Is metal dying???

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Evenfiel

W:O:A Metalhead
4 Mai 2002
Oh, I forgot to talk about our underground scene, which seems to be getting better and better for the brazilian bands. In the last three years, a lot of bands were able to release their debut and follow up albums, as well as many new labels are appearing, something that could only be seen in our Metal boom that happend in late 80s/early 90s. There are a lot of underground gigs here, most of them with a public of about 50-100 people, though the public of some undergound festivals can be as high as 2000/3000 thousand people...

Kroppus

2 März 2002
Oslo / NOrWAY
Fallen_Knight : I'm not quite sure what i shall think about that comment. Do all your friends agree with what your ideas of how the world should be? Does they also enjoy the same thigns as you do and are they clones of you? I've met Varg on several times and i can agree that he's a bit strange. But not more than any other's i've met. As for believing what you get fed with from the media? SHAME ON YOU!

In the words of Newtown Neurotics "Don't belive every word that you read in the press" The media is only interested in getting readers and wievers. And not many cares to read about boring things. So if they can blow up a small thing into something big and at the same time make it frightening? Wow... There you have it..
I've worked as freelance journalist now and then so i know exactly what they want and don't want.

Evenfall : As to being there when the scene started? Who knows when the metal scene really started in Trondheim at all. As i saw it it just changed from punk into death metal and so on.. All i know is that i was one of the first that listened to Venom. Actually i managed to see them on their 7th, dates of Hell tour in 84.
I've had a few breaks from the music scene in Trondheim throughout the years. :) Sometimes you get other things to occupy your mind. Like kids and motorbikes and unionwork. :)

And to they that claims old age is the reason they are playing slow-metal(??? i wrote metal???) or whatever you want to call it. Take a look at The Exploited. They started in 82 or so, unless my old braincell is wrong again. And they're still playing the same music now as then. The same members. The only time i'd accept that it's age that makes them slow down is when they're either past 60 or give me a note from 4 different doctors. And i might believe them.

Metal can't die. Not as long as there's fans and an undergroundscene. The worst is the influence from USA that we see here in scndinavia. White kids dressing as if they're getto-gangsters and trying to be like them. Just take a look at them.. Wow? Are they the first people that's found out what underwear is for? Is that the reason that they have their jeans down on their knees so that the rest can see that they're wearing underwear? Fuck, each time i see one of them i wish i had a sword or an axe and could just go berserk.
Teach and educate the idiotkids and make them understand that not everything from the USA is good things. I'm thinking about Rap, BitchneyFears, my ex-wife, George Bush and some other things. On the other hand there's lso good things from the USA. *grins* Buffalo Sabers, Eve, Clint from Long Vinter Stear, Burgers and PEPSI just to mention a few. :)

And WHO CALLED MANOWAR METAL???
*sighs deep* It's GAY POWEER METAL

I rest my case.

Metal Pede

29 Nov. 2001
Denmark
Originally posted by Evenfiel
To the older guys from the forum, what about your metalheads friends from the 80s, beginning of the 90s, do they still listen to Metal?

Well, most of my friends still listens to Metal BUT in a different way than 10 years ago. When you get a family and kids, the time you have for Heavy music just isn't there anymore...that's what they say anyway.

They don't buy that many albums anymore and don't go to concerts very often either. I (nearly) always go to concerts of my own, because I'm still fucking Heavy Metal just as much as I was 10 years ago.

But then again; I don't have a girlfriend or a family to "steal" all my precious time from my one and only thing...M E T A L !!!

xpet

25 Jan. 2002
Hamburg
Originally posted by Metal Pede

But then again; I don't have a girlfriend ... to "steal" all my precious time from my one and only thing...M E T A L !!!

there´s nothing wrong about girlfriends... as long as they are into Metal as well you dont have to choose! :) ;)

Kroppus

2 März 2002
Oslo / NOrWAY
hehehehehehehehe Good one Xpet :)
But there's no problem even if your girlfriend ain't into metal. Or is it so that most couples can't do anything without having the partner with them? I've been with a total technohead and it was no problem. She went to listen to her music and i went to my gigs. And since we also listened to other music we had no problems there either. *smiles* But it's best when you got a GF that's into the same type of music so that you both can go to gigs together.

