where are the Aussies?-2013

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.
9 Nov. 2012
Melbourne, Australia
There was a suggestion to put up a new Aussies thread for the 2013 Wacken. So here it is. How many of you are there?
I also have a question... I noticed that BBQ's are allowed.. Which is great, except a BBQ for my lonesome self seems a bit indulgent. In the past has there been Aussie camps? Or is there a call for it in 2013?

Mikhail.

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
There was a suggestion to put up a new Aussies thread for the 2013 Wacken. So here it is. How many of you are there?
I also have a question... I noticed that BBQ's are allowed.. Which is great, except a BBQ for my lonesome self seems a bit indulgent. In the past has there been Aussie camps? Or is there a call for it in 2013?

Mikhail.

Well I'm going for the 3rd time next year :D I will most likely be staying with my German friends again, but I'm always up for some form of meet-up in the beer garden or something one afternoon :)

If you don't have such luck getting an Aussie camp together and you're hellbent on staying with a group of them, bring/look out for an Aussie flag and you'll be set. Hanging out or staying with complete strangers from other countries is super-duper fun though. Having said that I'd be lying if I said meeting and hanging out with Aussies you don't know isn't cool :)

Failing that, I still promise you won't be alone. I travelled around Europe alone this year and before I even set foot in the grounds I already had 4 people offer for me to stay with them (in the end I bumped into my 2010 drinking buddies and stayed with them instead). Don't worry about the barbie issue; sharing stuff is a good way to make friends ;)

BTW both times I have stayed in Camp A (no cars allowed). There always seemed to be loads of youths, loners and newbies there, plus the household across from the camp ground sell breakfast and snacks from their backyard.

9 Nov. 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Well I'm going for the 3rd time next year :D I will most likely be staying with my German friends again, but I'm always up for some form of meet-up in the beer garden or something one afternoon :)

If you don't have such luck getting an Aussie camp together and you're hellbent on staying with a group of them, bring/look out for an Aussie flag and you'll be set. Hanging out or staying with complete strangers from other countries is super-duper fun though. Having said that I'd be lying if I said meeting and hanging out with Aussies you don't know isn't cool :)

Failing that, I still promise you won't be alone. I travelled around Europe alone this year and before I even set foot in the grounds I already had 4 people offer for me to stay with them (in the end I bumped into my 2010 drinking buddies and stayed with them instead). Don't worry about the barbie issue; sharing stuff is a good way to make friends ;)

BTW both times I have stayed in Camp A (no cars allowed). There always seemed to be loads of youths, loners and newbies there, plus the household across from the camp ground sell breakfast and snacks from their backyard.

Oh Sweet. Upcoming will be my first year. And not the last, I think. I watched Metal Evolution (power metal episode) last night, and saw in Wacken footage Jugglers and circus folk. Which is great, as I tend towards all that also!
Yeh, being my first solo trip overseas, this is a little daunting, but thank you for the advice. The idea that people share BBQ's and such is great, love it!

DamienC_666

2 Jan. 2013
well If I get my hands on some tix I have finaly decided to go to long have a thought about it and done nothing it would be kick ass if there were some aussies willing to share the expirance.

wackyv8

31 Okt. 2008
australia
here we go again \m/

got tix , will fly . looking forward to my 6th WOA . thanks for starting the thread brothermikhail .

9 Nov. 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Well, I am gonna be in Wacken on the 28th or 29th of July, what time/s are people arriving? I say pre festival drinks and any place that would have us.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Alix

12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
Well, I am gonna be in Wacken on the 28th or 29th of July, what time/s are people arriving? I say pre festival drinks and any place that would have us.

I'm arriving on the day, some time in the afternoon. I would strongly suggest a back-up plan regarding accommodation for those dates considering what happened last year. The grounds were so soaked from rain leading up to the festival that the earliest anyone was allowed to arrive was the day before it officially opened. Doesn't mean it will happen again this year but you never know until the day comes.

