Justify Our Existence

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

gnoff

W:O:A Metalmaster
9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Ok, I'm sortof getting the picture here, let me see if I can get some sort of answer...

There's a great swedish saying called "ordbajsa" that I can not translate, but it sort of means writing or talking a lot without realy getting to a point, this is probably what I will do in this reply :D

"Should we be here?"
I don't see why not, why should we not be here?
Mankind is treatin the world with very little respect and also it's own kind, as well as all other pecies out there.
But why are we doing it?
Probably because nobody is stopping us...
Should we be doing it?
There's a great line in the movie "Jurassic Park" that I can't really quote perfect, but I will give it a try. At least I think it was JP, what the hell, what ever, here goes:
"The scientist were to concerned thinking about "could we do this" when perhpas they should have been thinking "SHOULD we do this?""
Maybe that is a question people of this world should be asking themselves?
Should I really throw this away and buy a new one? Should I care more about the environment? Should I protest more loudly about the war and other injustices?
But still, we have the power and the control to destory the world in which we live in, and we are also doing a great job at it. The irony will maybe show it self when the earth become un-inhabitable?
Then the answer to your question will be:
No, we can not justify our existence since we managed to kill out own planet and our own species...

That's a lot of crap I just wrote there, hope it makes sence?

Warthog

29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us
I think the search for meaning OR justification is really pointless anyway. Why can't we just accept the fact that our existence is probably the result of a grand cosmic accident, of particular molecules falling in place to create the building blocks of life on Earth and then, humankind? Does it somehow demean us that maybe there isn't some higher "purpose" for which we were created? That's what bugs me about religions - they're all just inventions of people who were grasping at thin air to understand the universe. Outside of raw science, what's to understand? We're just visitors here, so let's enjoy it for all its worth!

@gnoff - "blowing hot air" sounds like it would be a good english equivalent for "ordbajsa" :D

Zombi

10 Jan. 2002
Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally posted by Warthog
I think the search for meaning OR justification is really pointless anyway. Why can't we just accept the fact that our existence is probably the result of a grand cosmic accident, of particular molecules falling in place to create the building blocks of life on Earth and then, humankind?

In fact...that is exactly why we are here. Big mix up of carbon molecules from the second generation of stars.

I am merely discussing something I thought about recently. Can we justify our existance? This is only a discussion. We are not trying to establish some belief system or find some divine truth.

I don't believe in god. I hate christianity. but it is interesting to discuss things about them, even just as an exercise in philosophy.

Just wanted to bring something different into the forum.

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Originally posted by Zombi

Just wanted to bring something different into the forum.

Anf that is a good thing!!

We need some serious discussions from time to time.

Or even some wierd or strange discussions, so that you must actually reach back and kick start your brain to be able to write a semi-decent answer in the thread :)

Spamming is great, but if you can also have some real conversations that's even better :)
As long as they don't take too much time from the less serious threads :D

Smeagol

W:O:A Metalhead
19 Dez. 2001
Website besuchen
Originally posted by Warthog
I think the search for meaning OR justification is really pointless anyway. Why can't we just accept the fact that our existence is probably the result of a grand cosmic accident, of particular molecules falling in place to create the building blocks of life on Earth and then, humankind?

We can turn the thing in the other way. Why shouldn't we search ? Why can't we think that we are more than just amounts of molecules ? Why can we be so sure that we are just molecules ? Why should the research avoid enjoying the life ? People are free to think what they want, we will all die so there is really *nothing* to loose.

seems a bit too serious here :D

Smeagol

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Warthog

29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us
Originally posted by Smeagol
We can turn the thing in the other way. Why shouldn't we search ? Why can't we think that we are more than just amounts of molecules ? Why can we be so sure that we are just molecules ? Why should the research avoid enjoying the life ? People are free to think what they want, we will all die so there is really *nothing* to loose.

Oh no, I agree completely! That's why I love science - it's all about taking what we can observe directly and using that information to better understand the universe we live in. Perhaps we are more than just biological machines - science isn't even close to cracking the mystery yet, but that doesnt' mean we should stop learning, or asking questions.

It's religion I despise - a set of fanciful beliefs with no proof in evidence, all haphazardly thrown together by primitive cultures to crudely explain the world and why things are the way they are.

I mean, as much profound philosophical substance there is to be found in say, the stories of the old Norse gods...no one believes anymore that the world we live in is really just a chunk of bark on a giant tree, do they? I think we've grown beyond that :)

berserkur

W:O:A Metalhead
i read this the other day...

Scientists have long been mystified as to why early life forms switched from asexual reproduction -- which avoids all the complications of monogamy, entirely sidesteps partnering, and enjoys the benefits of cloning -- to sexual reproduction, with its inherent burden of getting hitched, at least for a time. A study in 2001 suggested the stress of repeated asteroid or comet impacts may have fueled the world's first lust, albeit microbial, elevating sex to the level of cosmic mystery (where I suspect many intelligent beings had placed it all along).

hmmm.... WHATTHEFUCK does this MEAN ARGHHH!!!!

i´m a kind of an existentialist, there is no pretext and rational reasons for our existence( i mean other than multiplying and growing and thriving), were just thrown somewhere into the world and we can´t always control our destinies, I´m glad I´m not born in some hunger stricken area of the world
the meaning of life is giving your life a meaning

Zuletzt bearbeitet: