Not Impressed!

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.
7 Aug. 2002
Glasgow
Website besuchen
Most of you guys are very impressed with the job done by those 'geniuses' at the WOA organization, and you all loved Wacken this year, etc...

But, honestly, I don't know whether to laugh or to cry at this!?

WOA's 'heroic' statement doesn't impress me.

So what? Now you want to tell me that its hard to organize all those logistic issues in three days???? I know that!!!!!

What I never thoght before I went to Wacken was that you people wouldn't have any kind of consideration for the crowd that comes to marvel at this festival. Maybe it is because of the stereotiped pig-like behaviour of the metal-heads, or whatever that makes you think that the crowd will accept any stupid mistake, the overall grumpiness of your staff, the unhigienic conditions, etc... And I am amazed on how many of the people who write to this forum really have such a thick head!

I also know that from 13 years you might have learnt something about organization. It doesn't intimidate me your big idea of making a contest putting some guy running the show for some time or making someone a member of the crew... And that's because it is no big surprise that you work hard!
You are expected to work hard on such an event and you are expected to also take some time to think about the public!!! I should expect that you earn enough to work hard on it for whatever time you have - And, even if not--- to do it for the love of music. YES, that means to care for the public as well, because I tell you:
I worked hard all this last year (AND I study at University), just to come to Wacken and see CANDLEMASS. I did all that was required from my employers to earn that money!
And, guess what? After going to Wacken I spend around 750 Euros - I don't see the band I admire most of all.

Let me see, I do all this work... come to this festival... I spend loads to stay minimally confortable/clean... some arseholes expect me to know german and be at some info-point to look at changes in the R.O. every half hour... no information came to me at all, at least in english (which is the language in which 99% of the bands playing there used on their lirics...)... I end up missing the band I came to see in the first place... I try to complain and the staff at the info-point acts very surprised, saying that the information was there all along... there is no way I can go and see a manager or something... I later discover that this was only one among who knows how many screw-ups there were regarding the R.O. and other logistic issues even regarding giving the bands information on what is going on and picking up bands and bringing them to the festival area... ...

End result: NO SPONSORSHIP!
Know what? I gave you my share of sponsorship by going there and spending money on stuff either than the ticket and I despise you by not giving back what any reasonable person would ask for: at least some information!

As far as I am concerned, I am happy that no company/magazine is sponsoring, because they must have realised how useless it would be!!!
And if more people would be as smart, they would do the same and go to some other festival!

Sodomy&Lust

W:O:A Metalmaster
13 Apr. 2002
Madrid - Spain
Originally posted by BEARER of PAIN
Maybe it is because of the stereotiped pig-like behaviour of the metal-heads

I don't know whether to take it as a compliment or as an insult :D

I also think you should post this in the Q&A forum. The organizers may read it there.

holocaust

W:O:A Metalhead
9 Jan. 2002
Fucking Belgium
www.asl.to
well well well, mister big spender is going to tell the organisation how to run the festival. Let me tell you that I have gone to places where you could almost scrape the shit off the walls. Places where the sound was much worse then on wacken and where the organisation told us to get the fuck off the festival area if we didn't like how things were going.

I'm telling you wacken is doing the best they can. If you can do better, organise your own fucking festival, cocksucker !

Rosk

30 Mai 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
Just a question:

If you wanted to see Candlemass so hard... why didn't you go to ANY other of their tour dates???? They did some UK dates (would have been considerably less expensive for you as well) Festivals are always messy and bands play considerably less time than on a solo gig....

People here is pleased with Wacken because they had a good time seeing bands, meeting people and getting drunk. They don't have to be pissed because YOU missed Candlemass.....

I agree the guys at the organization need to IMPROVE A LOT, but I was satisfied with WOA 2002 and looking forward to go on 2003.

DeathTakes

13 Okt. 2002
Turkey/Ankara
Website besuchen
lol

i think next time you want to stay in Hilton Resident...
:)

But you are right about the language...
Germans are realy strick about not giving info english...
But don't blame the organizers it's german tradition...

