Helping foreigners on german metal festivals

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

gnoff

W:O:A Metalmaster
9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Well I guess I might look as a skinhead right now, but rest assured I don't behave like one :)

I think it's a shame that one can not shave ones head without a lot of poeple automaticaly think you're a racist...

That suck.

calonderiel

W:O:A Metalhead
8 Jan. 2003
Near Paris, France
Website besuchen
Though I'm not a reg of the forum (yet) I can and would be glad to help.
A big board is definitely needed. Announces made from the stage are all in german, and with the sound distortion are near to impossible to understand for people not fluent in german. Not to mention people who don't speak german at all.

Anyway, being French I can help with the french translating, and I can also get portuguese translation from my wife.

PsychicVeteran

Originally posted by Warthog
I have nothing to offer but bastardized "American English" :p

But I had a thought - something that might be helpful is a guide in each language of German terms that might be common at the festival. Travel guides usually have lists like these of key words to look for.

For example, at the beer stands I was trying to figure out what a "Pfand" was and why it cost 1 Euro, until I discovered that that meant that beer was 3 Euro if you had a glass, 4 Euro without.

@Warthog,

the key factor about Pfand (=deposit) as you no doubt discovered is that you get cash back for your glass.

@Monochrom: I can also help out from German to English, and I'll talk to a Bulgarian friend of mine! Perhaps we should consider offering our services directly to Holger and Ingo - I've always felt a little sorry for UK people coming to Germany - they tend to have learnt French rather than German at school anyway.

@any English speakers who may need help before or at the festival - send me a Personal Message

9 Dez. 2002
Eindhoven
Website besuchen
didn't read all the replies, so don't know if i'm the first one, but i can translate english - dutch if you'd like.

ps, if you sent it to everyone in english, make it the german part is translated from the english original as well. Do not create the original in german first or the double translations (german-english-whutever) will cause bigger differences in context.

PsychicVeteran

Originally posted by NothingOriginal
didn't read all the replies, so don't know if i'm the first one, but i can translate english - dutch if you'd like.

ps, if you sent it to everyone in english, make it the german part is translated from the english original as well. Do not create the original in german first or the double translations (german-english-whutever) will cause bigger differences in context.

Sorry, disagree here - German has to be the starting point - that's what all the signs, notices etc. are in - I'm fluent in both languages (British father, German mother) spent roughly half my life in England and the other half in Germany.

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
I'm still up for translation from English to Swedish.

But another thought, if there are some smaller translations that need to be done, that might not take to long, I can via friends probably get some more languages if needed.

Finnish, Hungarian, Serbian I know I can get.

If needed also: Norwegian, Dutch, French, German, Spanish
But I believe these languages will be translated by forum members anyhow :)

Fallen_Knight

22 Mai 2002
Leider Schweden
PsychicVeteran: You mean you spent half your- so-far-lived life in Germany and the other in Britain? ;)

Saying so can make people believe you are very ver very old :D :D :D

PsychicVeteran

Originally posted by Fallen_Knight
PsychicVeteran: You mean you spent half your- so-far-lived life in Germany and the other in Britain? ;)

Saying so can make people believe you are very ver very old :D :D :D

Take a look at my profile - it's downhill all the way for me now ;)

Or put another way :

1964-1969: Germany

1969-1989: England

1989-1991: Luxembourg

1991-.... : Germany

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Originally posted by calonderiel
Though I'm not a reg of the forum (yet) I can and would be glad to help.
A big board is definitely needed. Announces made from the stage are all in german, and with the sound distortion are near to impossible to understand for people not fluent in german. Not to mention people who don't speak german at all.

Anyway, being French I can help with the french translating, and I can also get portuguese translation from my wife.

Thx a lot, I'll let you know when we start.

Lucretia

10 Okt. 2002
Hamburg
Originally posted by mugabe
Bit off-topic here, but is anyone familiar with the German word "Vaterstuhl"? I claim it means "toilet", but no one agrees.

/me doesn´t know that word... maybe its popular in some parts of Germany or old-fashioned - I don´t think I have ever heard that...

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
I think this thread is good as well, since the information last year was mainly in german and we could help to make it better this year.

*pushing*