TOBIAS SAMMET’S AVANTASIA – OUT THIS FRIDAY!!!

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Spindelta

W:O:A Metalhead
21 Dez. 2006
Great, great. Since the English part of this site doesn't get updated properly anymore, I'm hijacking this thread to consider the addition of Hatebreed and Killswitch Engage to Wacken.

This cements what most forum users here thought last year - the Wacken organisers no longer have an understanding of respectable metal, or indeed what metal is. Ok, it was a big plus that BFMV never played last year, but this is what all of the moaning was about: the increasing amounts of kiddie friendly hardcore influenced music. Wacken is about two years away from a full Download/Ozzfest line-up, and it's shameful.

Random_dude_667

7 Jan. 2007
Peterborough, England
lol, hijacking a thread, now thats enginuty!

It is a bit of a worrying trend, but I can't think that Killswitch Engage and Hatebreed this year is any worse than ATR last year, as well as the wished additions of BFMV, AILD and Mendeed, I'll reserve my judgement until I see how high they get on the line-ups, because last year I complained and my annoyances were unfounded as no band made it onto the mainstage (although considering the size of the bands I doubt we'll be that lucky again), I think 2-3 years away from an Ozzfest/Download line up may be a wee bit of an exageration, its getting worse, but I think the number of actual Metal bands pretty much outweighs the Metalcore ones.

I mean Kamelot, Kreator, Avantasia, Sonata Arctica, Carcass and At the Gates are all enough to keep me interested, would like a bit more extreme metal though, but I imagine that'll come with time.

Spindelta

21 Dez. 2006
I don't know man, Hatebreed is pretty much the most popular 'hardcore' band (hardcore in quotes because I don't want to offend actual hardcore fans) and Killswitch Engage are the most popular metalcore band. AILD, ATR and Mendeed all at least pretended to be extreme with over produced kick pedals. But Hatebreed and KsE are run of the mill Kerrang promoted toss. Combined, I'd say, they are as unwelcome at a metal festival as BFMV. Fuck, these bands even make Trivium look good.

I expect that more extreme bands will be added yeah, but they were already bumped down the roster last year for toss like In Flames.

Random_dude_667

7 Jan. 2007
Peterborough, England
I don't know man, Hatebreed is pretty much the most popular 'hardcore' band (hardcore in quotes because I don't want to offend actual hardcore fans) and Killswitch Engage are the most popular metalcore band. AILD, ATR and Mendeed all at least pretended to be extreme with over produced kick pedals. But Hatebreed and KsE are run of the mill Kerrang promoted toss. Combined, I'd say, they are as unwelcome at a metal festival as BFMV. Fuck, these bands even make Trivium look good.

I expect that more extreme bands will be added yeah, but they were already bumped down the roster last year for toss like In Flames.

hehe, as for making Trivium look good now lets not say things we'll regret later, we all know thats not true and suggesting it is just silly :p

To be fair I don't have a problem with In Flames either, their older stuff is mint (as well as thankfully being the stuff they play most live) so they at least put on a good show. And as or Hatebreed they'll get a slot on the party stage almost certainly I reckon, so it'll be easy enough to avoid them, I know its not the point, but its something at least.

Id consider Lacuna Coil to be as bad as Killswitch Engage in terms of Kerrang sponsorship, and they'll probably get similar slots but I do see your point none the less, Id rather they didn't play because if I wanted to see Killswwitch Engage then Id go see them in England where they tour every other fucking day (and yet Running Wild and Tankard refuse to ever play? I feel cheated), Id rather see a better band.

Sam Przyborowski

2 Apr. 2005
Coventry
Wacken is about two years away from a full Download/Ozzfest line-up, and it's shameful.

The rest of the bands announced so far states otherwise.

Every year for the past few years theres been a few more 'mainstream' bands on the lineup. So far, no different. I certainly won't bitch about it until the stuff like this is greater than the 'more traditional' Wacken bands. Of which In Flames and Lacuna Coil could be counted amonst, Difference being of course in recent years the mainstream UK music press have finally caught on thats theres a big Metal scene in Europe and they don't have to bum American bands all the time.

Spindelta

21 Dez. 2006
Perhaps it was over zealous of me to expect the Wacken line-up to be precisely as bad as Download within two years, but it's already at the point when it's bad enough. I suppose the only reason that it bothers me is that it's a shame. Wacken used to be pretty fuckin' genuine, and now I can't imagine myself ever buying tickets for it.

