TOBIAS SAMMET’S AVANTASIA – OUT THIS FRIDAY!!!

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Spindelta

W:O:A Metalhead
21 Dez. 2006
I see that Bolt Thrower turned Wacken down, then. Also Primordial booked - a good decision, even if they played three years ago, too.

808Metal

W:O:A Metalmaster
30 Nov. 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
On the positive side

I want to see less "mainstream" bands at Wacken myself, however the core bands do serve a good purpose that many are overlooking. Many newbies like my 13 year old Nephew got into Metal on those types of bands, they were his entry point. He has since moved past them and is into more true, and non Trendy metal (he's 15 now). He even loves classic hard rock and metal like Zeppelin, Sabbath etc. If it had not been for the mainstream shit, he would have probably never gotten into Metal at all. It was the same in the 80s with the Glam bands, many Metal fans started out on that stuff and graduated on to harder stuff. And by the way, I am NOT a hardcore or Metal Core fan, but I have seen Hatebreed live and they suprised the hell out of me and did a great show. Remember this, the Wacken promoters need to make money to keep this thing alive, and face it, appealing to a larger audience helps them do just that. If you dont care for As I lay dying, go to another stage during their set and watch another band perform. that's the beauty of Wacken. Cheers!

Spindelta

21 Dez. 2006
Which Gorgoroth? Infernus' or Gaahl and King's?

I want to see less "mainstream" bands at Wacken myself, however the core bands do serve a good purpose that many are overlooking. Many newbies like my 13 year old Nephew got into Metal on those types of bands, they were his entry point. He has since moved past them and is into more true, and non Trendy metal (he's 15 now). He even loves classic hard rock and metal like Zeppelin, Sabbath etc. If it had not been for the mainstream shit, he would have probably never gotten into Metal at all. It was the same in the 80s with the Glam bands, many Metal fans started out on that stuff and graduated on to harder stuff. And by the way, I am NOT a hardcore or Metal Core fan, but I have seen Hatebreed live and they suprised the hell out of me and did a great show. Remember this, the Wacken promoters need to make money to keep this thing alive, and face it, appealing to a larger audience helps them do just that. If you dont care for As I lay dying, go to another stage during their set and watch another band perform. that's the beauty of Wacken. Cheers!

Possibly all valid points, but none of them in the context of Wacken. Wacken never used to be a festival for children to flock to discover metal, it was a place for metalheads who knew their shit to bask in the glory of undisputed metal. If kids need to discover real metal then they can do their homework on it - the internet makes it awfully easy to discover bands outside of kerrang.

As for the money, Wacken 06 sold out on the virtue of Emperor and Celtic Frost, not because of Soulfly. Wacken does not need trendy bands to sell tickets - it is the single biggest metal festival in the world (as I understand it). Wacken could probably afford to dictate what sort of bands are suitable, not follow in the footsteps of lesser festivals. Iron Maiden, Carcass and ATG are enough to sell out 08 alone, Killswitch and Hatebreed are again unnecessary.

I'm not suggesting that Wacken should only field bands which I personally endorse, but they certainly shouldn't book bands which are suitable for a trend metal festival. The kids can go and see Killswitch play some other shit event, their inclusion is a waste of time and money for a respectable festival. I don't expect a line-up to interest me more than 25%. However I would still at least like the other bands to be actual metal. If I wanted to see any old band jump around with guitars I'd go to Download.

Perhaps the concept of metal festival with no trendy bands doesn't interest some people, but it seemed like a great idea to me. My point is that I don't want festivals to all slowly merge into the same thing. I think there is a place for core bands, or puerile junk like BFMV, but it's not a place I want to be. There should be festivals for people who want nothing to do with that. And I think Wacken used to be one of those festivals.

cyber999

W:O:A Metalmaster
20 Apr. 2007
The Azores - Portugal
u forgot morbid angel :p

well hardcore has to do with metal in some way, because old thrash metal scene came from hardcore.. and death metal,speed metal and black metal came from thrash metal!

i like hatebreed but i agree with you when you say that they dont belong to this festival.. like the older metalcore bands... but saddly music is a business to the media and we cant do anything against that...

ps: sorry! my english isnt the best!

Spindelta

21 Dez. 2006
How could I forget Morbid Angel? They were the best band at that festival!

When I'm talking about 'core' bands, I'm not usually talking about hardcore bands per se. Normally I mean metalcore or deathcore or some unimaginative mix of the pair. There is some hardcore music which I have time for, even though I'm not really a fan. But there is as big a difference between proper hardcore bands and metalcore bands as there is from proper metal bands. Either way, I think that even pure hardcore is far too distinct a genre to include at Wacken, there are hardcore festivals for that.

So yeah, thrash has roots in hardcore (and therefore every other extreme genre except power and doom) but that's considering the older hardcore scene. These crossover bands today take the fashion of the new hardcore scene (especially deathcore, the vapid infantile genre that it is) and apply it to a basic metal knowledge and can't see how they're doing it wrong.

MetalViking

26 Feb. 2007
England
Death to metalcore!
Death to shitty bands like trivium and bfmvt!
Death to all the idiots who think their good metal bands!
Death to the wannabe's!

Whimps and posers, LEAVE THE HALL!