• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
I still don't understand how they can make everyone vote :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

In Australia it is law to enroll to vote by age 18. If a poll falls on your birthday you're meant to enroll before the day. I managed to hold it off until I was 19 and I did it on the day, but only because I was working the booths and counting the votes :D

It usually takes ages for anyone to notice if you don't vote or if you don't enroll, but when you're found out they send you a nice big fine :p

Alix

12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
Pretty stupid if you ask me. It's bad enough they encourage you to do it in the US regardless of whether or not you know anything. :o It'd be much worse if it was necessary.

I wouldn't want to count a few hundred million ballots either :p

Whether or not those voting know anything, it all kind of works out in the wash. I must say the last state election was particularly exciting for me as I got to fire my boss for doing such a shit job :D The previous state member was a shifty dude too. I've no idea about the local election though :(

Finnchick

2 März 2012
SH, Germany
In Australia it is law to enroll to vote by age 18. If a poll falls on your birthday you're meant to enroll before the day. I managed to hold it off until I was 19 and I did it on the day, but only because I was working the booths and counting the votes :D

It usually takes ages for anyone to notice if you don't vote or if you don't enroll, but when you're found out they send you a nice big fine :p

In Finland everyone over 18 has RIGHT to vote and RIGHT not to if so choose. Also nobody is allowed to ask if you voted or not and we are added to lists automatically. Really easy to vote or not to vote and everyone can just do what they want to. :)

Alix

12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
In Finland everyone over 18 has RIGHT to vote and RIGHT not to if so choose. Also nobody is allowed to ask if you voted or not and we are added to lists automatically. Really easy to vote or not to vote and everyone can just do what they want to. :)

I'm pretty sure compulsary voting in Australia has everything to do with convict settlement and a history of general hostility towards authority. Given the right to vote a majority would choose not to.

Even though voting is compulsary one's vote is completely confidential which is the nice loop-hole for anyone who can't decide who is worse...or who wants to vote for Mickey Mouse :p

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien

Just like in the Netherlands.

In Belgium you have to vote, and if convocated, also sit in the poling station. Fortunately they can't ask me to do the latter, as I:
- am sighted, I can't see what's happening
- am not Belgian, this is only for Belgian people.

That's why I can only vote for the municipality of Charleroi. For the rest I depend on the Dutch law. And there I can vote or not. Like Finland, it's a free choice to vote or not. I do however. (and have to book a train to NL for that :D)

Alix

12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
Just like in the Netherlands.

In Belgium you have to vote, and if convocated, also sit in the poling station. Fortunately they can't ask me to do the latter, as I:
- am sighted, I can't see what's happening
- am not Belgian, this is only for Belgian people.

That's why I can only vote for the municipality of Charleroi. For the rest I depend on the Dutch law. And there I can vote or not. Like Finland, it's a free choice to vote or not. I do however. (and have to book a train to NL for that :D)

Keen! :eek:

Finnchick

2 März 2012
SH, Germany
I'm pretty sure compulsary voting in Australia has everything to do with convict settlement and a history of general hostility towards authority. Given the right to vote a majority would choose not to.

Even though voting is compulsary one's vote is completely confidential which is the nice loop-hole for anyone who can't decide who is worse...or who wants to vote for Mickey Mouse :p

Even though voting isn't mandatory we still get some Donald Duck's etc every time :D