Neue Band bestätigt - Avenged Sevenfold

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.
20 Feb. 2008
Well fuck me. I didn't really most of the people here were into total garbage rock and enjoy have a franchise scenester band at the festival. Good for you, I know now why Ax7 are on the bill.

Metalhead of switzerland

W:O:A Metalmaster
Well fuck me. I didn't really most of the people here were into total garbage rock and enjoy have a franchise scenester band at the festival. Good for you, I know now why Ax7 are on the bill.

And this post just showed that either you are an idiot or you cant read,or you would know that i dont like A7X,but i respect them as musicians(i posted it on the 30 of march at 22.16) also,your post is the proof that I(we) am(are) right with what I(we) said,cause you arent able to counter reasonable,cause you havent got ANY good points to discuss with,so you just use insults,like a bad loser is supposed to do. Just do us all a favor,stay at home,dont come to wacken,we have already enough pseudo-metalheads like you,your kind is suficiently represented,sad but true:o

Metalhead of switzerland

isnt that a song by avenged sevenfold?? ohh noo i am poser!! i didnt know thats a song by metallica! oh no wait metallica isnt metal anymore.. oh crap hahhahaha :D:D:D:D

i never thought there was so much narrow minded metal heads in my life..:rolleyes:

:D:D:D
yeah,sometimes it is a little frustrating,but then you go to wacken and you only meet the cool guys cause the "tr00" metalheads are sitting in their tent whinnig and bitching about wacken;)

charles

19 Dez. 2006
South Coast, UK
:D:D:D
yeah,sometimes it is a little frustrating,but then you go to wacken and you only meet the cool guys cause the "tr00" metalheads are sitting in their tent whinnig and bitching about wacken;)

You should come and find me and my friends then. Were not actually going to watch and bands. Were just going to sit in one tent and complain about the possibility of Michael Bolton being confirmed for Wacken.

29 März 2008
Firstly, before you start masturbating over yourself and basking in your pseudo-glory, how about you read my last couple of posts if you're interested in a real discussion instead of simply pissing into the wind.

I live, cause we have a good scene where people respect and tolerate each others musical taste.

This issue isn't even related to whether or not you respect another person's musical taste. The issue here is that Wacken is a metal festival, and the vast overwhelming majority of people who go to Wacken go there to see metal bands. (which a7x definitely is not).

I honestly don't give a shit if you respect them as musicians, well I mean, I don't see why anyone would considering that they are entirely talentless. I respect classical composers for their musicianship, but guess what? I wouldn't want to see an orchestra at Wacken.

You can go ahead and give yourself a big pat on the back for being so "open minded", "tolerant", and "free thinking" because no one else is about to. Being that you are in fact so free thinking and have such eclectic tastes, you should probably be the one considering a different festival. I mean, there are millions where you can get a real diverse spread of bands across all genres. since you're such a "free spirit", you'd probably be more comfortable there.

I find it pretty hilarious that you feel in a position to label anyone a "pseudo-metalhead", I can only assume you have a great sense of irony.

Honestly, read my last few points and consider them an addition to this one. I've already made the point that metal has always been free to adapt, but that at the same time there are criteria for "true" metal and "selling out" which have nothing to do with the amount of record sales, or "diversity" in a band's sound.

Again, metal has never been a "universal music appreciation club", it's a lifestyle, it's based heavily in counter-culture, and when it's true (read as "tr00", whatever gets you off) it has a point behind it.

Real music, especially metal, is never just about money and fame - Avenged Sevenfold are. I love that little introduction they have on the band list "They fuck, they destroy hotel rooms", well great, maybe they should fuck off back to the 1980's and hang out with Motley Crue, Poison, and all the other glam shit.

You seem to be under the impression that almost everyone's thrilled about Avenged Sevenfold, well why don't you read the rest of the comments in this thread for starters and bring yourself to the realization that most people are going to Wacken in spite of, not because of, shit like Avenged Sevenfold and Job For a Cowboy.

