Weather, clothes, shoes and experience??

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

metalmesh

5 Apr. 2015
Have a few questions, hoping someone can put my mind at ease.

I have never been to a metal festival before and the videos and images I have seen online seem quite scary to me. And there are few things I would like to have clarified so I know what to expect. From what I have seen I have considered not to go.

Firstly I am there for the music, I am not there for moshing, getting completely wasted, etc. In my early 40s just want to see a few bands together I know in one place and maybe hear some new ones. I also don't want to be at the front, there are certain bands I want to see and then go hang out outside the stages.

It appears from what I see online is there are no assigned seats and actually there are no seats, it is standing only for the entire 3 days?

What shoes to wear? The photos I have seen seems like a mud pit and everything is soaked. That doesn't sound nice. No sandals I see, some wear boots, etc, as I am traveling from outside of Europe I don't want to bring several pairs of shoes, but it seems like that may be necessary. What sort of shoes/boots are recommended? And other items to stay dry.

I see that jeans and long pants may also not be advisable, so what sort of pants should we bring? Night times may get chilly?

Small fold up raincoat seems vital! Recommendations?

Small bags, any recommendations, a bag to put whatever we need for the day in it like sun screen, water, etc. Preferably waterproof.

Thanks

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

KaeptnKorn

W:O:A Metalmaster
16 Juli 2003
Hamburg
Have a few questions, hoping someone can put my mind at ease.

I have never been to a metal festival before and the videos and images I have seen online seem quite scary to me. And there are few things I would like to have clarified so I know what to expect. From what I have seen I have considered not to go.

Images and videos usually show the extreme scenes. So the average experience is "quite" harmless. "Quite", because it is still a festival and not a pony farm.

Firstly I am there for the music, I am not there for moshing, getting completely wasted, etc. In my early 40s just want to see a few bands together I know in one place and maybe hear some new ones. I also don't want to be at the front, there are certain bands I want to see and then go hang out outside the stages.

Thats ok. Do the stuff you want to do. Nobody will force you. If you don't want to mosh, you should avoid the area directly infront of the stage. Thats where the action is. Move a little to the sides and/or to the back and you are fine. Most people there will just stand and watch the show without unnecessary movement. Just look at the crowd shots in wacken youtube videos.

Its vacation time, so most (99,9999%) people want fun and not stress. You can just talk to people if have you concerns or a problem. Usually everybody is very friendly and helpful. For the occasional idiots: just hope you won't meet them. Thats my tactic and it works just fine.

It appears from what I see online is there are no assigned seats and actually there are no seats, it is standing only for the entire 3 days?

There are no seats in the stage area. So it is mostly standing or sitting on the ground if the weather allows. There are benches at the beer gardens and in the wackinger village. And i think you can buy cardboard stools, that can be taken into the stage area. Other seats/chairs are usually not allowed in the stage area.

What shoes to wear? The photos I have seen seems like a mud pit and everything is soaked. That doesn't sound nice. No sandals I see, some wear boots, etc, as I am traveling from outside of Europe I don't want to bring several pairs of shoes, but it seems like that may be necessary. What sort of shoes/boots are recommended? And other items to stay dry.
Wardrobe depends on the weather. Last year we had the most kickass summer weather in a decade. No mud, just dust. But you should always anticipate some rain. Its kind of the standard. Sadly. But a total mud wasteland is the exception.

I wear military leather boots all the time. When its sunny, they are little warm. But thats the only disadvantage. They are waterproof, dirt resistant, very sturdy, suitable for rough terrain (remember that the festival takes place on a meadow, so the ground isn't plain) and it doesn't matter if someone accidentally steps on your toes. I wear them at home for garden work, concerts and some other occasions, so i am accustomed to them and they are very comfy.

In the course of a festival day you will walk some miles (changing stages, going to your tent, etc.) and stand a lot. So make sure, that your shoes and your feet have met before. Otherwise it may result in horrible blisters.

If you don't like boots or don't want to buy and "train" with them just for one festival, wear the shoes you usually wear. But they should be of a certain robustness. In case the festival gets flooded, pack some rubber/wellington boots. Many people use them.

I see that jeans and long pants may also not be advisable, so what sort of pants should we bring? Night times may get chilly?
Small fold up raincoat seems vital! Recommendations?

I wear pants, where you can zip off the legs. So i only need to bring one pair. If you wear normal pants, just roll up the legs, if it is to warm.

Yes, nights get chilly. If the weather is cloudy, the days might to. So bring a sweater and/or a jacket.

