I don't speak or know how to read a single word of German.Help me out on this one...

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Geoffmetal78

3 Nov. 2008
Perth,Western Australia
I really want to go to Wacken for the 2009 Open Air Festival,but the only 2 problems will be that I can't speak a word of German,and I may as well be looking at hieroglyphics when it comes to trying to read any foreign language!!
How does an english only speaking person cope when visiting your lovely country?I'll try my best at learning some basic stuff,although if I could I'd prefer to be fluent like the locals,but do most German people understand english as well as their own language?I just don't want to look like a dickhead,standing there going"Yeah,ok,uh huh,yeah,right,yeah I know what your saying..."when really they might be trying to sell me a vacuum cleaner,giving some poor german salesperson false hope that they might be getting a sale(for a dramatic example) instead of giving directions to Wacken,which is what I wanted in the first place....or something like that.
Do you think I'll be reasonably ok only knowing english?For example,I've looked at some of the threads on here,and I haven't a clue what you're on about...so long as it's about metal,or metal related subjects,that's all that matters to me..Anyway,get back to me on this one(if you know what the hell I've been talking about),I'd be interested to see what you have to say on this...Thankyou,and I look forward to visiting Germany! Horns up!\m/

gnoff

W:O:A Metalmaster
9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
I'd say you can cope with only English just fine.

And if you don't understand someone, don't pretend you do, just politely, in English, tell them you can't understand them.

Make sure to bring a map or a GPS that shows you the way to Wacken, then you won't need directions.

When in Wacken, English only is seldom a problem.

Falconius

W:O:A Metalhead
28 Jan. 2008
SH, Germany
I think the most important senteces are
"Wo gibt es Bier?" -> "Where is the beer?"
"Ich brauche mehr Bier!" oder "Gib mir mehr Bier!" -> "I need more beer!" or "Give me more beer!"
"Das war zu viel Bier, wo gibts die Toilette?" -> "That was too much beer where's the toilette?"

Just think about some basics you need we will translate them ;)

mental_mercury

18 Juni 2007
Marburg, Hessen
I think the most important senteces are
"Wo gibt es Bier?" -> "Where is the beer?"
"Ich brauche mehr Bier!" oder "Gib mir mehr Bier!" -> "I need more beer!" or "Give me more beer!"
"Das war zu viel Bier, wo gibts die Toilette?" -> "That was too much beer where's the toilette?"

Just think about some basics you need will translate them ;)

Pronunciation is important too though. The way some of my friends butcher german sentences...*shudder*

So how is he gonna learn how to do that?

FromTheToedden

15 Mai 2007
Wald von Dunwyn
I really want to go to Wacken for the 2009 Open Air Festival,but the only 2 problems will be that I can't speak a word of German,and I may as well be looking at hieroglyphics when it comes to trying to read any foreign language!!
How does an english only speaking person cope when visiting your lovely country?I'll try my best at learning some basic stuff,although if I could I'd prefer to be fluent like the locals,but do most German people understand english as well as their own language?I just don't want to look like a dickhead,standing there going"Yeah,ok,uh huh,yeah,right,yeah I know what your saying..."when really they might be trying to sell me a vacuum cleaner,giving some poor german salesperson false hope that they might be getting a sale(for a dramatic example) instead of giving directions to Wacken,which is what I wanted in the first place....or something like that.
Do you think I'll be reasonably ok only knowing english?For example,I've looked at some of the threads on here,and I haven't a clue what you're on about...so long as it's about metal,or metal related subjects,that's all that matters to me..Anyway,get back to me on this one(if you know what the hell I've been talking about),I'd be interested to see what you have to say on this...Thankyou,and I look forward to visiting Germany! Horns up!\m/

After two or three days at the open air i start often to talk in english, instead of german. And i think, i'm not the only one.

When you got there, you can coupe there very well even only with english.

Most germans have english as their main not-german language at school.