I guess the place that everyone goes leading up to the festival is a place in (or was it near?...) Reeperbahn called Night Light Heavy Metal Pub:
nightlight.jpg

I was there with friends on the Monday and already it was the most crowded bar I've ever been to (even after half the patrons spilled onto the streets), but that's where a lot of people go.

agresionpower

W:O:A Metalgod
22 Juni 2005
Almere, Holland
I'm arriving on the day, some time in the afternoon. I would strongly suggest a back-up plan regarding accommodation for those dates considering what happened last year. The grounds were so soaked from rain leading up to the festival that the earliest anyone was allowed to arrive was the day before it officially opened. Doesn't mean it will happen again this year but you never know until the day comes.

I guess the place that everyone goes leading up to the festival is a place in (or was it near?...) Reeperbahn called Night Light Heavy Metal Pub:
nightlight.jpg

I was there with friends on the Monday and already it was the most crowded bar I've ever been to (even after half the patrons spilled onto the streets), but that's where a lot of people go.

yeah or just check what the ballroom is doing those days http://www.ballroom-hamburg.de/

though I believe they don't have their own place anymore and organise stuff in other pubs/clubs nowadays.

Aussie Odin

29 Juni 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Back for No. 4

Have just successfully completed negotiations with Mrs Odin and have managed to secure trip no. 4 to Wacken!!! So yet another chance to fly the Oz flag and consume more of that wonderful German beer which does not cause hangovers.

BrotherMikhail - I suggest you get an Aussie flag and fly it at your tent. It's a sure way to attract quality country-folk. Or just interested locals - the Germans are always very impressed that we travel so far...

As for BBQs - you might be able to pick up a cheapie in a camping shop in Germany but personally I wouldn't bother. You're only there for a few days and there's 24-hour a day hot food available in the camp site and the festival area so you won't starve.

The most important thing to invest in at Wacken is the toilet pass. Pay the few euros to get the pass for the flush dunnies as they are grouse compared to the freebie non-flush dunnies which get pretty nasty after 4 or 5 days, especially if the weather is hot.

Alix

12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
The most important thing to invest in at Wacken is the toilet pass. Pay the few euros to get the pass for the flush dunnies as they are grouse compared to the freebie non-flush dunnies which get pretty nasty after 4 or 5 days, especially if the weather is hot.

Wuss :ugly: Damn it was hard enough waking up busting for a piss and having to put socks, boots and a hoodie on just so I could leave the tent to get to the closest loo :o PTC the flush dunnies sometimes smell just as bad and sometimes the lines just for the flush loos were extremely long.

Oi I still have a shower pass from last year that I only used once. Do you recon I could use that again?

moventura

13 Aug. 2012
I'm heading over to Wacken for my honeymoon. Arriving on the 31st (my Birthday :D)

First time outside of Australia, so currently trying to plan it all. Have a tour starting on the 4th through all of eastern europe, so hopefully it's easy to get from Wacken to Berlin on the 4th.

I've booked to stay at the Ready to Rock campsite. Thought that might be the easiest way to stay. Saves worrying about setting up a tent etc.

KyeLaura

26 Juli 2012
Another 4 Aussies heading over, will be myself and partners second Wacken and dragging 2 mates with us because we had such a good time last year! We will probably be coming from Amsterdam, and were thinking of the Ready to Rock campsite. Really need to get our plans together and flights booked. Last year we stayed at a hotel but definitely keen to check out the campground this year (fingers crossed for better weather!)

Alix

12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
Another 4 Aussies heading over, will be myself and partners second Wacken and dragging 2 mates with us because we had such a good time last year! We will probably be coming from Amsterdam, and were thinking of the Ready to Rock campsite. Really need to get our plans together and flights booked. Last year we stayed at a hotel but definitely keen to check out the campground this year (fingers crossed for better weather!)

The campsites are half the fun! Last year with the bad weather/grounds and coming down with a cold the first day there I still would rather that than stay at a hotel during a festival, but boy did I appreciate the perks of the 4* hotel I booked right after Wacken :D