can anyone help me with a few questions...

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.
26 März 2007
and no its not a question about how to get to wacken from the airport :p I'll spare that question till another day ;)

To cut a long story short this is my first time going to wacken and at this rate I'm going to be going by myself since most of my friends have different (tasteless in my opinion) tastes in music and would rather go to a mcfly 'gig' than come with me and no I'm not joking!
So that leads me onto question one...

1)How easy is it will it be to get around the festival for someone who doesn't speak much German? my German skills are extremely weak and whilst I would try and perk them up a bit I'm also going to China at the end of August and I know bugger all Chinese so that's taking priority language wise at the moment.

2)Is there any cultural differences I need to take into account as to not to offend/get arrested/ cause a riot/ general piss people off?

3) Do they allow gas cookers at wacken and if so do they sell the gas cylinders there? I'm flying in to Hamberg and usually I bring a gas cooker in with me to save a bit of money. flying in means obviously not taking gas cylinders with me unless I want my plane to explode of course!

Apologise in advance if some of these questions have been answered or are just rather obvious, I have been told I'm rather simple :D

Sodomy&Lust

W:O:A Metalmaster
13 Apr. 2002
Madrid - Spain
1 - Don't worry about it, people will be nice to you, even if you don't speak German at all ;)

2 - Just don't bring a nazi flag or similar :rolleyes:

3 - No problem at all, I think. At least that's how it was a few years ago

Hope that was useful :)

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
and no its not a question about how to get to wacken from the airport :p I'll spare that question till another day ;)

To cut a long story short this is my first time going to wacken and at this rate I'm going to be going by myself since most of my friends have different (tasteless in my opinion) tastes in music and would rather go to a mcfly 'gig' than come with me and no I'm not joking!
So that leads me onto question one...

1)How easy is it will it be to get around the festival for someone who doesn't speak much German? my German skills are extremely weak and whilst I would try and perk them up a bit I'm also going to China at the end of August and I know bugger all Chinese so that's taking priority language wise at the moment.

2)Is there any cultural differences I need to take into account as to not to offend/get arrested/ cause a riot/ general piss people off?

3) Do they allow gas cookers at wacken and if so do they sell the gas cylinders there? I'm flying in to Hamberg and usually I bring a gas cooker in with me to save a bit of money. flying in means obviously not taking gas cylinders with me unless I want my plane to explode of course!

Apologise in advance if some of these questions have been answered or are just rather obvious, I have been told I'm rather simple :D

1) As said, English will do.
2) is answered.
3) Be aware! The connections for the gas tank and its pit may be different then you are used to. Try to inform if there are adapters, or try to find international fittings!

And as an example, there are differences between BELGIAN and DUTCH fittings, even though we're neighbouring countries.

Mjollnir

W:O:A Metalhead
1) An alien visitor to Germany would surely think that English was an official language. A British Imperialist would say it should be! :cool:

2)Yes! A very important one is when one clinks glasses with another chap, one must stare straight into the other chaps eyes like some kind of rabid animal. If one does not adhere to this rule, one has, according to tradition, bad sex for 7 years.

If you happen to be Heathen (I'm speaking from personal experience) then obviously don't bring anything with a fylfot on it. Be careful of anything with runes on it and if you can, tuck your Mjollnir (Thors Hammer) under your shirt or face to possibility of being labelled a Nazi or similar. I had no problem with this back home in New Zealand :confused:

3) Gas cooker... Right, what's your number? :D I designate you as my kitchen bitch. "Go cook me some eggs... he-heh.."

agresionpower

W:O:A Metalgod
22 Juni 2005
Almere, Holland
If you happen to be Heathen (I'm speaking from personal experience) then obviously don't bring anything with a fylfot on it. Be careful of anything with runes on it and if you can, tuck your Mjollnir (Thors Hammer) under your shirt or face to possibility of being labelled a Nazi or similar. I had no problem with this back home in New Zealand :confused:

many pagan (heathen) symbols where used by the nazi's... so as you say be carefull with some of them although I don't expact much trouble with most of the pagan symbols at WOA

Kate McGee

W:O:A Metalgod
13 Aug. 2002
Kronach
franconianpsycho.blogspot.com
many pagan (heathen) symbols where used by the nazi's... so as you say be carefull with some of them although I don't expact much trouble with most of the pagan symbols at WOA

Well, not at WOA, but at least on the way to the festival and on the way back home. If you're stopped by the police for any reason if you come there by your own car, they might search your car for Nazi music etc. :rolleyes: but they sometimes do that anyway. :D

Schweinchen

W:O:A Metalmaster
20 März 2004
DD
Website besuchen
Well, not at WOA, but at least on the way to the festival and on the way back home. If you're stopped by the police for any reason if you come there by your own car, they might search your car for Nazi music etc. :rolleyes: but they sometimes do that anyway. :D

Regarding heathen Nazi symbols I can say there are things that are legal and some that are still banned for historical reasons... :rolleyes:

What is forbidden is the swastika, that guarantees immediate trouble because every policeman or -woman knows it.

Also forbidden afaik - and ianal - are the double sig rune as the SS used it (and as it appears in my last name if I write it in futhark... :rolleyes: ) and the rune for o, because these were symbols of "organisations hostile to the constitution" (today's constitution, that is). In general, everything that nazi organisations had as symbols falls under this law. The mjoellnir is NOT forbidden, as it wasn't used by the nazis as a political or organisational symbol. I wear it every day in an area where there are problems with nazi-labelled violence and nobody mistakenly accused me of nazism so far. That may be because of my long hair and the fact that I speak english with my girlfriend in public, though, so if you wear short hair, people will more likely look strange on you. ;)

I could extend this little essay, but I hope this helps foreign non-nazi pagans visiting Wacken a bit. :)

Sevren

W:O:A Metalhead
3 Mai 2007
New Zealand
Some more very good advice for the Wacken newbies (like myself). I would hope the Glastonbury would warn a few just how "slick" it can get at festivals.

How would the Sacred Reich fans go with their T-Shirts I wonder. Not that I would suggest trying it.

3) Gas cooker... Right, what's your number? :D I designate you as my kitchen bitch. "Go cook me some eggs... he-heh.."

Wonder how many non-kiwis would recognise that refference :confused: