Possible visit to Australia July 2013

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

gnoff

W:O:A Metalmaster
9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
I posted this on another forum, but thought I might as well post it here as well, see if I can get answers from different sources ;)

---

So to you Aussies out there, and others that have visited the continent down under.

I am sort of planning, or at least hoping, to visit Australia next summer.

I am looking at spending July and perhaps a week or max two more, about 4 to 6 weeks or so.

Will for sure go to Melbourne and Sydney, also thinking to go to Tasmania.

What do you say, how long would you need in each of these places?

What other places should I visit if this turns out to be my only visit?

Do I have enough time to head over to New Zeeland as well, or should I stick to one country on this trip?

I have a mate I'll likely be staying with in Melbourne, but do you know of any places in Sydney and Tasmania (which I know nothing about really) where you think one can stay fairly cheap and still safe enough? I don't mind sleeping on a couch or in a hostel if it is safe enough to leave my stuff and a decent way of getting around by public transport or walking etc.

I'd gladly take tips on how to best move inbetween the different places/cities as well, though no driving since I like to drink on my vacations, also I refuse to drive on that weird side of the rode, every time a car goes into a roundabout in the UK and I'm in the car I shut my eyes and scream like a girl...

So what am I after on my vacation?
Well everything beer related. Visit breweries of different sizes, brewers, home brewers, beer personalities, pub and micro and macro breweries, best bars, try as many beers as I can etc.
Perhaps visit a hop farm if possible?

Also interested in trying local food, meeting people, going to metal places.

I am interested in walking around in cities, as well as in nature, but I don't like to spend 4 hours looking at one building, I'm more of walking by and saying "oh, so that's how it looks like" and then walking on.
For example, did all of inner London's sights in one day mainly on foot, then we still had time to hit the pubs.

Well, that's a lot of questions and stuff to start off with, lets see what kind of answers I get ;)

Cheers

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
I posted this on another forum, but thought I might as well post it here as well, see if I can get answers from different sources ;)

---

So to you Aussies out there, and others that have visited the continent down under.

I am sort of planning, or at least hoping, to visit Australia next summer.

I am looking at spending July and perhaps a week or max two more, about 4 to 6 weeks or so.

Will for sure go to Melbourne and Sydney, also thinking to go to Tasmania.

What do you say, how long would you need in each of these places?

What other places should I visit if this turns out to be my only visit?

Do I have enough time to head over to New Zeeland as well, or should I stick to one country on this trip?

I have a mate I'll likely be staying with in Melbourne, but do you know of any places in Sydney and Tasmania (which I know nothing about really) where you think one can stay fairly cheap and still safe enough? I don't mind sleeping on a couch or in a hostel if it is safe enough to leave my stuff and a decent way of getting around by public transport or walking etc.

I'd gladly take tips on how to best move inbetween the different places/cities as well, though no driving since I like to drink on my vacations, also I refuse to drive on that weird side of the rode, every time a car goes into a roundabout in the UK and I'm in the car I shut my eyes and scream like a girl...

So what am I after on my vacation?
Well everything beer related. Visit breweries of different sizes, brewers, home brewers, beer personalities, pub and micro and macro breweries, best bars, try as many beers as I can etc.
Perhaps visit a hop farm if possible?

Also interested in trying local food, meeting people, going to metal places.

I am interested in walking around in cities, as well as in nature, but I don't like to spend 4 hours looking at one building, I'm more of walking by and saying "oh, so that's how it looks like" and then walking on.
For example, did all of inner London's sights in one day mainly on foot, then we still had time to hit the pubs.

Well, that's a lot of questions and stuff to start off with, lets see what kind of answers I get ;)

Cheers

Brat? Didn't she live in Sydney?

Alix

12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
It really all depends on what you want out of your stay.

Gold Coast (about an hour from where I live) is pretty much the tourist capital of the country. It will be far less busy around that time of year so you'd be in luck.
- On the coast you've got loads of holiday apartments/hotels/motels and so on right on the beach (which are considered some of the best in the world)
- I'm pretty sure there are still cheap metal nights on Thursdays
- Dreamworld and White Water World
- Warner Brother's Movie World
- Sea World
- Wet 'n' Wild Water World
- Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary
- If you're into nature the hinterlands are pretty spiffy

Sunshine Coast (about an hour in the other direction) also has really nice beaches and hinterlands. There's also Underwater World and Australia Zoo up there.

Brisbane is a good half-way point if you want to visit various parts of the south-east. There are things to do in Brisbane but IMO it's one of those cities where it's a nice place to live but not quite so cool to visit and leave. If you're here at the beginning of July I can show you where the metal bars are located. Unfortunately the scene has taken a few hard blows in the past few years so you'll have to hit me up with locations closer to the date. There's the XXXX brewery in Brisbane if you're keen to visit. You'll find that all the places with the best beers are all imports and they will charge you for one beer what you'd pay for half a carton of cheap beer in Germany (high tax on alcohol). Spoiler alert: you may have quite a bit of trouble finding anyone who supplies Fosters.

I'm also a pretty big fan of Cairns in north Queensland. July is the perfect time of year to visit as the weather is fine and not quite as hot as in summer time.

I'm not a fan of Sydney and I've never been to Tasmania so I can't help you there with regards to accommodation.

The best way to move between places is to fly - hands down. There are a few budget airlines that will take you to or near the capital cities (Jet Star, Virgin Blue and Tiger Airways). Around here public transport is pretty infrequent unless you're right in the middle of the city. It's also not very cheap (I think it's more expensive in Sydney and Melbourne though). There are touring buses to get you to and from all the cool places to visit however.

Syndey and Melbourne (particularly) definitely have the most to offer as far as Metal shows go.

After a think about that, you'll probably figure out whether or not you have time to fit in a trip to New Zealand. Don't ask me any questions about it because I've never been there either.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Thanks Alix!

Haha, yeah Fosters...
Don't think I'll ever need to drink that particular beer again.
Yeah I would visit the brewery if I could, because I just love brewing and breweries, but that beer, well lets just say I understand why Aussi deports it all to Europe, haha

I'll get back to this thread when my plans starts to settle more.

agresionpower

W:O:A Metalgod
22 Juni 2005
Almere, Holland
Thanks Alix!

Haha, yeah Fosters...
Don't think I'll ever need to drink that particular beer again.
Yeah I would visit the brewery if I could, because I just love brewing and breweries, but that beer, well lets just say I understand why Aussi deports it all to Europe, haha

I'll get back to this thread when my plans starts to settle more.

the question is, why are the europeans crazy enough to give them an extra reason to export it to europe? (as in why do euopeans buy it)

xforeverxmetalx

W:O:A Metalgod
29 Dez. 2007
I'll keep an eye on this too, but it might be outdated by the time I can afford to go/have time off to go... 2020? :rolleyes::D