Query to wacken vets.

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Pantho

13 Sep. 2012
So I'm a wacken virgin, I've been to a few festivals though so I know pretty much what to expect just they've always been in the UK.
Transport is all sorted and I've a friend meeting me at the airport to give me a lift to the festival, and I kinda assume back to the airport although I didn't ask that. And thanks to good old amazon I just bought a new tent and had it delivered to him, was cheaper than paying for extra cargohold space or to ship my usual tent since amazon have free delivery to most eu countries.

Anyway, there are a few questions I have regarding attending Wacken that might alter from UK festivals etc:

I expect there to be an obscene amount of food kiosks and the like so I won't have to bring any food, although I was told the pricing isn't as bad at wacken as the UK festivals are. Is there a great range of food as I'm a picky git at times?

Toilet situations? At Sonisphere&Download in the UK it's pretty much just mass amount of portable toilets that get cleaned daily, with some form of posh clean version that you can pay for. Is it the same at wacken? Or do they use some giant septic tank with seats on the top which will make me gip while pooping.

Phone charging, I've found the 2 euro thing but am curious to people who have used this. I normally take a cheap £10 phone to festivals and leave my smartphone at home, but I could do with remaining connected to my online hectic life while at wacken. So I decided to take the S3 along with me, but the battery life if used regular throughout the day will wear it down daily. Can I just pay 2 euro and drop it off at night to pick it up in the morning or is the 2 euro just for a quick 1 hour 12v charge that's going to die after half an hour?

Showers, usually I got all stinky at festivals. However I will be at Wacken from Monday through to Sunday and then will be on a flight and really don't like the idea of festering through airports. Any chance they're are decent private showers available, not caring about minor charges?

Atmosphere query. I'm a fairly calm and quite person, well until I get comfy/drunk I guess. The thing I've loved about Sonisphere&Download in the UK is the amazing community that it has. When you compare it to the shit holes like Leeds Festival you don't get all the violence and stupidity. I mean you get some no matter what happens but I just mean does Wacken tend to have the general "one for all and all for one" attitude that the UK rock/metal festivals have going on.

Minor curiosity about the airport at hamburg. Does the airport get extremely crowded because of the festival? I'm not sure how many people fly in for Wacken. I mean more related to the flying out on Sunday, I'm flying to Copenhagen to meet a friend first so I'm not really bothered about on the way.

Regards
Pantho,
Sheffield, UK

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
I'll answer what I can answer.

So I'm a wacken virgin, I've been to a few festivals though so I know pretty much what to expect just they've always been in the UK.
Transport is all sorted and I've a friend meeting me at the airport to give me a lift to the festival, and I kinda assume back to the airport although I didn't ask that. And thanks to good old amazon I just bought a new tent and had it delivered to him, was cheaper than paying for extra cargohold space or to ship my usual tent since amazon have free delivery to most eu countries.

Anyway, there are a few questions I have regarding attending Wacken that might alter from UK festivals etc:

I expect there to be an obscene amount of food kiosks and the like so I won't have to bring any food, although I was told the pricing isn't as bad at wacken as the UK festivals are. Is there a great range of food as I'm a picky git at times?
In the Vikinger area, and the Wacken Plaza, just before the festival, there are many food stands. In the festival area of course, there are some too. Shouldn't be a problem then.

In the camping area, there is a small choice. Mostly a supermarket, and a breakfast stand, which is open all day.
Toilet situations? At Sonisphere&Download in the UK it's pretty much just mass amount of portable toilets that get cleaned daily, with some form of posh clean version that you can pay for. Is it the same at wacken? Or do they use some giant septic tank with seats on the top which will make me gip while pooping.
We call 'em Dixi's and I thinik that's about the same thing. Cleaned several times a day. There are also paying toilets. At least in every camp site. Same goes with showers there.
Phone charging, I've found the 2 euro thing but am curious to people who have used this. I normally take a cheap £10 phone to festivals and leave my smartphone at home, but I could do with remaining connected to my online hectic life while at wacken. So I decided to take the S3 along with me, but the battery life if used regular throughout the day will wear it down daily. Can I just pay 2 euro and drop it off at night to pick it up in the morning or is the 2 euro just for a quick 1 hour 12v charge that's going to die after half an hour?
If I were you, Ii'd leave the thing at home, or at least somewhere safe, instead of Wacken. The WiFi connection doesn't seem to work properly as it is anyways. (from what I heard)
And besides, you won't have time to go online. Just take a simple phone, so you can be contacted etc. that will last a good week on battery. Otherwise, there's the WOA-office in the main street, and that 2€ thing I've never heard of. :p
Showers, usually I got all stinky at festivals. However I will be at Wacken from Monday through to Sunday and then will be on a flight and really don't like the idea of festering through airports. Any chance they're are decent private showers available, not caring about minor charges?
I know there are showers at big railway stations (Hamburg Altona/Hbf etc.) but in airports... ?
If not, see the answer with the toilets. Showers available at the festival itself.
Atmosphere query. I'm a fairly calm and quite person, well until I get comfy/drunk I guess. The thing I've loved about Sonisphere&Download in the UK is the amazing community that it has. When you compare it to the shit holes like Leeds Festival you don't get all the violence and stupidity. I mean you get some no matter what happens but I just mean does Wacken tend to have the general "one for all and all for one" attitude that the UK rock/metal festivals have going on.
In the 13 times I"ve been, it's always been easy to make friends, especially if you spend a beer (at the camp site) here or there. (or get one in return)
Shitty people are everywhere, but there's never been any case of big violent behaviour in Wacken. It's like one big community. :)
Minor curiosity about the airport at hamburg. Does the airport get extremely crowded because of the festival? I'm not sure how many people fly in for Wacken. I mean more related to the flying out on Sunday, I'm flying to Copenhagen to meet a friend first so I'm not really bothered about on the way.

