Helping foreigners on german metal festivals

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Thordis V.

W:O:A Metalgod
25 Nov. 2001
Linz und Bern
www.myspace.com
I'm pretty sorry that you're just looking for 'perfect' speakers as you mentioned in the other 'looking for italian' thread - maybe I've studied Italian since I was 5 and maybe I don't have the same skills as a native speaker but at least I passed my final exam with a good mark, made the third place a competition for Italian speakers and I spend many weeks in Italy and good language schools like CLIDA.

Well, pitty but I can't help then.

Ciao.

^Narkan^

22 Aug. 2002
Florence, Italy
Website besuchen
Well, I'm new on this forum because I've never posted on here, but I read this quite often, W:O:A 2k2 was my first Wacken and I've already planned a trip to Wacken for 2k3 and 2k4 summer too :)

Anyway, related to this thread, I'm Italian and I can easily translate from English to Italian.... me and other friends missed Candlemass because of a misunderstanding of the advices and felt very bad when we saw the the W:O:A program/magazine was only available in German :)

Contact me here or by email if you wish... send me a PM if you need my ICQ number :)

monochrom

W:O:A Metalmaster
15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Back from Summer-Breeze

And finally, forumlers proficient in italian.

@Thordis: Actually you would be pretty perfect for this project - just checked out your homepage, wow, what a language-wonder you are!

@Narkan: Great that you are on board, yes, the problems you posted are exactly the reasons I'm doing this. Gonna send a lot of e-mails to Holger soon, we don't want you to miss anything.

So, this is all in its early stages, but I'll post from time to time when things are happening.

Thx again, everyone, keep on rockin'

mono

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
*Haulingupmyveryfirstthread*

For you newcomers, this is a little project I'm working on. The Summer-Breeze guys have given me a go, they want infos in many languages. The Full Force guys are also interested, but not yet in full planning. The WOA-guys are a little slow sometimes, but I think in the end they will see that this is a good idea.

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Originally posted by Supercharger
If you need someone for translating from German to English and German to Dutch I'm happy to help out

Yes, I still need a Dutch interpreter. Welcome aboard the translation team, supercharger.

So far I've got people for

English
Swedish
Spanish
Japanese
French
Italian
Dutch

What I'm looking for is:
Russian
Polish
Portuguese
Turkish
Serbian/Croat
Danish (I know every Dane speaks english and german, but hey, we've even got a danish minority in Northern Germany and it would be nice to give them that service)

Warthog

29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us
I have nothing to offer but bastardized "American English" :p

But I had a thought - something that might be helpful is a guide in each language of German terms that might be common at the festival. Travel guides usually have lists like these of key words to look for.

For example, at the beer stands I was trying to figure out what a "Pfand" was and why it cost 1 Euro, until I discovered that that meant that beer was 3 Euro if you had a glass, 4 Euro without.

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Originally posted by konstrukt
hmm... no hebrew eh? :)

Not enough Israeli metalheads, only Eternal Gray...

There are very few bangers from Israel coming over (I know a girl who works for an israeli metal zine), they speak near-perfect english and some of them are quite good at german. So I don't know if it actually makes sense. Would be nice to have hebrew, though.

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Originally posted by Warthog
I have nothing to offer but bastardized "American English" :p

But I had a thought - something that might be helpful is a guide in each language of German terms that might be common at the festival. Travel guides usually have lists like these of key words to look for.

For example, at the beer stands I was trying to figure out what a "Pfand" was and why it cost 1 Euro, until I discovered that that meant that beer was 3 Euro if you had a glass, 4 Euro without.

Good idea, actually. Maybe we can include that on the info-paper. I'll give it a thought.

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Originally posted by Supercharger
So when can I start translating monochrom?

Oh man, Ray, you're way too fast. The Summer-Breeze and WFF-Teams will give me the infos sometime in February/March at the earliest, the WOA-guys haven't even answered yet. So we won't be doing any work until then.

*Is very happy to have such eager translators*

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
One could always start translating the "Programm Magazin" from WOA 2002 :D

At least the festival ABC is available in english, but the rest one would need better knowledge of german than I have to translate...

Warthog

29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us
Soy taco burrito chimichanga el camino los pueblos tequila marijuana speedy gonzalez...

Yeah, my Spanish sucks. :(

As for Israelis - I did meet one Israeli girl who was hanging around with a bunch of German guys from Ahlen (I think that's the name?). And I remember seeing at least one forumler here asking whether he should be worried about skinhead activity at Wacken. So they're out there.

It's true that most Israelis speak fluent English - most of them are expatriate Jews from US, Russia, etc.