Also,

isnt that a song by avenged sevenfold?? ohh noo i am poser!! i didnt know thats a song by metallica! oh no wait metallica isnt metal anymore.. oh crap hahhahaha

Your attempt at sarcasm doesn't change the fact that Metallica haven't been a metal band since the Black Album. It's just the truth, plain and simple.

Metalhead of switzerland

Again,the whole point about using insults, i tink i already explained how this works,hm;) Also,i dont rembember calling A7x a metal band,in my opinion they are a modern rock band,and as i said, Wacken always had metal and rockbands.Also i never said that i think most people are thrilled to see them,but i am sure there are people who like them,so what?live and let live. And i never talked personaly with them,so i dont realy know if they do this all just because of the money,and i assume you neither talked with them,so you arent really in the position to shout out your theories about this point.
Now since it seems that you inherited the spirit of metal,please explain me what defines in your opinion a metalband, i am very "thrilled" to hear your great words of wisdom:o
Also,if you know a Metalfestival where there play as much great Death Metal,Melodic Death Metal,Rock,Thrash Metal and Heavy Metal Bands and are as much cool guys to hang out,i am glad to hear where it is;)

btw,there was already an orchestra in Wacken,together with Rage,several times;)

31 März 2008
actual support for sevenfold

Right alot of you guys have alot of hatred toward Avenged Sevenfold.

Well let me be the first to defend these guys.

Someone earlier in the thread called this band a bunch of skinny jean wearing etc... well funny Megadeth and Metallica both wear skinnies (since the 80's might i add) and aren't they the uber gold metal bands??!! Thats besides the point the way the band looks is not important!

Have you guys actually listened to all four albums from Avenged Sevenfold? Im guessing no! If you had you'd realise even though you may not like the sound they have (even though it varies album to album) they are talented and you gotta respect them for what they can do. You have a great guitar duo, some the sickest solo's your gonna hear and some really nice harmonies! And The Rev's drumming is really something. Having doing so you would have realised that they are diverse and actually doing something different unlike most bands as well most them just dont have the edge or the creativity to do so!

Avenged Sevenfold are not afriad to fail and they certainly dont give a shit about going into a new crowd which hates them nor knows them, as what they will do is go up there and put on a god damn good show even if I am the only one that is cheering them on. They go against tough crowds its what they do! I mean you never know you may actually like what your hearing.

Last year there were some bands which were well lets just say awful live! Type-o-Negative (most dreadful performance ive ever seen), Rose Tattoo (every song sounded the same), JBO (someone explain what that was to me?) Personally what I found. But did you see petitions to remove them? No you didn't! I mean chillax a little if you dont like a band... how abouts going on to the 2nd and 3rd stages to see something else? Or going to the beer garden etc.... no one is forcing you to watch them!

With regards to the download post, I also went there last year! Its not a metal festival its 'alternative' branching out to different genre's such as punk etc... If I dont like a band I just wont watch em! But im not going to get all worked up about it.

Avenged Sevenfold are Metal with a touch of sub genre's where they draw upon their influences! So I dont see why they cant be a Wacken.

Did you guys get all angry with Dir En Grey playing last year? Not really you didn't know who or what they where! Similar to Avenged Sevenfold in many aspects as they are diverse and change from album to album. I didn't pre-judge them and I had never seen or really heard about them but I thought id check them out! I didn't like any of the songs but I still thought they put on a good show (mouth cutting was a bit odd but interesting). You all have this notion that they avenged sevenfold are shit band from pretty much word or mouth, thats what I get from most metal heads and none of them have actually bothered to listen to them. Its a band that grows on you, the more you listen the more you like it.

I love Carcass, Obituary, Kreator as much as the next guy and feel privelaged that I got a hoofing line up this year which I plan to thouroughly enjoy!

