is metal a predominantly white subculture??

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Tomatentöter

W:O:A Metalgod
23 Aug. 2004
Metalfranken
hmm, I also wondered why I dont see any black people who are metalheads.....
I could imagine that one reason is the different culture. I also dont know an arabic metal scene.

Lucretia

W:O:A Metalmaster
10 Okt. 2002
Hamburg
Zombi schrieb:
i think the metal part is useless. i mean, I listen to many forms of music and go to various other festivals, all of which seem to be attended by a very large majority of white people with bands made of mainly of white people.

erm, have you ever been to a Reggae or Hip Hop event? There you'll find the black people for sure.
But we could also turn around the question or phenomenon and ask why there's so little white people in the Rap and Hip Hop scene!?

Zombi schrieb:
it would be more interesting if you looked at areas where the white/black population is roughly 50/50. then see who goes to the rock & metal shows...

I've had the same disussion with people from South Africa. There its still mainly the whites going to metal shows, but not exclusively.

Yeah, strange thing anyway, and really a pity! I really think it should be more mixed, but I have no clue if one can do something about it :confused:

Lucretia

10 Okt. 2002
Hamburg
Tomatentöter schrieb:
I also dont know an arabic metal scene.

well, there you are completely wrong. They do have a scene, at least in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt. If you want, I can give you a few links (though I've posted them in here before, sometime...)

Zombi

10 Jan. 2002
Edinburgh, Scotland
Lucretia schrieb:
erm, have you ever been to a Reggae or Hip Hop event? There you'll find the black people for sure.
But we could also turn around the question or phenomenon and ask why there's so little white people in the Rap and Hip Hop scene!?

yes. my bad for not stating which forms of music I mean.

dittohead

4 Feb. 2003
im not white :D

but i dont really like the british metal scene nether
wayy too arrogant :D

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
MetalCommando schrieb:
This is something that deeply interests me, but unfortunately I have had bad luck with this issue.Tried to start a discussion on another board about it, sadly the result of that is that my bad opinion of the average british metalhead is still standing- and there is nothing good about it. Nevermind.
So- here comes the question: is metal a predominantly white subculture?? If so, why?

No. It is also asian, latin, arab and whatnot. But it is a largely non-black subculture, sadly so. As to why, I don't know.

MetalCommando

W:O:A Metalhead
8 Juli 2003
England
www.forfuckssakes.net
monochrom schrieb:
No. It is also asian, latin, arab and whatnot. But it is a largely non-black subculture, sadly so. As to why, I don't know.

the why is the important part
I have some theories...
1. It is mostly based in the west
2. it has a bad reputation ( racist violence was associated with punk and by extention metal)
3. Does not necessarily relate to the issues faced by blacks

/discuss

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
MetalCommando schrieb:
the why is the important part
I have some theories...
1. It is mostly based in the west
2. it has a bad reputation ( racist violence was associated with punk and by extention metal)
3. Does not necessarily relate to the issues faced by blacks

/discuss

Three very good reasons.

catlash

W:O:A Metalhead
21 Nov. 2005
Tulsa, Oklahoma
www.myspace.com
monochrom schrieb:
Three very good reasons.

Racism is not related with punk here in the states-only with skinheads. I have seen very little racism in metal at all and there is a smal minority of black metalheads throughout the states as LC says. My theory is it comes from the fact that music they grew up on and music we grew up on branched in different directions and so the more 'traditional' people stayed those routes. A few bands currently are trying to crossover and tear down old fences, like Kins X did in the 80's but time will tell.