Circle Pits and Wall of Death

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

r1Co

17 Dez. 2006
I actually don't like pits or Walls of Death's when I'm sober (little bit of a different story when I'm drunk I guess) but I still think they belong at a metal festival, what's next? seating? come on! I'll just go out of my way whenever I don't want to be in one of them. I actually have a much bigger problem with crowd surfers. You constantly have to watch behind you if someone isn't planting their army boots to your head when you're upfront. Last 10 minutes at fear factory I didn't even see the band because I just stood their with my back towards them, which for me kinda sucked. So if you want to ban anything, ban Crowd surfing please :p

22 Apr. 2010
Monterrey, México
*sarcasm mode on* If they want to ban the wall of death because it's dangerous, then, ban the beer and the headbang...it's dangerous too. *sarcasm mode off*

C'mon, what's next? We want fun, if somebody don't like the pits or the Wall of death, so, why he was there? You can see the bands in every place, if you want to be very near and you can't because you need to be in the wall of death, so, you had never go to a Metal concert! The Wall of Death and circle pits are everywhere! Not only in Wacken!

Deathbringer

W:O:A Metalmaster
13 März 2009
Massachusetts
Ah... I am sure that there is a difference there.

But you cannot blame me for making the mistake in thinking that you were talking about pits - considering that this is a thread about pits.

And I think I am right in that many people are arrogant about their pits and every country wants to claim to have the most "brutal" pits when they're probably the same everywhere...

From my experience; Wacken was more "brutal", and not in a good way, than the pits in my area. Which is why I will occasionally mosh here but never at Wacken. Besides the fact that I would be a good few thousand km away from home, and getting hurt that far away just doesn't sound appealing to me.

pure-krypton

10 Sep. 2010
Well 2011 will be my first Wacken ever and I'm making the trip all the way from Australia. CAN'T WAIT!!
Anyway, wall of deaths and circle pits are part of metal culture and history. Part of the reason why I was drawn to Wacken. You take away a piece of our culture and you'll start pushing away the people that make metal what it is.
I've never been in a pit, wall of death or circle pit I didn't want to.

Lift the ban for 2011 and get our feedback. You'll see that you made a mistake banning them in 2010 :)

Arno van Loo

W:O:A Metalhead
10 Dez. 2009
München
Well 2011 will be my first Wacken ever and I'm making the trip all the way from Australia. CAN'T WAIT!!
Anyway, wall of deaths and circle pits are part of metal culture and history. Part of the reason why I was drawn to Wacken. You take away a piece of our culture and you'll start pushing away the people that make metal what it is.
I've never been in a pit, wall of death or circle pit I didn't want to.

Lift the ban for 2011 and get our feedback. You'll see that you made a mistake banning them in 2010 :)

Thanks! You all saw how many middle fingers went up every time he said they were banned. ^^

BarVader

10 Juli 2009
Valencia, Spain
All this stuff is not the same

Well, I did never participate in a wall of death or a circle pit. They usually happen in the first rows of the festival, but I prefer standing in the last ones, so that I am free to move to other stages :p Anyway, I don't know wether it is easy or not to escape from a circle pit/wall of death.

On the other hand, you can see people moshing almost everywhere, depending on the concert. Moshing is not always restricted to the first rows. Sometimes I feel like moshing, sometimes not. But if you don't want to mosh, just have to move some steps away, people moshing don't occupy more than few square meters. I think it's relatively easy to scape from it.

And finally we have crowdsurfing. I have never done it, and maybe I would not. I don't have any problem with moderated crowdsurfing. But I dislike it when there are so many people coming to me (or few people but very often) so that I cannot pay attention to the concert, since I have to take care of the people coming to me. I took a long trip to arrive to Wacken, to see concerts, not to watch out the people crowdsurfing to me and who could kick my face if someone else releases the surfer too soon. Moreover, you cannot avoid crowdsurfing so easily: they are coming for you!!! :p

Therefore I think that all this stuff should not be considered as the same. The injury risks, the localization of the 'risk sources' (circle pits, etc.), the ease of escape and other disturbances are not the same for all of them, so forbidding X (say, walls of death) should not imply forbidding all the others.

In my opinion, none of these things should be forbidden, provided that no one is forced to take part in them. The only restriction would be perhaps to limit crowdsurfing so that one can enjoy the concert without being interrupted every minute by a crowdsurfer.