If you dont like them then fine, but direct all your anger into pits instead not bashing keys on a forum.

p.s. And they sound nothing like bullet for my valentine or trivium! :o

13 Okt. 2007
Boston Area, Massachusetts
Let me get to my first point. Metal isn't about universal musical openmindedness, and it never fucking has been. Period. If you think otherwise you're living in a fantasy world. Metal is about.... well... metal.

The thrash movement was a rise against the glam movement, the original NWOBHM bands, as well as Sabbath (the original Doom band) were a statement against the rising pop music industry with it's processed and insincere garbage.

To claim that there would be no innovation by the criteria of "true metal" is just more bullshit. It's perfectly possible for bands to innovate their sound without surrendering their integrity. Unfortunately, a lot of the time a band does drastically alter it's direction it is to achieve greater mainstream appeal.

This leads onto the point of "selling out". Selling out doesn't refer to a band selling a lot of albums, it refers to.. now listen carefully to this... a band surrendering it's artistic integrity and abandoning it's original fanbase in the pursuit of money and or fame. The great capitalist nightmare. A band can sell trillions of albums, and they won't be sellouts for that reason in and of itself. Assuming they "stayed true", they will just be a successful / well renowned metal band.

If however that same band suddenly dumbs down their sound, or adapts it in a way to appeal to a more mainstream audience, starts marketing themselves ruthlessly at children, and selling themselves in the mainstream media - while, say, adopting the typical rockstar "I'm better than you" attitude then, yeah, they've sold out. Example? Metallica. They went from playing some great Thrash in the 80's, come the 90's they decided to abandon their original fanbase, drastically alter their sound and change it to a far more simplistic hook-filled style, they cut their hair to appeal to the biggest market of the day (Nu Metal, i.e. shit), began putting themselves in the media limelight at every opportunity, and appearing at as many "mainstream" events as possible.

Despite the fact that Metallica originally became known through bootlegs, they also went on a little crusade against music sharing to ensure that they made as much money as possible.

Now here's the deal... Metal isn't and never has been "mainstream music", it's not something a casual listener is meant to be able to pick up, listen to, and appreciate - it goes deeper than that. It's not just a form of music, it's a lifestyle. It generally appeals to people with a certain mindset, and world view, which is very different from your blind Britney Spears fan. the complexity of the music is something that has to be appreciated properly, it's like a fine wine, not an alcopop (like for example, the pop music industry.)

Add to that the fact that many metal bands, and metal as a whole is counter-cultural, and that a big emphasis of often on the corruption and failures of mainstream society (including the media), how would any self-respecting metal band allow themselves to become just another part of it?

Metal changes and adapts all the time, but changing and selling out are two different things. There is such a thing as true metal whether you like it or not.

I'm from your generation, and I sure as hell don't think like you.

"Corporate rock really does suck" - Carcass."
You bring up some definite points here. Despite the fact 90% of the people arguing the same point you are can't have a discussion about music without making themselves look like idiots by calling people names and attacking each other personally, your post was worth responding too.

I agree with a good majority of this post, especially that metal isn't about universal open mindedness. It's being argued that people aren't accepting enough of A7X and that they aren't being given a chance, but as metal fans, are we really obligated to give a band a chance who got 90% of their success and fan base by being sold to teenagers by the store Hot Topic? (This is how they gained their popularity here in the United States at least, I'm assuming this popularity just leaked over into Europe as well).

Metal has never been about a mainstream sound, or being mainstream friendly. Black metal musicians didn't think they could appeal to, and didn't want to appeal to, every group of people and not offend anyone. Despite the past though, this is really a matter of interpretation on what should happen now and in the future.

Death and Thrash metal fans in the 80's probably thought the same way about Glam Metal as people like yourself and I do now about Metal-core and mainstream pop rock and metal bands. Regardless of what happens, there will be bands that please the media with a friendly image and sound, and there will be bands that continue to piss them off with an extreme sound and message.

