I'm not a racist, that is just the truth.
I'm curious.

I have noticed this too.. And find it funny how the only black people at wacken seem to be working at the toilets... but I did see quite a few black people this year which was great!

While on the subject of Wacken minorities.. I saw over (not hard to see over them) 3 midgets/dwarves also (whatever is polictially correct) :D

19 Juli 2009
So, I am back again and had a great Wacken as I hope all of you had as well. I did not meet any other gays at Wacken as expected but that doesn't matter because I can have fun with straight people as well. ;)

This was, however, the first Wacken where all of the people I went with knew I am gay and it felt great because I could be more myself than ever before which made it special for me. :)

I should have read the forum earlier and bring my friend with me!

Bring him next year! :D

I saw a gay couple at wacken (men)

So Weeping Willow, was it you?

Nope, wasn't me. :(

So, how did you know they were gay?

I'm curious.

There are indeed not many black metalheads. I met one though this Wacken. A girl that I had a short conversation with on Thursday walking from the festival area back to the campsite after Heaven & Hell.