Q & A about Wacken Open Air

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

raylouie

W:O:A Metalhead
13 Mai 2013
Colorado
I was looking a the map from last year and they appear to be pretty close to the Ready to Rock rental campling.

If they have it at the same place as last year, it's on the other side of the gate, next to the paid showers and water supplies (close to the entrance to the metal market). The spot is actually better than where Ready to Rock is located (near the entrance) .

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Hi,

so, I realised a few days ago that this year I'd actually have the funds to go to Germany, and attend Wacken. Little did I know though, that the tickets had sold out in a mere 48 hours (*insert jaw drop here*). The tickets' page (http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2014/main-tickets-shop/tickets/) mentioned possible options, but none of them were very well defined as to 'when'. Are we, who had no idea Wacken is THIS sought after, supposed to keep checking daily until we get lucky, or something?
You can get tickets WITH a bus ride at e.g. www.wackenbus.de (I do not know if there's an English version of it!!!) or www.metal-train.de/shop (mind the payment!!! Ask Koldawne about the difficulties she had! And also unknown if available in English.) but ONLY IN COMBINATION with either a bus or train return ticket!
Otherwise you have to wait until the ticket exchange will open, and try your luck there.

That's all I can say so far.
It seems the forum ate my previous reply here..no matter..I wanted to ask, about the possibility to get tickets to wacken. Are we simply supposed to get lucky with the options presented at http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2014/main-tickets-shop/tickets/ and visit the site at a time when there are available tickets?

Thank you!
No. The forum did not eat your reply, but, because you're new here, you cannot post links without moderation. This is to prevent spambots from posting.
Don't change your posts now, you'll "loose" them again! :)

Koldawne

31 Aug. 2012
Aylmer, Quebec Canada
You can get tickets WITH a bus ride at e.g. www.wackenbus.de (I do not know if there's an English version of it!!!) or www.metal-train.de/shop (mind the payment!!! Ask Koldawne about the difficulties she had! And also unknown if available in English.) but ONLY IN COMBINATION with either a bus or train return ticket!
Otherwise you have to wait until the ticket exchange will open, and try your luck there.

I wouldn't recommend the MetalTrain route unless you are fluent in German and live in Europe. Trying to get tickets paid for and delivered to Canada was a nightmare. All communication is in German and they have no PayPal (though after me I think they figured it out so you might be OK but you will still have to talk to the guy "Ralph" and see if he can do it).

If I was European and spoke German I would totally do it again in a heart beat. It would have been SO amazing if I could understand more of what was going on!

austro-yank

6 Aug. 2013
USA
I wouldn't recommend the MetalTrain route unless you are fluent in German and live in Europe. Trying to get tickets paid for and delivered to Canada was a nightmare. All communication is in German and they have no PayPal (though after me I think they figured it out so you might be OK but you will still have to talk to the guy "Ralph" and see if he can do it).

If I was European and spoke German I would totally do it again in a heart beat. It would have been SO amazing if I could understand more of what was going on!

Next time ask me for help.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Dear Metalheads,

the time has come - the W:O:A ticket exchange is now online at www.metaltix.com!

The ticket exchange gives metalheads the possibility to sell their tickets anonymously to other metalheads (only for the original price!) if they are not able to visit the festival anymore....

Read more on www.wacken.com

So you know, if you have a ticket left, this is the ONLY place you can get it sold, for the OFFICIAL ticket price! Not a penny/cent more.

dawneAdore

21 Sep. 2012
Coquitlam BC Canada
cheap tents

So as this will be my first Wacken and I am travelling from the US. Are the rental tents like "ready to rock" and the other one the way to go? Or should I just buy a cheap tent in Hamburg and leave it behind?

We looked into doing the tent rental, but it just seemed (to us) far too expensive, even with the deposit return (and there's always the chance of drunkenly falling into the tent and damaging it)!! We already had small backpacking sleeping bags & pillows so we just bought a small $40 light weight tent off of amazon which worked perfectly fine! We'll be doing the same this year, but we're going to buy a slightly larger tent to bring with us this year (now that we know what to expect)!