Metal-pede: I got a GF and i still buy lot of music. *has once again over 900 cd's*

*sighs* Wow.. My old friends? Damned that's a hard one. I have no idea what my old friends does. Not strange since i've been moving around a bit in Norway before moving to Denmark, and soon to Germany i hope. *thinks* Seems to me that they're either dead, gone straight or turned into zombies(that's the same thing IMO) or they're still under 30.
i'm not the one to complain, but it's funny when your friends asks for your ID 'cause they can't believe that you're ten years older than what they think. :) Still i love my mum and the way she always askes me how old are you getting now, and i answer back without a smile in my face. "What?? Do you have to ask that?? I'll be 29." and she acceppts it. Year after year.. :)
not strange that i keep so young in mind :)

Metal Pede

29 Nov. 2001
Denmark
Originally posted by Kroppus
I've been with a total technohead and it was no problem. She went to listen to her music and i went to my gigs. And since we also listened to other music we had no problems there either. *smiles* But it's best when you got a GF that's into the same type of music so that you both can go to gigs together.

What kind of music are you listening to when you are together...you and your girlfriend ???

Metal Pede

29 Nov. 2001
Denmark
Originally posted by Supercharger
hmm had a girlfriend who didn't like metal and all the things that comes with it at all. She tried to change me..that didn't cut it for me. Girls who like metal are a rare breed thesedays. Look at the forum..most members are male :D

Thank god you got rid of her :) Nobody should try and change anybody. An exeption of course would be, changing a Britney fan into an Sodom fan :)

If you meet a metal-chick...let me know okay :)

Lvsitanno

22 März 2002
Portugal
www.witchcraftproductions.web.pt
I can't remember if i posted here before, but here's my idea on all the questions posed here:

-"Is metal dying?". No, it's changing into something we can't really qualify. I mean, most of us started listening to stuff lighter than metal (i started with Guns 'n roses, Europe, Alice Cooper and a bunch of strange glam rock stuff. then i listened to Metallica and started to look for something stronger, namely blackmetal, which i found in mid '92. Bear in note that at that time i live in a small village without a record store and i only had the radio... - So, WE belong to a generation that fought for their fave music sound). Nowadays, it's hype to listen to the US nu-metal (Un-Metal, it's a typing mistake...); so most kids hear some brutal music and thet stay there. Now you see bands like Hypocrisy bring a little bit of Slipknot ito their sound... etc etc. In a few years we'll have that old discussion of who's true and who's a poser/untrue and a lot of bands will become "Kult.tm" :p
The strenght of metal was its underground culture, which is even studied in some Sociology degrees. No, it's accepted as MUSIC and Nu-Metal is the extreme thing the parents don't like.
- Do we stop listening to metal when we get older? Absolutely not, in the vast majority of the cases. Metal is in your veins, not in your hair. It's your brain that gets darker, not your clothes. I'm 100% into "untergang" blackmetal and now i have short hair and blue jeans. Am i false? I don't think so.
- Girlfriends. It is very difficult to find a female individual inside the metal club. Why? Metal is harsh and violent and by nature most of the girls are gentle and soft (no offense intended whatsoever, ladies); if you want to find a girls who's really into metal and understands metal, your chances grow if you start looking at girls over 25, below that...it gets rarer, though we have some metal girls in here who are both under 25 and smart. It is even worse to look for blackmetal girls, because most of them are "all-evil satanik masowhores" on the outside beacuse it's cool to hear a damn pentagram around the neck, but on the inside they're mellow and dumb. It is rather easy to find the girl of your life outside the metal scene. But then again, they don't listen to metal...
- In the end, that's life. People just have to be lucky and live by the sword.

- Kroppus, you bastard, you sound like a nice guy for me to get some rare stuff... :D ;)

Kroppus

2 März 2002
Oslo / NOrWAY
Metal Pede : There's actually other music than metal. Nick Cave, Grateful Dead just to mention two. And yes i got rid of her or the other way around. But that had nothing to do with the music. She actually liked Metallica, the old albums. She got rather annoyed after being caught in the customs with me having 4.8 grams of hash in my backpack. The customs gave her and her sister and her husband a living hell 'cause they was sitting with me when they found the dope. And she's not my GF now. *have found the femal version of himself* Scary scary.. :) but sooooo good.
Even i don't spend all the time listening to BLACK DARK DOOMY METAL. :)

I listen to all from Classical via some blues\bluegrass\country to folk music and folkrock too. Like Vintersorg, Storm, Otyg, Hedningarne and Kari Rueslåtten. *sighs* I still think she got a really beautiful voice. The only music i don't listen to is (c)RAP, techno (ok i like Prodigy live) and dance or whatever's on the top 40 lists. :)

