Helping foreigners on german metal festivals

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

monochrom

W:O:A Metalmaster
15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Hello everyone, monochrom from Hamburg.

Lots of metals have had problems with line-up changes during festivals. It is even worse if you don't speak the language, as stage-announcements and word of mouth misses you completely. What to do, as of course we do not want our foreign metalheads to have a bad time in our country?

Two things.

First, we need LARGE announcement boards at the entrance (Yes, the ONLY logical place for any important sign) - the Summer-Breeze guys have it (Anyway it's not such a big problem, only two stages and small festival ground) and from what I've heard and read, Wacken definitely needs this. The forumlers (Who seem to be very good organized, nice HP) could even organize it as a service to the foreigners - apparently the Wacken guys have got an organisation problem, although I'm not the to comment as I've not been able to participate this year.

Second, better information on the booklets. Bi- or trilingual doesn't work, it only shows the bad language skills of festival organisers. But something like the location of the 5 most important places on the festival, and that in the most important languages, should be in every festival booklet.

So, I thought I could organize that. Not for this season, but the next one. I am trying to get the powermetal.de - guys or someone who has connections to the 5 or 6 most important festivals, so we could organize that this information goes into next years booklets. For this, we'd need metalheads with good language skills, as I am only useful for english.

Two questions:

Who'd be willing to do some very basic translation work, it won't be more than three or four sentences? I think french, swedish, spanish, italian, russian would be a good idea and we'd reach most of the people. The dutch usually speak excellent german and english, so they are not the biggest problem. I included russian because it is understood by a lot of people from all the eastern european countries.

What information is so essential that everyone needs to know it? Hospital tents, Infopoints, Shuttlebus-Services are the first things that come to mind ...

Well, just an idea and this seemed the perfect place to ask.

Stay metal

monochrom

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
I could translate from English to Swedish, no problem.

Could probably get help to translate from German to Swedish as well if needed, not by myself but via a friend of mine :)

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Obviously ...

... you would get the material in english.

I like this idea. It's simple and a lot of people would profit.

Let's see what the powermetal guy will say, seems that they like the idea and want to talk to the festival organizers ...

Thanks

monochrom

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
The announcement board question

We now got it at Summer-Breeze, but we definitely need it at Wacken and Full Force. But I'll meet some online-metalmag guys next week-end at Summer-Breeze, and then we'll plan it so the organizers only have to inform us about the line-up changes. We'll do the rest.

Could actually be jolly good fun - meeting foreign metals is always cool.

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Thanks Guys

I knew this would work. Are you regular forumlers? If so, I'd keep you updated here with this plan, first I'm gonna meet some people at Summer-Breeze, then some e-mails to the different festivals, afterwards we get a team of translators together and next season we'll all be saved some problems.

While thinking (And smoking some nice Hamburg grass) - why not ask one of the big festival sponsors (Like Drum, Levis, Other Corporate Fucks) if they could install something like the "Drum-Festivalboard", with advertising space and blond chicks who manually adjust the line-up board?

Sounds like a money idea, actually.

Have to think more.

Until later,

monochrom

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
@monochrom
I sure am a regular forum-user and I've seen Rosk in here since I started using it :)
Haven't been a member for very long, but as long as this site will exist, I'll be on the forum until next Wacken :D

mugabe

W:O:A Metalhead
7 Aug. 2002
Avesta, Sweden
www.kurtz.se
I believe a Swedish translation will be superfluous, since swedes are at least as proficient in English as Dutch people. Also I imagine, for some reason, that metal fans of all nationalities have at least a basic knowledge of English. Yes, germans included. :)

It is a good idea, but maybe it is best to keep it simple.

/mug

Rosk

30 Mai 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
@monochrome

Yes I'm a regular user as gnoff already told you. And as the other guys I will be around here at least until WOA 2003 :D

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Please ...

Not too many "advance - thank yous" .

Thank me AFTER I've accomplished something - so far I only sent some mails and talked to some people.

But I want these signs at the festival-entrances, and I'm gonna invest some time in the issue.

CU round

monochrom

Lordwalter

23 Apr. 2002
Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA
www.metal-daze.com
I could also help you with the Spanish Translation. Just in the case you need more than one helper.

I´m a regular formular too. At least since April - May 2002. And I really hope to stay here at least for the next 25 years. Why so long? It´s rather simple. Because in 25 years I hope to have a Son "little Lordwalter" who can exempt me from my forum obligations!!! he he he he!!

See you brothers!

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Thanks once more

Now I'm mostly searching for s.o. who can speak french - maybe even for a fast job, translating a few lines for summer-breeze festival. Do you know guys know anyone?

@mugabe: YesI know that all skandinavian babies are already skilled in eight languages, and tend to pick them up like we others do pick up veneral diseases. Still, there are so many coming - it would be nice to make them feel at home. Yes I know that they are at home where the beer is, but anyway, this is only very basic information (2-3 sentences) in the booklet, would be nice to have skandinavian language included.

Also, what about italians? I mean, I do love you people - but your countrymen always seem the most lost on festivals. You also don't seem to care.

But, in general, what would be helpful for foreigners on german festivals?

I've talked to some really helpful people, seems that the festival-guys really want to help.

Oh well, cu later ...

mono