I also take exception to the mixing of core with metal, like it's ok because the sound is still distorted. I saw some fucktarded core band supporting Destruction last night, and they might as well have been playing jazz for all their relation to metal. Wacken does not need these bands, or their fans.

Sam Przyborowski

2 Apr. 2005
Coventry
Obituary confirmed and back on track. Surely you can't moan about that one...

Although what I will moan about is the lack of band announcements in English, yet for some reason telling us that the new Avantasia EP is back in stock in Germany IS translated.....sort it out.

LXE

17 Juni 2003
Mpls. MN USA
LXE.US
@ Spindolta

If you don't like the bands,and feel the need to whine and complain, maybe you shouldn't go.....or, if you have a problem with certain music, simply don't listen while they're playing. There's no need to disrespect the organizers of the fest because you don't approve of some of their entertainment choices.
If Hatbreed isn't metal, then I don't know what they are. Even if they weren't, that shouldn't keep them from being booked.
Maybe you should look at the origin of WOA, and you would notice that it has ALWAYS been a MIX of genres......even plenty of plain ol' rock, glam, comedy, and punk.
Don't be a bitch!

Spindelta

21 Dez. 2006
Dude, I'm not going to go. However I still reserve the right to be disappointed in a festival that is getting progressively worse, especially one that I enjoyed so much before hand. Wacken has always been a mix of styles true, but old school rock and punk are relevant to proper metal. The bands which I complain about are devoid of that which is fundamentally metal. Selling a shit load of records to teenagers is a sure sign that a band is doing something wrong, in my books. These bands are ideal for Download, not a respectable metal festival.

As for Hatebreed being metal, if you investigate some old school thrash and death, maybe you'll be able to spot the difference. Anyway, you enjoy the beatdown, I'll find another festival which doesn't pander to the popular crowd.

Sam, yeah, Obituary is a good booking. That makes two bands I'd like to see again, both of which I saw at Wacken in '05.

Spindelta

21 Dez. 2006
Like Iron Maiden? :p

Actually, I thought of Maiden as I wrote that. They don't do it for me personally, but I still have respect for the band. But they are well embraced by the crowd of Kerrang 'metallers' in the same way that Metallica are. I wouldn't say that Maiden are doing anything wrong, but I'd say that they do span very different demographics.

As for old and new bands sounding different, that's not precisely what I meant. There's a bundle of contemporary bands producing a sound and feel that resonates with my concept of metal. Any one of a number of the British thrash scene Evile, Gama Bomb, Mutant - Hail Of Bullets and Funebrarum in the death metal world - Tyrant and Haemoth in the black metal domain. Just a few examples. I'll be fucked if there isn't a world of difference between these bands and bands like As I Lay Dying or Hatebreed.

Kate McGee

W:O:A Metalgod
13 Aug. 2002
Kronach
franconianpsycho.blogspot.com
Actually, I thought of Maiden as I wrote that. They don't do it for me personally, but I still have respect for the band. But they are well embraced by the crowd of Kerrang 'metallers' in the same way that Metallica are. I wouldn't say that Maiden are doing anything wrong, but I'd say that they do span very different demographics.

As for old and new bands sounding different, that's not precisely what I meant. There's a bundle of contemporary bands producing a sound and feel that resonates with my concept of metal. Any one of a number of the British thrash scene Evile, Gama Bomb, Mutant - Hail Of Bullets and Funebrarum in the death metal world - Tyrant and Haemoth in the black metal domain. Just a few examples. I'll be fucked if there isn't a world of difference between these bands and bands like As I Lay Dying or Hatebreed.

And is there anything wrong about the fact that they, as you say, span very different demographics?

Well, perhaps it's just because it's another style that you dislike, be it metal or not.

Spindelta

21 Dez. 2006
Perhaps its because I've arbitrarily chosen to dislike a style, yes. However, of all the styles that I like from; heavy metal, thrash metal, power metal, death metal, doom metal, black metal - metalcore stands distinct with its own crowd of trendy haircut kids. I suppose it depends if your concept of metal is more than a cosmetic attempt that anyone can achieve (i.e. drums, guitar and some distortion).