*we are traveling from Western Canada

Ran

31 Dez. 2013
Hi! I haven't been to Wacken before, and there's one question that I couldn't find answered anywhere:

Open campfires are (obviously) forbidden, but what about stoves inside of tents? I'm thinking of bringing this beauty (minus the bicycles! :)), which has a small stove that you can use to heat up the tent so you don't need to bring sleeping bags. Or is it unlikely to be cold during the night?

Oh, and lots of people seems to be recommending steel-toe boots. Why the steel-toe? So you're not getting stepped upon when in the pit? Steel-toe boots are very strongly associated with neo-nazis where I live so if I bought a pair then I'd only ever use them for Wacken, which seems a bit wasteful. Isn't regular boots going to be good enough?

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Hi! I haven't been to Wacken before, and there's one question that I couldn't find answered anywhere:

Open campfires are (obviously) forbidden, but what about stoves inside of tents? I'm thinking of bringing this beauty (minus the bicycles! :)), which has a small stove that you can use to heat up the tent so you don't need to bring sleeping bags. Or is it unlikely to be cold during the night?

Oh, and lots of people seems to be recommending steel-toe boots. Why the steel-toe? So you're not getting stepped upon when in the pit? Steel-toe boots are very strongly associated with neo-nazis where I live so if I bought a pair then I'd only ever use them for Wacken, which seems a bit wasteful. Isn't regular boots going to be good enough?

For the stove: I honestly have no idea! Maybe you should ask this to the Wacken organisation. (headquarter@wacken.com) with a link to the pic.

About the steel toe boots, if you were "security" shoes, like in the construction or stuff like that, you won't see a difference between "normal" shoes (also boots, if you want) and steel toe shoes! Trust me, I wear them all the time!

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia

Following warm sunny days it can stay reasonably warm for several hours into the night but yeah eventually it does get quite cool. Be aware though by 8am if the sun is out it'll be too warm in your tent for you to remain in there even without a heater.

Regular boots are fine. It's more to do with having footwear that won't get totally ruined at the first sign of rain and mud. Other than that the only real risk is if someone accidentally steps on your foot, so if you know your boots won't stand up to that consider getting new ones.

jadedmessiah

1 März 2014
kashechewan, Onatrio
all important question for everyone

my brother and I are staying in albersdorf for the weekend so we wont have a campsite where we can stockpile cheap beer ;) How much is a beer/ drink in the beer gardens?? I am sure our budget is good but one never can be too sure ;) -CHEERS-

agresionpower

W:O:A Metalgod
22 Juni 2005
Almere, Holland
my brother and I are staying in albersdorf for the weekend so we wont have a campsite where we can stockpile cheap beer ;) How much is a beer/ drink in the beer gardens?? I am sure our budget is good but one never can be too sure ;) -CHEERS-

you'll miss half the fun that way :(

last time I was there I think it was 8 euro for a liter of beer. plus a deposit for the cup.
of which you wanna take home at least 1 or 2.

jadedmessiah

1 März 2014
kashechewan, Onatrio
you'll miss half the fun that way :(

last time I was there I think it was 8 euro for a liter of beer. plus a deposit for the cup.
of which you wanna take home at least 1 or 2.

the thought had occurred to me but it will be at the tail end of our trip not to mention 72 hours later I will be at another Festival back home with zero time to recover from the jetlag! LOL besides if it is really fun we just might for go the shuttle back and stay with new friends at their camp ;)

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia

There are also plenty of residents in the village who set up food stalls and beer gardens in their front yard. The one my friends and I went to on the Wednesday had beers and regular shots going for 1 euro (amongst other drinks). We also went to the supermarket (about 100m from the Camp A entrance) for supplies and finished off a bottle of wine before we got back to the campsite :ugly:

I guess if you were keen, you could buy a carton of cheap or local branded beer, drink as many as you wanted and share the rest with strangers in exchange for their short-term friendship :p