Justify Our Existence

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Zombi

W:O:A Metalmaster
10 Jan. 2002
Edinburgh, Scotland
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. So I put it to this forum to hear your thoughts.

Can you justify mankind's existence?

In other words..what gives us the right to spend a minute longer in this universe?

I have my own ideas...but I wanna hear what you all have to say.

Warthog

29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us
The fact that we're even aware enough to ask questions like these is all the justification you need, I think. We're scientists, artists, and philosophers, attempting to experience and understand the world around us. Quoting Carl Sagan, we're "alive inside the universe." The universe would be useless if there were no sentient beings to enjoy it, don't you think?

Zombi

10 Jan. 2002
Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally posted by Warthog
The fact that we're even aware enough to ask questions like these is all the justification you need, I think. We're scientists, artists, and philosophers, attempting to experience and understand the world around us. Quoting Carl Sagan, we're "alive inside the universe." The universe would be useless if there were no sentient beings to enjoy it, don't you think?

Good answer.

But somehow that doesn't do it for me. I feel we are speaking of a such a small percentage of humanity. We have made beautiful music, beautiful artwork and beautiful arguments...but these have been made by single people...and if you grouped them all together they would probably make less than one percent of the entire human population throughout time. Does this really justify mankind as a whole, or merely the few among us?

Originally posted by Zombi
Good answer.

But somehow that doesn't do it for me. I feel we are speaking of a such a small percentage of humanity. We have made beautiful music, beautiful artwork and beautiful arguments...but these have been made by single people...and if you grouped them all together they would probably make less than one percent of the entire human population throughout time. Does this really justify mankind as a whole, or merely the few among us?
Hitler did some research like that, and who are to judge who's good or bad, pretty or ugly, smart or dumb...NOONE...

Everyone has the right to be here. But it is too bad so many people are fighting each other...

Smeagol

W:O:A Metalhead
19 Dez. 2001
Website besuchen
Hello Zombi,

I remember we have discussed about the meaning of life with Schizzo, monochrom and others, and though I was the only non-materialist in the thread we all agreed that, in a way, it is you that give the meaning of your life :D

I practise Yoga and spiritual ways such meditation. Shortly, I think we can reach higher levels of consciouness and that such questions cannot be "solve" just by our intellectual human faculty. We could discuss for a long time and tell what we believe/think/hope. I think truth is not in words but beyond the words (?) :cool:

regards,

Smeagol

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Zombi

10 Jan. 2002
Edinburgh, Scotland
Re: Re: Justify Our Existence

Originally posted by Smeagol

Shortly, I think we can reach higher levels of consciouness and that such questions cannot be "solve" just by our intellectual human faculty.

I'm sorry....I can't accept that. That is too a religious (and especially christian) answer for me.

It is too easy to say "we are not supposed or cannot know these things" then to actually try and figure them out.

It's thanks to people like you that it took so long for the Renaissance to happen, or who try and hold scientists back from genetic engineering(that could save people lives)

...you are scared that the truth does not comply to your beliefs.

Smeagol

W:O:A Metalhead
19 Dez. 2001
Website besuchen
Re: Re: Re: Justify Our Existence

I am myself a scientist student in genetics and neurobiology.

But that was my personal answer take it or leave it !

Smeagol

Warthog

29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us
Originally posted by Zombi
Good answer.

Think of it this way - take a city with a decent sized local music scene. Chances are (if it's anything like the DC scene), 9 out of 10 bands in that city are fucking awful...they can't play, can't write good songs, don't take music seriously, are just fucking around, whatever. But then a few truly great bands come out of that scene. Should that city ban all musicians because the great artists creating truly excellent work are a small minority?

For every one person who creates a great work of art, like a song or a book or a painting, there are many thousands (if not millions) more people who will be able to enjoy what that one person created. And perhaps that one person's creation will inspire many of those people to create their own works, or to move on to greater things in life. The consequences of a single act can be great!

Granted, many people are just dead weight, taking up space and breathing up good air. But that's no reason to blot out the whole human race.

But there are a few people here and there we can do without, hehe. ;)