Regards
Pantho,
Sheffield, UK

Don't know that one. I don't fly.

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia

Regards
Pantho,
Sheffield, UK

Both times I've been I didn't see very many people at the airport who remotely looked like they just flew in for Wacken, and a couple of small groups here and there upon leaving Hamburg after the festival. Many will fly from abroad but they won't all arrive the day before/of, and they won't all leave the day the festival ends either. It'll just be another normal summer day as far as the airport is concerned. If you have any questions, the airport staff are well aware of the festival and happy to help out where they can.

Pantho

13 Sep. 2012
If I were you, Ii'd leave the thing at home, or at least somewhere safe, instead of Wacken. The WiFi connection doesn't seem to work properly as it is anyways. (from what I heard)
And besides, you won't have time to go online. Just take a simple phone, so you can be contacted etc. that will last a good week on battery. Otherwise, there's the WOA-office in the main street, and that 2€ thing I've never heard of. :p

I'd normally agree with you, but I'm going to be away for 10 days total and need keep in contact for work reasons really. I don't care about the free wifi, but do you know if any 3g connections will be viable? Although actually I only care about emails so gprs is ample.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
I'd normally agree with you, but I'm going to be away for 10 days total and need keep in contact for work reasons really. I don't care about the free wifi, but do you know if any 3g connections will be viable? Although actually I only care about emails so gprs is ample.

Tja... in that case...

I can't answer your question actually. Since I don't have roaming data traffic, I never use it. But I reckon reading e-mails shouldn't be to hard, even with the (semi) free WiFi you have there.
But... I'd stick to my original idea, and use 2 phones then. The simple one for the reasons I told you before, and the smartphone for reading mails. That's 5sec. time and that's it.

Tri-6

W:O:A Metalhead
13 Aug. 2012
St. Louis, MO USA
A shower related question. I doubt by Wacken time I'll be over jetlag and will probably be not totally on German time. So I'm sure I'll be up late and sleeping late. Do things like the showers run all night?

Danke!

And a minute later my dumbass finds the info on the website. :o

Tri-6

13 Aug. 2012
St. Louis, MO USA
24/7. But you risk lines between 7 and 9am.

Oh I'm sure. I'll probably try to grab a quick shower before I pass out or something, or in the afternoon. I"ve put together my show list and on Thursday and Saturday I don't have any shows until around 5pm. I do my share of camping here so I don't have a problem with going a couple days without a good shower, but I'm going to need to take at least one while I"m there.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Oh I'm sure. I'll probably try to grab a quick shower before I pass out or something, or in the afternoon. I"ve put together my show list and on Thursday and Saturday I don't have any shows until around 5pm. I do my share of camping here so I don't have a problem with going a couple days without a good shower, but I'm going to need to take at least one while I"m there.

Why not go to the swimming pool then? There are showers there too.

Alix

12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
A shower related question. I doubt by Wacken time I'll be over jetlag and will probably be not totally on German time. So I'm sure I'll be up late and sleeping late. Do things like the showers run all night?

Danke!

And a minute later my dumbass finds the info on the website. :o

Are you planning to arrive the day of the festival or something? :o Just as a heads up - you won't be sleeping past 8am unless it's raining, so don't count on sleeping late...

Tri-6

13 Aug. 2012
St. Louis, MO USA
Are you planning to arrive the day of the festival or something? :o Just as a heads up - you won't be sleeping past 8am unless it's raining, so don't count on sleeping late...

I'm getting there on the Monday morning before, barring any flight issues from the USofA. Hopefully 2 days gets me over most of the jetlag before I get to the fest. And liters of sleeping aid to help put me down at the proper time can't hurt. :D

Alix

12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
I'm getting there on the Monday morning before, barring any flight issues from the USofA. Hopefully 2 days gets me over most of the jetlag before I get to the fest. And liters of sleeping aid to help put me down at the proper time can't hurt. :D

Ah good. I'm sure I've heard of people travelling abroad and arriving in the country on the Wednesday; I don't know how they do it.

I was going to comment about the jetlag, but then I remembered not everyone can sleep 14 hours straight :p