Justify Our Existence

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Zombi

W:O:A Metalmaster
10 Jan. 2002
Edinburgh, Scotland
@Smeagol: I take your answer, but strongly disagree.

@Warthog: Nice explanation. Thanks.

Any more ideas from anyone? I want to see some more opinions. All will be useful in the future.

Zombi

10 Jan. 2002
Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally posted by Rock'n'Roll
Because every creatures are placed here... That's why...
Are you asking the ants and the elephants as well...???

Because we are placed here...that justifies us being here?

hehe the simplest solution is usually right one, as they say.. :)

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
We were possible, so we are. No justification needed. It would be sad (in my humble opinion) if mankind would cease to exist, but nothing bad would happen. Evolution would still occur and interesting by-products like us can happen anytime.

@smeagol: Cool that you don't give up - we atheists need different viewpoints desperately to think things over from time to time. Cool that you stick with us.

@Warthog: I think I totally agree to everything you said, only I would maybe rephrase it in slightly more cynical and annoying ways. Maybe I'd also be tempted to make stupid lists, like ´"a hundred reasons for humans".

mugabe

W:O:A Metalhead
7 Aug. 2002
Avesta, Sweden
www.kurtz.se
Originally posted by Warthog
The fact that we're even aware enough to ask questions like these is all the justification you need, I think. We're scientists, artists, and philosophers, attempting to experience and understand the world around us. Quoting Carl Sagan, we're "alive inside the universe." The universe would be useless if there were no sentient beings to enjoy it, don't you think?
When we die, do we haunt the sky?
Do we lurk in the murk of the seas?
What then? Are we born again?
Just to sit asking questions like these?

Spinal Tap - "The Majesty of Rock"

Warthog

29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us
Originally posted by monochrom
@Warthog: I think I totally agree to everything you said, only I would maybe rephrase it in slightly more cynical and annoying ways. Maybe I'd also be tempted to make stupid lists, like ´"a hundred reasons for humans".

I'd even take it so far as to take any humans who do not qualify as "useful" under those 100 reasons, and deport them to our space mining colonies on the moon, since we'll need to start tapping the moon for mineral resources fairly soon. Of course, that's probably a little too close to Nazism for some people's tastes, and I can certainly understand that.

Smeagol

W:O:A Metalhead
19 Dez. 2001
Website besuchen
@monochrom

It is always cool to speak about many subjects with people with different points of views in a respectful way. It can bring us each other. And our views can change and evolve with time, experience of life...it is not fixed.

regards,

Smeagol

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Do we really need a reason to go on living?

If you get drunk, meet nice people, listen to music, watch films, do what you think is nice.

Why try and find a meaning of life?

I think that if you are not religious you will not find a meaning of life...

Zombi

10 Jan. 2002
Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally posted by gnoff
Do we really need a reason to go on living?

If you get drunk, meet nice people, listen to music, watch films, do what you think is nice.

Why try and find a meaning of life?

I think that if you are not religious you will not find a meaning of life...

i am not trying to find a meaning of life. We already have had this discussion and I stated myself very clearly.

What I was wondering was if we can justify this life.

Alessa

26 Jan. 2003
Wilts,England
Website besuchen
To me anything spiritual or artistic is just an escape from the ordinary to make us feel more individual, when in reality we're just another group of organisms. I thnk it's just 'excess thought' which justifies our existance, for example believing 'love' is something other than just chemical reactions and the need for a feeling of worth. If everyone looked at things in a totally logical and scientific way we would look at ourselves as being mechanical, which for some reason seems to lessen our worth.

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Originally posted by Zombi
i am not trying to find a meaning of life. We already have had this discussion and I stated myself very clearly.

What I was wondering was if we can justify this life.

Well, for me it just says the same thing, even if you say "justify this life" in my ears i still hear "find the meaning of life"

To justify why we (mankind) are put here on this earth, and to find out why or how we should be doing to justify our existence.
I don't know, it just all boils down to the same thing, why should we justify ourself?
To whom should we do it?

For me it keeps going over and over and all ends up with:
Is there a god?
What is the meaning of life?

Those two questions, together with anything about justifying my own existence is just not my thing.

I don't even understand why one would try and find that kind of answer unless one is looking for some kind of religious answer...

Hope I don't sound "angry" or whatever, just my answer as best I can give.
Trying to participate in a serious discussion for once instead of spamming ;)

Zombi

10 Jan. 2002
Edinburgh, Scotland
There is a difference.

I am not asking "Why are we here?"

It's more like "Should we be here?" or "What right do we have to be here?"

I am not looking for a religious answer. or asking the meaning of life (which I believe there is none) or if there is a god (which I believe there is none)

Maybe I should rephrase the question. or just change it, haha.

Think of it this way..."what makes us humans so good that we shouldn't just be swiped off the earth by some aliens?"