Raincoat is indeed vital. Your welcome bag ("Full Metal Bag") will contain at least one emergency raincoat. Its like a garbage bag with wholes for head and arms, all in the size of a cigarette pack. It will tear apart, when used frequently, because its cheap. I carry my own poncho with me (military again). The pocho is long enough, so that rain doesn't run on my pants.

Make sure that your raingear can protect you for hours, since concerts are long and won't stop or pause when it rains.

Small bags, any recommendations, a bag to put whatever we need for the day in it like sun screen, water, etc. Preferably waterproof.

Thanks

You can use your Full Metal Bag, since it is kind of a backpack. Thats where i keep my poncho and stuff (sweater for the evening etc.).

Be sure to check the festival rules, because many things are not allowed in front of the stages. Water for example may only be stored in the foldable bottle from the Full Metal Bag. Be you can refill it for free in the stagearea and all shower camps on the campground.

If you have questions regarding general festival equipment, just google for something like "festival packing list" or so.

KaeptnKorn

16 Juli 2003
Hamburg
One thing i wanted to add: I like to be prepared, so i am a little geared up.

Other people just need the ticket and a bottle of booze.

You have to find your own style in between.

nuclear_demon

W:O:A Metalhead
27 Mai 2013
Alpenrepublik
Well, regarding the stuff for camping:

As you are travelling from outside of europe, you can buy nearly everthing ( groceries, tent, camping-chair, clothes) at the festival or in Wacken (the village).

So you don't need to bring everthing by yourself.

metalmesh

5 Apr. 2015
Hey Kaeptnkorn,

Thanks a bunch for your feedback on all of this, I apprecaite it. I also like to be prepared and this is the reason for my post.

As I am coming a long way packing a whole bunch of items I am going to use for only three days in Europe is a little hard, but seems I might not have a choice.

We won't have a tent, will be staying at a hotel down south a bit I think.

You said the chairs are cardboard? How does that work? Must be pretty sturdy, but never heard them being cardboard.

I have Merrell hiking boots, but I don't want them to get ruined from the mud, I have heard of some products that can cover them up and wellingtons I know, but are heavy to pack.

Where did you get your poncho? Can you link it? I am looking for something durable but light weight and small enough that won't take up a bunch of room in my bag. I have found some online that are like $100 each, seems a littel pricey, but I want to be prepared. Rain pants am considering as well.

Where did you get the military boots, Germany? Don't want to pack more stuff to take home, visiting many other countries in Europe while I am over there.
I am guessing something like this, just isn't going to cut it right? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...lat-Slip-resistant-Overshoes/32224402470.html due to the terrain.... I was hoping these might work as they are light weight.

Do you have a picture of the full metal bag and the contents? I want to check out the size of the bag. Is that plastic, can withstand the rain apparently.

Just how chilly are the nights going to get? I read somewhere around 12C, that seems like winter to me, I am coming from a place that willb e 36C in August.

I cannot find the list of banned items.. Can you link me?

Thanks again.

@nuclear --- So I can buy ponchos and wellingtons or something at the festival grounds? Decent quality? or just enough for the day's use?

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Hey Kaeptnkorn,

Thanks a bunch for your feedback on all of this, I apprecaite it. I also like to be prepared and this is the reason for my post.

As I am coming a long way packing a whole bunch of items I am going to use for only three days in Europe is a little hard, but seems I might not have a choice.

You said the chairs are cardboard? How does that work? Must be pretty sturdy, but never heard them being cardboard.

I have Merrell hiking boots, but I don't want them to get ruined from the mud, I have heard of some products that can cover them up and wellingtons I know, but are heavy to pack.

Where did you get your poncho? Can you link it? I am looking for something durable but light weight and small enough that won't take up a bunch of room in my bag. I have found some online that are like $100 each, seems a littel pricey, but I want to be prepared. Rain pants am considering as well.

Where did you get the military boots, Germany? Don't want to pack more stuff to take home, visiting many other countries in Europe while I am over there.
I am guessing something like this, just isn't going to cut it right? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...lat-Slip-resistant-Overshoes/32224402470.html due to the terrain.... I was hoping these might work as they are light weight.

Do you have a picture of the full metal bag and the contents? I want to check out the size of the bag. Is that plastic, can withstand the rain apparently.

Just how chilly are the nights going to get? I read somewhere around 12C, that seems like winter to me, I am coming from a place that willb e 36C in August.

Thanks again.

@nuclear --- So I can buy ponchos and wellingtons or something at the festival grounds? Decent quality? or just enough for the day's use?