The real issue comes up when these bands start to get onto metal fests such as Wacken. Do they belong there? I don't think it can really be argued. Personally, I say no. I don't consider these bands metal, and I don't consider what they stand for metal. But enough people do that Wacken will sign them to play. I consider myself to have a very elitist attitude towards the genre, but I wouldn't say I'm in a position to deny other people the chance to see the bands if they want. If it gets to the point where there's more of these mainstream bands that in my opinion are absolute shit on Wacken, then I won't go. For now, I'm not happy about it, but what can you do? There's still more of the good bands than bad ones.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Fuck off. Of course it will help. It helps to spread opinion you idiot. The point in a petition is to sound your voice, and with ENOUGH voices, something MIGHT happen. So rather than sitting there with your thumb up your cunt, put your name down if you really don't want Avenged Faggotfold to play at a festival you pay a good bit of money to attend.

And last year there was a similar petition to get rid of BFMV, and after a LOT of people signed it, the band all of a sudden pulled out due to a 'sore throat'. Now I am not saying the band made this up to get out of having piss thrown at them, but at the same time - Pretty big coincidence.

So rather than laughing at us for having PRIDE in the music we love, how about you join in and support the cause to have bands we ALL enjoy playing at the festival. Tit

Ik lach je UIT! 170 (of nog niet eens) handtekeningen op 70.000 (al dan niet betalende) bezoekers?? La me nie lachen!!! 'n Druppel op een gloeiende plaat!

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Fuck off. Of course it will help. It helps to spread opinion you idiot. The point in a petition is to sound your voice, and with ENOUGH voices, something MIGHT happen. So rather than sitting there with your thumb up your cunt, put your name down if you really don't want Avenged Faggotfold to play at a festival you pay a good bit of money to attend.

And last year there was a similar petition to get rid of BFMV, and after a LOT of people signed it, the band all of a sudden pulled out due to a 'sore throat'. Now I am not saying the band made this up to get out of having piss thrown at them, but at the same time - Pretty big coincidence.

So rather than laughing at us for having PRIDE in the music we love, how about you join in and support the cause to have bands we ALL enjoy playing at the festival. Tit

Ik lach je UIT! 170 (of nog niet eens) handtekeningen op 70.000 (al dan niet betalende) bezoekers?? La me nie lachen!!! 'n Druppel op een gloeiende plaat!

rainstart

30 März 2008
Spiritcrusher583:

While I disagree with you on most points, your post certainly qualified for a civilized response - although it is directed at more people than you.

Wether or not A7X can be called metal or not. Pff, who cares. At least you can't argue that they are not rock, and Wacken has always had room for heavy sounding rock bands without too many people complaining. Look at the lineups from the first years of the festival. Not much extreme metal there, huh?

So you think they are sellouts and part of the corporate machine, or whatever. As for being sold on Hot Topic.. The same store also sell bundles of merchandise from bands such as Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Cradle of Filth, Megadeth, Pantera and so on. Those are bands most of you will respect, I guess, and they also in part cater to the same market as you "blame" A7X for.

As for dumbing down their sound. The definition (courtesy of M-W.com):
"to lower the level of difficulty and the intellectual content of (as a textbook); also : to lower the general level of intelligence in"
If you listen to the first album by A7X compared to their last two efforts, can you honestly say that's what they've done? They are experimenting with their sound, sure, crossing over to other genres on certain songs. In my opinion, that is NOT the same as dumbing down your sound just to sell records. I honestly think they are playing the music they want to play.

Anyway, what angers me is whenever there is a band added to the billing that the "true" guys don't appreciate, people start talking about bottling them and whatnot. How immature can one be? I think you've got it right. If there are a few bands you don't like who are playing, just stay away from their show. See a show at some other stage, stay at the camp, whatever. And if the ratio of good bands vs. bad bands is too low for you to handle, don't spend any money on Wacken. That is the best way to voice your opinion in my mind.

Oh, and by the way. You ask yourself how they are known in Europe. I don't really think they are too known at all over here, but in my circle of friends most people have heard of them through the track The Beast and the Harlot (which I have to say has a kickass riff) on Guitar Hero II.