Lvsitanno : I agree with you. It's hard to find a smart girl that's into black-metal. Specially if you're looking just around the place that you live yourself. *smiles* Why do you think i found my GF in Germany? ok ok.. She found me i mean. :) But the thing to keep in mind is also that sometimes you think that everyone is like that, when there's maybe just a few of them. but Empty barrels makes the most noise. :) *have waited for an excuse to use that one*
hehehe I can be a nice bastard if i feel like it, but i can also be a really mean angel too.. Or was it the other way around?? :)
I'm the kind of guy that looks like a really bad person and scares the shit out of people in shops and so one with being polite to them. Hehehehe Nothing beats the look on some of the faces when you say "Thank you". *smiles* Try it one time :)
But beware, sometimes you just can't stop it. Do unto others a they do to you, but the first time give them always the benefit of doubt.

I think that the net is a good thing in this case. 'cause you get to meet new people and *smiles* maybe you're as lucky as me.
Yes i know it was great sadness among the women here when i got a GF, but there's only one of me and so many of you. :)

I suggest you all get a hold of the song "Rock'n'Roll" with Motörhead. That song is the perfect song to at least describe me and my relationship to metal.

"I love Rock'nRoll, it soothes my soul, and if there's all there is, it's good enough for me. i love rock'n'roll, it warms me in the cold, and if that's all for me, that's good enough for me."

:)

Maraska

18 Okt. 2002
-ROMA-
Website besuchen
I'm 16 and I live in Rome...
The journey started something like 4 years hold. I never met a metalhead before, i didn't know what metal was... anyway I still remember the first times i played my brother's cassette, the Dream Theater one...
Little by little I understood; from Dream Theater to Metallica, then Stratovarius, Manowar, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian.. lots of music I was somehow afraid of was kidnapping me and taking me into a new dimension :) and now, here I am... Yes, it has to be a new dimension since almost every day i hear of a new way to play metal, being it Death, Progressive, Power or anything else, and still tomorrow there will be another band wich plays it a different way
I really don't think metal is going to die. It's evolving, growing.. and also growling, of course ;)
We know that someone told us to
KEEP THE METAL FAITH ALIVE
and we will, forevermore.

holocaust

9 Jan. 2002
Fucking Belgium
www.asl.to
Originally posted by Kroppus
Fallen_Knight :

And WHO CALLED MANOWAR METAL???
*sighs deep* It's GAY POWEER METAL

I rest my case.

hmz, I like to say that ManowaR USED to be fucking good man. Just that lately they spent to much time listeing to their own speeches :) They're actually believing what they're saying now :)

Kroppus

2 März 2002
Oslo / NOrWAY
holocaust : yes old Manowar ain't as bad. but it's the same with Metallica and a lot of other bands. BTW, the only one in Metallica that's straight is the one that looks like he's gay. GO KIRK, GO!! :)
There's a difference between what's old and what's new. For newcomers there's the new stuff that brings them into it. Just take a look\listen to all the bands that's changed a lot from first LP to the last one. Anathema, Therion, metallica , Dimmu Borgir and so on and on... Anathema i think have been the worst in that case. From the wonderful doomy metal they made in the beginning on Crestfallen and Serenades to the garbage stuff that's on A Fine Day To Exit. *sighs and shakes his head*

I spent some time as op on the Metallica-chat on their website and i don't know how many kids came in knowing all about Metallica and shitslamming other bands.. And they had the right 'cause they had all two cd's with metallica. The black album and Load. ???? The worst one claimed that Metallica never existed in 84 and that they never made Master of Puppets. The newbies will always start with the newest stuff and might go back in time to the beginning. But most of them, sadly enough don't care much for the old stuff.

Take Satyricon for instance. I think it's Fuel For Hatred that's gotten a bit of airplay in Norway and as a result there's a lot of kids that believes that they know all there is to know about the band and black metal. *smiles* Most of them would probably believe it if you told them that Satyricon plays Power-Metal too. :) I got a lot of respect for Satyr and what he's done musically and i think it's good that he's finally getting some airplay and recognition for what he's done. The only problem (if you can call it a problem) is that there's a lot of newbies that thinks they know it all. *laughs* With me it's different, 'cause i DO really know it all. :)

"It's not that i'm so god-damned perfect, it's just that i sometimes forget to make those errors so that no one will notice it."