coming from NY. need help.

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

808Metal

W:O:A Metalmaster
30 Nov. 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
thats why he's in rehab! HAHA

Ill always love Metalica despite one failed album. First album I ever bought-Master.

My first was Kill Em All. I bought it on vinyl the day it was released and I still have it. Kill Em All is my personal favorite with Master Of Puppets 2nd, Ride The Lightning 3rd.

blackmocco

20 Aug. 2008
There was a time when there wasnt as many bands as there are now and Metalica reigned. so thats a fact. (yes im older)
Do I really care if they will be there this year? Not really. More interested in the Scandinavian metal scene.

I cant even say if i even heard one song from BFMV to be honest but ill take your word that we can do without.

I'm so confident you won't give two shits, Rice, I'll even buy you your brews during BFMV's set!

metal_martin

W:O:A Metalhead
16 Nov. 2008
Peterborough, England
Opeth just played 2008, sadly, although wouldn't bother me one bit if they played again. Yeah, that seems to be how the camping works. People bitch and moan a bit about the walk from the campsite to the grounds if you get there too late but it's not so bad. All the better to take in the majesty of the entire experience.

True, but it's nowhere near as bad as Download where the walk was bloody miles. Also a lot more fun at Wacken because of the (ridiculous?) effort some people put in to their camping areas.

here

and here/

rice

11 Dez. 2008
NJ "garbage state"
Haha! Until BFMV sound good. However many that takes! Not to worry. Wacken serves its beer in LITRE steiners! Mind you, you're a Jersey girl, right? You'll probably drink me under the fuckin' table and that's coming from a proud Irishman...

Lol, im gonna say for my own benefit that one "Litre Steiner" is all i can handle. However i really hope that BFMV plays a long ass setlist. :D:p

I was wondering by the airial views of WOA , since the camping areas are only to the front of the stages mainly,(meaning you cant come from behind the stages) any advice on how long would I have to wait out near the stage prior to 'In Flames' time to take stage since I cant come from really any other direction except the front (and that means the camping areas). I guessing a whole day, depending on when they take stage and because other bands will play before them... ugh whatever ill figure it out. Id hate to be in the center and way far in the back so ill have to figure out a way up close route. without cutting through the crowd whos already waiting to tighten space.

All this for In Flames. If they come on the last day i can make it up front while everyones puking in their tents and acting out of control due to too much alcohol. (back at the campsites)
yea its a possible plot for my sake. Unless BFMV plays right before InFlames. THen there could be a problem. Right blackmocco?

jvoorhees

20 Jan. 2008
Australia
Lol, im gonna say for my own benefit that one "Litre Steiner" is all i can handle.

I dunno, you're liable to sweat it all out by the time you finish it. Handy refills are available everywhere though.

I was wondering by the airial views of WOA , since the camping areas are only to the front of the stages mainly,(meaning you cant come from behind the stages) any advice on how long would I have to wait out near the stage prior to 'In Flames' time to take stage

Depends on how eager the rest of the drunken mob is to see them too :)

Last year was our first time, and for some bands like Obituary we got there like 15-30 minutes before they went on (so either towards the end of the previous set or during set up time), and had no problems getting a decent spot at the front. Other bands like Hatebreed, Exodus, Gorgoroth, the area was packed quite early on. Maiden, well, people were there all day I am sure just to reserve a spot ;)

I would say for most bands, then if you give yourself 30-60 mins, you should be fine.

All this for In Flames.

Heh, seeing them for the first time here in 2 months, and can't wait. Seeing them at Wacken 09 will be even better.