7 Aug. 2002
Glasgow
Website besuchen
Some additions:

Candlemass didn't anounce they were playing in London before I bought tickets to Wacken + I was thinking about some other bands as well as traveling + I couldn't compromise to any other venue due to my examination dates.

MR. 'cocksucker' would be pleased to know that I am familiar with his small talking type. The things you do for fun, huh? Wacken must have been a paradise comparing to those places you have been scraping shit from.
I scraped shit from walls myself and toilets to earn money enough to see candlemass live. Though I wouldn't mention it, if all had been alright.

Rosk

30 Mai 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
Originally posted by BEARER of PAIN
Some additions:

Candlemass didn't anounce they were playing in London before I bought tickets to Wacken + I was thinking about some other bands as well as traveling + I couldn't compromise to any other venue due to my examination dates.

Just as a fiendly advise (you know you don't have to take it):

Don't look at things in that negative way, you had your trip, other bands and if you're in a good mood Wacken is a good place to have good time..... And if you didn't, don't waste too much energy shit/talking about Wacken at a Wacken lover's forum, is really useless, that won't restore your working hours, money or Candlemass gig. You're just gonna receive some insulting comments...
Well enough preaching... A happy note for you...

The reunited classic line-up of CANDLEMASS — vocalist Messiah Marcolin, bassist/founder Leif Edling, guitarist Mats "Mappe" Björkman, lead guitarist Lars Johansson and drummer Jan Lindh — will issue their first-ever DVD, titled Candlemass Documents Of Doom, on November 25th through Escapi UK.

Warthog

W:O:A Metalmaster
29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us
Again, maybe my expectations are lower than most people's. But for the US$1400 or so that I spent, I got one of the greatest experiences of my life.

That's besides the point though. I'm sure some of the Aussies, Asians, and South Americans spent at least that much on airfare alone. And I doubt any of them would say it wasn't worth it.

But if there exists in Europe (or anywhere) a perfect metal festival, one where ALL the bands take the stage at their exact scheduled times, where there's a flushing toilet for each festivalgoer with a seat so you clean you could lick it, where the sleeping area is clean and sterile to medical standards, where there is no mud, crowds, bad weather, etc., and where every staff member is as bubbly and friendly as a five star hotel clerk...let me know, and I'll buy my ticket right now.

It's a rock festival. There will be mud. There will be excrement. There will be running order changes. These things are inevitable. You either love it anyway...or you stay home.

For my money, I'll be back next year.

PS - As far as language, I had no problem finding helpful Germans who spoke excellent English. It never hurts to be social and talk to people.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
7 Aug. 2002
Glasgow
Website besuchen
I thank your advice, Rosk.
I don't expect to get anything back from Wacken or from the people who use this forum. But think of it as just one of the many ways that I can exchange my thoughts with other guys who went there. Not that it is much help, but you can imagine how pissed off someone must be after missing a special gig, specially going there at his own expense.
I had a great time watching some other bands! And the atmosphere was great.
I only deeply regret that after such a screw up, most of the 'metalheads' just let the organisation get away with it, even the ones who were directly affected. I am not surprised that WOA still doesn't have sponsorship, and it should make many around the world think twice. I am sure some bands will...
I hope you have fun next year and I also hope no one misses anything they want to see. But, I guess that will mean a monstruous amount of effort for the organisation to endure (to find time and funds to disclose decent information for the public on their busy busy worried lives).
For the people coming overseas: you really have to set your mind on finding a good reason to criticise. You hardly ever get to see most of the bands playing in such festivals. I don't blame you. If I had to spend the money you spent to come to Wacken I'd really have to think of all the fun it would be to come to a new continent, meet people from all over coming to see many of the greatest heavy metal bands. I wouldn't really be having a hard time after losing just one band, considering all the other experiences...
But each person speaks for him/herself! And I have the right not to praise WOA's deeds!