War against Wacken

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

monochrom

W:O:A Metalmaster
15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Here is a good way to get free beer in the US (If you can fill in a Weissbier properly, that is):

Go into a bar which prides itself on its excellent beer selection - this will be easy, lots of bars in the US have quality beer from all around the world.

Order a Weissbier (Yes, I got Erdinger, Schneider and once even Hopf in US bars), look critically at the way he fills it into the original Weissbier-glass. If the bar doesn't have the original Weissbier-glass, tell them. Imn a month they'll have them.

Tell the barkeeper that the way he fills the beer in is not the proper way. Show him the trick one, with the bottleneck deep in the glass and the whole procedure (hard to describe in english). The barkeeper will now want to learn the proper way. Like every human being, he will fail the first two or three times, and the barkeeper will look like a dork with the Weissbier everywhere but in the glass.

By now other Americans will have noticed the spectacle and begin to move closer. Eventually the barkeeper will manage the trick and there will be loud hoorays by everyone. The whole gathered crew will order Weissbier ("but fill it in the proper way, like the young dude did") and you will get free drinks. Worked everytime for me, extremely useful skill.

Warthog

29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us
LOL!!! Playing off the cultural ignorance of Americans again? We'll get you back. :D

There's a place in DC called Brickskeller that's listed in the Guinness Book of Records for having the most kinds of beer available (about 1100...their menu is 10 pages long, and 6 of those are beer only.) Nice place, good "pub grub" food too. The barmaids are usually local college girls who may or may not know what they're doing (One tried to pour me Duvel in a Pilsener glass once, hehehe). Might be a good place to try this trick! :)

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Originally posted by Warthog
LOL!!! Playing off the cultural ignorance of Americans again? We'll get you back. :D

There's a place in DC called Brickskeller that's listed in the Guinness Book of Records for having the most kinds of beer available (about 1100...their menu is 10 pages long, and 6 of those are beer only.) Nice place, good "pub grub" food too. The barmaids are usually local college girls who may or may not know what they're doing (One tried to pour me Duvel in a Pilsener glass once, hehehe). Might be a good place to try this trick! :)

Actually I think I brought a lance for american culture (or tried to) - where else in the world do you get such a choice of quality beer? Nowhere, that is. Americans are very cool at taking things from everywhere and adopting them as their own. I love that. I don't think that an italian or english or german barkeeper would bother to learn how foreign people fill in their beer - americans always want to know. Because it sells if you do it in an exotic way. Very cool attitude, I think.

Warthog

29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us
Originally posted by monochrom
Actually I think I brought a lance for american culture (or tried to) - where else in the world do you get such a choice of quality beer? Nowhere, that is. Americans are very cool at taking things from everywhere and adopting them as their own. I love that. I don't think that an italian or english or german barkeeper would bother to learn how foreign people fill in their beer - americans always want to know. Because it sells if you do it in an exotic way. Very cool attitude, I think.

Hey, I hadn't thought of it that way! It's especially true with anything regarding alcohol over here. People always want to know how to do it "the real way". How to pour a pint of Guinness the "real way", how to serve champagne the "real way", how to drink scotch the "real way", etc etc etc. There's a real attention paid here to the rituals of bartending that are probably taken for granted in other countries.

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Originally posted by Warthog
Hey, I hadn't thought of it that way! It's especially true with anything regarding alcohol over here. People always want to know how to do it "the real way". How to pour a pint of Guinness the "real way", how to serve champagne the "real way", how to drink scotch the "real way", etc etc etc. There's a real attention paid here to the rituals of bartending that are probably taken for granted in other countries.

Exactly! It's the same with foods, I guess. America is just the best place to eat out - it's so funny that many europeans think of the US as being "uncultured" concerning food. It's so stupid, of course the people from all over the world brought their best foods with them.

Where it doesn't quite work is architecture - I hate it when Americans build "New Venices" or stuff like that, the colours are always wrong (reminding one of Edward Scissorhand's suburbia) and it generally looks pathetic. I also don't understand it, as Americas "endemic" architecture has always been world class, be it the different colonial styles or the American way to build cities.

Oh well, just some thoughts.