2 1/2 weeks in Scandanavia

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
So I'm guessing this would be a better deal than the Eurorail pass (15 days is $415). And also I couldnt find it on their website, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, but how close to Wacken will I be able to get on this train? I'm 22 so I can get the cheaper ticket! I was also hoping to camp some as to save money since I'll have all my stuff for Wacken on me anyways and try to limit my eating out.

Eurorail is never mentioned in Europe as it is a typical American travel card for Europe. In Europe this card is called INTERRAIL. It's the same card though, different conditions.

gnoff

W:O:A Metalmaster
9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
does this have anything to do with the SJ railroad gnoff mentioned?

SJ is an abbreviation in Swedish for Statens Järnvägar, translating into "Government Railroad".
Pretty much the same thing as DB in Germany (Deutsche Bahn).

I'm fairly sure the Interrail is not valid in Sweden, at least not for Swedes.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
SJ is an abbreviation in Swedish for Statens Järnvägar, translating into "Government Railroad".
Pretty much the same thing as DB in Germany (Deutsche Bahn).

I'm fairly sure the Interrail is not valid in Sweden, at least not for Swedes.

Interrail is valid in Sweden. (but like Gnoff said, except for Swedes)

Interrail is never valid for the country you're living in! (in my case, I can go to NL, even when I'm Dutch, but NOT to Belgium)

Eurorail doesn't have that limitation, but is not available in Europe, only in America! (but VALID in Europe!!!)

And SJ participates in both Interrail as Eurorail.

Lucretia

10 Okt. 2002
Hamburg
So I'm guessing this would be a better deal than the Eurorail pass (15 days is $415). And also I couldnt find it on their website, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, but how close to Wacken will I be able to get on this train? I'm 22 so I can get the cheaper ticket! I was also hoping to camp some as to save money since I'll have all my stuff for Wacken on me anyways and try to limit my eating out.

German train website (www.bahn.de) says you can go by train from Copenhagen to Itzehoe (there's no train staion in Wacken itself). Trip takes about 6 hours because its mainly slower and regional trains. Costs: about 70-80 € (normal price, but they asked me for the age and I entered 22).

oh, they are also offering a Scandinavia pass, info only in German though:
http://www.bahn.de/p/view/preise/international/paesse/scanrail_pass.shtml
Or is that the one you were already talking about?

costs for people under 25, several options:
165,00 € - you can travel on 5 days within 2 monts
199,00 € - you can travel on 8 days within 2 monts
222,00 € - you can travel on 10 days within 2 monts
258,00 € - you can travel for 21 days in a row

pass is valid for trains in whole Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, ferrys Helsingborg–Helsingør and Puttgarden–Rødby .

Tiara

31 Jan. 2003
MUC
oh, they are also offering a Scandinavia pass, info only in German though:
http://www.bahn.de/p/view/preise/international/paesse/scanrail_pass.shtml
Or is that the one you were already talking about?

costs for people under 25, several options:
165,00 € - you can travel on 5 days within 2 monts
199,00 € - you can travel on 8 days within 2 monts
222,00 € - you can travel on 10 days within 2 monts
258,00 € - you can travel for 21 days in a row

pass is valid for trains in whole Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, ferrys Helsingborg–Helsingør and Puttgarden–Rødby .

that's exactly the one, they were talking about ;) and for the route he wants to take I think the pass is too expensive.

Tiara

31 Jan. 2003
MUC
Depends if he's traveling from Helsinki to Wacken with stops in it. If so, I reckon a pass would be cheaper, he'd only have to pay for the German route afterwards.

but from helsinki to stockholm he has to take the ferry, and you just get 20% or sth
so he would just need the ticket (btw: in sweden you often have to reservate a seat, which is not included in the interrail-price) for the routes from stockholm to göteborg and from göteborg to copenhagen, right? or am I wrong with that?

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
but from helsinki to stockholm he has to take the ferry, and you just get 20% or sth
so he would just need the ticket (btw: in sweden you often have to reservate a seat, which is not included in the interrail-price) for the routes from stockholm to göteborg and from göteborg to copenhagen, right? or am I wrong with that?

You may travel from Stockholm to Göteborg without reserving a specific seat, though you might have to pay for a seat, but not much, perhaps $5-10.

Be warned though that the trains are sometimes very full, and without a reserved seat you might have to stand for the entire trip.

leigonX

W:O:A Metalhead
17 Jan. 2007
Richmond, VA, USA
I'm flying into Helsinksi then taking the ferry to Stockholm. From there train from Stockholm to goteborg, then train to copenhagen, then I guess train to Itzehoe; spending a few days in each place (except Itzehoe). So I'm thinking I don't need train tickets till I get to Sweden. The prices gnoff posted made it look like its cheaper for the individual tickets, which add up to about $70 (Stockholm-goteborg-copenhagen) and then the 80euro ticket from copenhagen to Itzehoe. I could be completely wrong but this is how I understood the posts. thanks for the help once again. Back to doing homework, fuck

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
I'm flying into Helsinksi then taking the ferry to Stockholm. From there train from Stockholm to goteborg, then train to copenhagen, then I guess train to Itzehoe; spending a few days in each place (except Itzehoe). So I'm thinking I don't need train tickets till I get to Sweden. The prices gnoff posted made it look like its cheaper for the individual tickets, which add up to about $70 (Stockholm-goteborg-copenhagen) and then the 80euro ticket from copenhagen to Itzehoe. I could be completely wrong but this is how I understood the posts. thanks for the help once again. Back to doing homework, fuck

Just once more to make sure, for getting those prices you'd need to book well ahead, at least several weeks.

And as always, glad I can help :)

mugabe

W:O:A Metalhead
7 Aug. 2002
Avesta, Sweden
www.kurtz.se
I just bought a ticket for the Stockholm-Copenhagen express in April. It was around 23 USD. Book well in advance and you'll go Stockholm-Gothenburg-Copenhagen for around $40, I'd guess.