• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Deathbringer

W:O:A Metalmaster
13 März 2009
Massachusetts
Damn, all the calculus in my life happened between age 13 and 17. :S

In the USA, we don't usually do calculus until late high school or in university. When I was 14, I was learning algebra. I never got past algebra because my teachers sucked and my school didn't care that I didn't learn it. Now, I'm finding I need a lot more math to compete for a career, so, I'm learning it.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

xforeverxmetalx

W:O:A Metalgod
29 Dez. 2007
In the USA, we don't usually do calculus until late high school or in university. When I was 14, I was learning algebra. I never got passed algebra because my teachers sucked and my school didn't care that I didn't learn it. Now, I'm finding I need a lot more math to compete for a career, so, I'm learning it.

*got past or passed

:p

dishayu

W:O:A Metalhead
12 Sep. 2013
Bedok, Singapore
In the USA, we don't usually do calculus until late high school or in university. When I was 14, I was learning algebra. I never got past algebra because my teachers sucked and my school didn't care that I didn't learn it. Now, I'm finding I need a lot more math to compete for a career, so, I'm learning it.

Hmm, over here we study calculus starting 2 years before high school. In university, we have a couple of chapters worth of calculus recap, in case people have forgotten it between university and high school.

xforeverxmetalx

W:O:A Metalgod
29 Dez. 2007
I'll make a note of that next time we get Germans and whoever else, and they're afraid to speak English because they think they'll say something wrong. :o

Deathbringer

13 März 2009
Massachusetts
I'll make a note of that next time we get Germans and whoever else, and they're afraid to speak English because they think they'll say something wrong. :o

I'm afraid to speak German because I don't like to say things wrong, so I know the feeling. I'm a native English speaker from the USA, I'm expected to have bad English.

Hmm, over here we study calculus starting 2 years before high school. In university, we have a couple of chapters worth of calculus recap, in case people have forgotten it between university and high school.

So, when do you learn algebra? We generally focus on arithmetic from 1st grade (~age 6-7) to 5-6th grade (age 11-12) and then we have pre-algebra for 1-2 years. From there, they learn Algebra 1 (9th grade, age 14-15), Geometry/Algebra 2 (10th-11th grade age 15-17) and then go into pre-calculus, calculus, and so on, if they have the time. The kids that are good at it, well, they advance quicker. I was awful, so they held me back and threw me into an arithmetic class (personal finance) so I'd graduate.

Our system sucks for math.

dishayu

W:O:A Metalhead
12 Sep. 2013
Bedok, Singapore
So, when do you learn algebra? We generally focus on arithmetic from 1st grade (~age 6-7) to 5-6th grade (age 11-12) and then we have pre-algebra for 1-2 years. From there, they learn Algebra 1 (9th grade, age 14-15), Geometry/Algebra 2 (10th-11th grade age 15-17) and then go into pre-calculus, calculus, and so on, if they have the time. The kids that are good at it, well, they advance quicker. I was awful, so they held me back and threw me into an arithmetic class (personal finance) so I'd graduate.

Our system sucks for math.

arithmetic : grade 1-4
basic algebra : grade 5-6
advanced algebra, basic geometry : grade 7-8
pre-calculus, advanced geometry : grade 9-10
calculus + advanced calculus : 11-12

We have a very rigid system, so we can't advance quicker/slower. You study according to the grade you're in. Our system sucks because the study is very result oriented, not learning oriented. 90% of the people don't actually learn a thing.

Deathbringer

13 März 2009
Massachusetts
arithmetic : grade 1-4
basic algebra : grade 5-6
advanced algebra, basic geometry : grade 7-8
pre-calculus, advanced geometry : grade 9-10
calculus + advanced calculus : 11-12

We have a very rigid system, so we can't advance quicker/slower. You study according to the grade you're in. Our system sucks because the study is very result oriented, not learning oriented. 90% of the people don't actually learn a thing.

Ah. We have kind of mix it I suppose. There's a lot of flexibility, but we're starting to go more towards the results oriented because of the increasing standards elsewhere in the world and there's less flexibility in the lower grades now, and those standards in my area are passing over to the high school. I don't like it one bit, especially when a person is advanced.

Edit: What the hell is with my English this evening x.x I think I need to go to bed.