If they come on the last day i can make it up front while everyones puking in their tents and acting out of control due to too much alcohol. (back at the campsites)

I think you underestimate peoples puking abilities, it's not restricted to the tent area :D

blackmocco

20 Aug. 2008
Lol, im gonna say for my own benefit that one "Litre Steiner" is all i can handle. However i really hope that BFMV plays a long ass setlist. :D:p

I was wondering by the airial views of WOA , since the camping areas are only to the front of the stages mainly,(meaning you cant come from behind the stages) any advice on how long would I have to wait out near the stage prior to 'In Flames' time to take stage since I cant come from really any other direction except the front (and that means the camping areas). I guessing a whole day, depending on when they take stage and because other bands will play before them... ugh whatever ill figure it out. Id hate to be in the center and way far in the back so ill have to figure out a way up close route. without cutting through the crowd whos already waiting to tighten space.

All this for In Flames. If they come on the last day i can make it up front while everyones puking in their tents and acting out of control due to too much alcohol. (back at the campsites)
yea its a possible plot for my sake. Unless BFMV plays right before InFlames. THen there could be a problem. Right blackmocco?

Well, the waiting in front of the stage thing I dunno about, Rice. You're probably young and indestructible as opposed to this old warhorse but I'm assuming In Flames will have a similar spot on the bill that At The Gates did this year and the crowd's going to be pretty immense by that point. That's dusk so yeah, I dunno. G'luck with that.
Try to remember that bands start playing at 11AM and it can get hot so really, it's a question of just how much you love In Flames. I wanted to get up front for Opeth this year but it just couldn't be done and as for Maiden, well, that just wasn't happening.
I'll give you some serious advice though and heed it well. I dunno if you've been to a European festival before but it's a different world than a US one. Security's a lot more lax and the crowds are far, FAR wilder than their US counterparts. Be careful, okay? US crowds tend to be more organized, laid back and respectful. Wacken's is a fucking madhouse!

rice

11 Dez. 2008
NJ "garbage state"
Well, the waiting in front of the stage thing I dunno about, Rice. You're probably young and indestructible as opposed to this old warhorse but I'm assuming In Flames will have a similar spot on the bill that At The Gates did this year and the crowd's going to be pretty immense by that point.
I just saw them here in NYC 2 weeks ago and it was pretty crazy, thank god the warehouse held about 4-5 other mezznines which i got up to the 3rd balcony and it was a GREAT view of the show but the pits were scary looking down. bodies got thrown everywhere. Im a girl and i cant handle that, I am quite destructible!

I'll give you some serious advice though and heed it well. I dunno if you've been to a European festival before but it's a different world than a US one. Security's a lot more lax and the crowds are far, FAR wilder than their US counterparts. Be careful, okay? US crowds tend to be more organized, laid back and respectful. Wacken's is a fucking madhouse!
I go every year to Sziget Fest, coming from the states this is the main "event" i look forward to every year as it is as big 400.000+ people coming and staying, and camping, not 3 but 8 days and nights! Its huge and very mixed , mixed stages, mixed music, bands and mixed people. All spread out , moreso than Wacken. BUT Ive never seen many cops(security) there either and i can see why since theres never any fights that go on there, like ZERO in all the years i have been there. This to me in just amazing. Since here in the states people fight at the drop of their aggression hats. Ive seen some nasty things go down out of the hostility mixed with alcohol in people in the states can have, so I prefer europe any day over the US. And yes i realize this is an all Metal fest, i expect alot of fun, great bands, dirty clothes, dirty people, dirtier mouths! and a few fights here and there are expected, everything but alot less violence than from what iv seen here in the states. I hope anyway.

Just look wht happened to Woodstock when RATM took stage.. I love Rage, not their fault but a bunch of assholes decided to torch the stage , the main water lines were broken., people got destroyed, some died,,,,,, what a mess.. and you call US organized? the one thing that started people to get mad was the overly high-priced bottles of water, lack of food, beer and at one point, no water - total mayhem. and so many cops really to beat the shit out of everyone and even the ones who were hurting and dehydrated!
On the other hand I have been to many Ozfests here in the states and they may be more organized but we americans dont for a second stop and actually think there wont be any problems. i dont mean peeing or puking but just the pushing to get into the crowd can turn into an almost riotlike event and it sucks!