There will be a poncho (or something like that) in the Metal Bag, you'll recieve once you get your wristband. It does the job while it rains, but after a festival, it's mostly useless, unless you are super careful with it. It's just a garbage bag with 3 holes in it. One for the head, 2 for the arms.
Which reminds me, that's good enough against the rain as well, and it's disposable. But once again, it's your choice!

KaeptnKorn

16 Juli 2003
Hamburg
Hey Kaeptnkorn,

Happy to help. And yes, the forum sucks at the moment. They are working on their servers, so hopefully everything will be faster soon.

As Nuclear Demon said, you can buy some equipment in Wacken on the festival site. The official Wacken-Merch-Shop sells some branded outdoor equipment. I am not sure, what items specifically, but that will be announced in the summer, i think. And there is the metal market with independent vendors plus probably some shops in the town of Wacken itself.
Quality won't be that high, but should suffice for half a week.

Or you go shopping in Hamburg where you will have the full variety of quality and prices.

They are stools or more like boxes/cylinders. Found a link.

Just use those boot. And when it gets to muddy, buy wellingtons on site or on your way to wacken.

I got that one. Its the standard german military version and part of every soldiers protective gear against weapons of mass destruction. :D Its almost indestructible but heavy and bulky (~1kg). Something lighter should work too. Just look online for army stores in your country.

You know the drill: standard german military boots. :D As mentioned above: Use your hiking boots and when the weather sucks buy wellingtons on site.

The link was in my last post. Click the picture, the bag is in the center. Its like a gym bag. Its not waterproof, but if you keep it under your raincoat, its safe. My 2013-Issue is 45cm x 35cm. If you keep the contents under 2kg, the bag will easily hold up.

When you stay at a hotel, you have to pack for the whole day. A real bag or backpack would be better i assume. Sweater, Raincoat etc. adds up to quite a pile. I stay on the campground, so i can quickly get stuff from my tent and don't have to pack in advance.

Depends on the weather, but sounds about right. If you stand in the crowd or walk, then a sweater should be enough. In the morning hours its coldest, but you're in your hotel by then.

Thanks again.

Nope, not online yet. Will be published in the summer. Look for festival abc.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Mist, didn't see the rest. :(

Banned items will be posted on the FAQ (under "Festival Info") but it isn't online yet. (at least, not in English)

I have found this:
7. Prohibited items
7.1. Prohibited on the complete festival area are;

7.1.1. Glas bottles of any kind, animals/domestic animals, weapons of all kinds (also in a technical sense), fire toarches, pyrotechnical things, Vuvuzelas (I know, I missed 2 things, this is a translation from DE into EN), megaphones, shirts from right wing bands, commercial, political or reglgious articles of any kind (e.g. metal bible), banner, shields, symbols or flyers, as well as dangerous articles of any kind.

7.1.2. without a written concent in advance, photo, film and video cameras or such recording equiptment, that do not serve, due to size, way, equiptment, for private use.

7.2. On the complete area of the festival area, especially the infield, in tents (that do make part of the festival), on the stages, as well as Wacken Plaza & Wacken Center, are prohibited extra the following items: all form of glas, (even parfum bottles), camelbags, cans, plastic and PET bottles, drinking horns, tin cans (even hairspray, deo etc.), CS gas, pepper spray, nailed wristbands/necklesses and belts with high or sharp points, or points with a lenghth of more than 1.5cm, chains, flag posts, sticks, bullit belts, and/or any other drink carriers, your own food, hard packing, coolboxes, other heavy things.
It was in German only, unfortunately, hence the rough translation. Even when I looked it up at the English version of www.wacken.com

Last year, we had day temps going to the 30s but at night it's more like 10-15°C (50-60°F), which is actually warm for us. But then again, in 2012(?), it rained all day, and the whole festival area was a mud bath!

nuclear_demon

W:O:A Metalhead
27 Mai 2013
Alpenrepublik

:D:D
actually for me it's the other way around. I just arrived in Florida and I am a little bit afraid of August because we already got 28°C at the beginning of April over here.

Well I think KaeptnKorn already answered that one. Me and my friends are used to buy everything we need bevor the festival and put all that stuff in our cars.
But there are a lot of people who are arriving by train, bus, or plane.
Most of them buy their gear onsite.

Last year, we had day temps going to the 30s but at night it's more like 10-15°C (50-60°F), which is actually warm for us. But then again, in 2012(?), it rained all day, and the whole festival area was a mud bath!

2012 was an exemption, I guess. It was raining for weeks even before the festival started and all the ground was already soaked up with water. :)

Zuletzt bearbeitet: