Where are the Aussies? - 2012

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

xforeverxmetalx

W:O:A Metalgod
29 Dez. 2007
Thanks Whacky.

Yeah I have been doing quite a bit of reading, I suppose theres not much to ask after reading the stickies.

Couple of Q's I have which I havent been able to find much on:
- Whats the best way to go about having your phone work in Eurpope?
- Best Pub in Hamburg?
- Cost per Beer at Wacken? (I drink Becks lol)

That just about covers it haha!! Would love to meet the Aussie Contingent though.

I'm American, but take some answers anyway.

1. Get a GSM phone in the right frequencies if yours isn't. For the cheapest phone service, get a SIM card from a German phone company (I paid 13+15€ for 15€ of minutes/texts for a 2.5 week trip, got it off Ebay).
2. No idea
3. Expensive (what Q said). So get it (and food too) at the supermarket and save tons of money.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
I'm American, but take some answers anyway.

1. Get a GSM phone in the right frequencies if yours isn't. For the cheapest phone service, get a SIM card from a German phone company (I paid 13+15€ for 15€ of minutes/texts for a 2.5 week trip, got it off Ebay).
2. No idea
3. Expensive (what Q said). So get it (and food too) at the supermarket and save tons of money.

1) Those are easy to find, but be aware some don't want to sell to foreigners, not subscribed in Germany. Others have no problem, just need a valid ID.
3) (I'll pass 2) Where "supermarket" is mentioned, we mean the one IN or just OUTSIDE the village itself, NOT at the festival area!

wackyv8

31 Okt. 2008
australia
in response to whishys questions , i think Quark (the honorary aussie!)covered it mostly ..
-Your phone must work in EU. (900/1800Hz network)
-I don't know
-€3.50 per 0.4L and €1 deposit on the mug/cub/whatever. For a LITER mug it's €3 deposit, and €7 I think.

my answer is
1. for a phone to work it must run on the GSM 900 or 1800Hz network , check if your current one runs on those networks,if it does , just buy a SIM card when you get there ( usually a sim costs the value of how much you want to charge it up) ,or, buy a 20Eur cheapie phone and a SIM card when you get there .

2. Aaah Hamburg! ,( ich liebe HH) theres lots of places to enjoy there.

and 3. what Quark said , but me and you know its a litre ;) . there is the opportunity to buy booze in Wacken (the town),to take to your camping site , but, it is forbidden to take into the festival area.

Aussie Odin

29 Juni 2005
Melbourne, Australia
No wucken furries

If you've got a Telstra mobile you can set it up to roaming - just get in touch with em before you lob off to Deutschland.

As for grog - buy a shitload at a supermarket before you get there. If you're staying in a tent it'll get warm. If you're staying in a campervan (which is recommended by 10 out of 10 quality piss artists) your grog will remain nice n frosty. I recommend Bergadler Premium Pils that you can buy at some supermarkets. A nice drop. But security won't let you take your piss into the festival area (unlike the old days) so you'll have to shell out for the plastic cups of piss while you're watching the bands but it's OK as there no such thing as a bad beer in Germany.

Unfortunately I can't make it to Wacken this year but will hopefully be there for there for the 4th time in 2013 if I can talk the missus into letting me go.

PS - if you get a chance, go to the Headbangers Open Air Festival just outside Hamburg the weekend before Wacken - it's grouse. If you can't get in there the Metal Bash Festival is also a good warm up for Wacken. And go the Headbangers Ballroom in Hamburg the Sunday night after Wacken - they usually have some quality bands and it's a good night providing you're not completely knackered after Wacken.

Get amongst it!!!!