This is why Id rather try to get up close to the stage before hand. Ill try that is.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

blackmocco

20 Aug. 2008
I just saw them here in NYC 2 weeks ago and it was pretty crazy, thank god the warehouse held about 4-5 other mezznines which i got up to the 3rd balcony and it was a GREAT view of the show but the pits were scary looking down. bodies got thrown everywhere. Im a girl and i cant handle that, I am quite destructible!

I go every year to Sziget Fest, coming from the states this is the main "event" i look forward to every year as it is as big 400.000+ people coming and staying, and camping, not 3 but 8 days and nights! Its huge and very mixed , mixed stages, mixed music, bands and mixed people. All spread out , moreso than Wacken. BUT Ive never seen many cops(security) there either and i can see why since theres never any fights that go on there, like ZERO in all the years i have been there. This to me in just amazing. Since here in the states people fight at the drop of their aggression hats. Ive seen some nasty things go down out of the hostility mixed with alcohol in people in the states can have, so I prefer europe any day over the US. And yes i realize this is an all Metal fest, i expect alot of fun, great bands, dirty clothes, dirty people, dirtier mouths! and a few fights here and there are expected, everything but alot less violence than from what iv seen here in the states. I hope anyway.

Just look wht happened to Woodstock when RATM took stage.. I love Rage, not their fault but a bunch of assholes decided to torch the stage , the main water lines were broken., people got destroyed, some died,,,,,, what a mess.. and you call US organized? the one thing that started people to get mad was the overly high-priced bottles of water, lack of food, beer and at one point, no water - total mayhem. and so many cops really to beat the shit out of everyone and even the ones who were hurting and dehydrated!
On the other hand I have been to many Ozfests here in the states and they may be more organized but we americans dont for a second stop and actually think there wont be any problems. i dont mean peeing or puking but just the pushing to get into the crowd can turn into an almost riotlike event and it sucks!

This is why Id rather try to get up close to the stage before hand. Ill try that is.

Nah, I've been to a few Ozzfests as well, Rice. This doesn't compare on any level! Hahaha! As much as I hate to risk offending my current home's metal-going crowds, the European crowds just take no prisoners. That's why I love Wacken. Leaving all their problems and shit outside the door for four days of good-natured mayhem. I have no doubt there's pockets of trouble that spring up when you throw this many people together with an open-for-23-hours-every-day-bar but I saw no trouble whatsoever. Everyone seemed very much plugged into the same wavelength. If there's going to be any trouble or risk to one's self, I would imagine it'll be more accidental than anything else...

WhiskeyFist666

31 Jan. 2008
Los Angeles
It's good to think that everything is nice and peachy at Wacken. For the most part it is. But I found my self restraining back my anger a few times while at the festival. Though a large part of the festival goers are friendly, another large part have a negative point of view towards Americans. There are many Germans, and other nationalities, that resent us. I'm sure you already know what I mean. I had my patience tested a few times. The confrontations never got passed words though, nothing physical. I wouldn't want to get thrown in a German jail. The thought of getting a nights share of German Sausage where the sun don't shine doesn't really appeal to me very much. I suggest traveling in a group.

Keeper

16 Feb. 2008
Los Angeles, CA
At first it'll seem overwhelming. Take a minute to drink a beer and stock up for the train ride. Once you get your mind set It'll be easy. Most Germans speak fluent english. You'll see the influx of Metalheads making there pilgrimage towards Wacken. Don't take a taxi. They charge too much. Take the number 110 bus in front of the airport to the Ohlsdorf train station. Catch the train in ohlsdorf heading towards Altona. From Altona you catch the train heading towards itzehoe. From Itzehoe take the Wacken shuttle to the fest. If you have questions, just ask the people at the service desk at the Hamburg airport. Ask them how to get to altona. To kill some time before the fest I suggest staying at the Reaperbahn or St. Pauli. You'll get a good mental trip. Just follow the Metalheads.

HAHA! I don't believe you remembered all that train info!!!