New to the Forum

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

lifesadream

W:O:A Metalhead
14 Nov. 2007
Atlanta,GA
Hey Everyone,
I am planning on attending my first Wacken Fest in 2008. Originally We were planning on staying in a Hotel in Hamburg and taking that shuttle Bus from Remedy Records. We really dont want to spend all that time in a tent so we are going to rent a camper in Hamburg. Do a lot of people rent them or is it mostly tent camping. I am really excited about going to Wacken and going to Europe for the first time.

LXE

17 Juni 2003
Mpls. MN USA
LXE.US
Hi.
Welcome.
If you're planning on renting a camper you best reserve NOW. That's THE peak travel time and you won't get one if you wait. Also be aware there's no plug in, so you may want to also rent a generator.
There are a good number of RVs there, but most people tent camp.

agresionpower

W:O:A Metalgod
22 Juni 2005
Almere, Holland
Hi.
Welcome.
If you're planning on renting a camper you best reserve NOW. That's THE peak travel time and you won't get one if you wait. Also be aware there's no plug in, so you may want to also rent a generator.
There are a good number of RVs there, but most people tent camp.

I agree.
and yes generators are allowed :)

lifesadream

14 Nov. 2007
Atlanta,GA
Thanks for the welcome. I emailed a few camper companies and since it is Peak season its a rental for a minimum of 14 days. I would do the camping in a tent but my wife isnt into it. the bathroom thing and all especially since it is our first she is uneasy about doing the tent camping.

lifesadream

14 Nov. 2007
Atlanta,GA
Actually landing in Frankfurt then was planning to take the train up to Hamburg. Staying in Germany a total of 8 days. I guess I can keep trying to talk her into tent camping:D Other then that I have been looking for hotels close without much luck. Thanks for all the help though. I am glad I am planning early enough for my first Wacken.

LXE

17 Juni 2003
Mpls. MN USA
LXE.US
Yeah, finding a hotel is a BITCH!
Itzhoe may be close, but it's not always easy to get to when you want to (unless you want to spen $70 a day on taxies.
I would plan on camping, then checking wacken (and Gribholm, or whatever the neighboring towns are called) for a "zimmer frei" on your way in adn try to get lucky.

The pay crappers aren't too bad. They flush and there are plenty of sinks and asswipe (of course the TP is about as smooth and soft as Lemmy's voice, so tell her to bring so charmine and she's golden). It's much better than a lot of camp potty situations.

On a related note. Don't put your tent by a fence.

lifesadream

14 Nov. 2007
Atlanta,GA
Tried a few hotels but the ones more popular are booked up already and ones available are really too far. I hate traveling far late at night when i am drunk and tired. Kind of got her thinking of tent camping now so I think we might go that way afterall. Will buy tent gear in Hamburg and then I guess just toss it. If anyone knows any good camping stores in Hamburg or closer that would be really cool.
Did I read it wrong or do you have to pay for to use the toliets?

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Tried a few hotels but the ones more popular are booked up already and ones available are really too far. I hate traveling far late at night when i am drunk and tired. Kind of got her thinking of tent camping now so I think we might go that way afterall. Will buy tent gear in Hamburg and then I guess just toss it. If anyone knows any good camping stores in Hamburg or closer that would be really cool.

Depends on where the toilets are.

If it's a so called "Dixi", it's for free. If it is near the shower camp, you pay €0.50 per use!

gnoff

W:O:A Metalmaster
9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden

There's a thread somewhere about purchasing tents.

Port-a-potties are free, more or less disgusting.

Pay toilets with running water, more or less guaranteed to be clean and have paper, you pay half a euro.

Bring your own TP, you won't regret it.

Edit:

Did a small search, take a look here for tent issues:

http://forum.wacken.com/showthread.php?t=110485
http://forum.wacken.com/showthread.php?t=114110
http://forum.wacken.com/showthread.php?t=114113
http://forum.wacken.com/showthread.php?t=115329
http://forum.wacken.com/showthread.php?t=115377
http://forum.wacken.com/showthread.php?t=115738
http://forum.wacken.com/showthread.php?t=117655

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Kate McGee

W:O:A Metalgod
13 Aug. 2002
Kronach
franconianpsycho.blogspot.com
I don't find there's a big difference between the portable toilets and the flushed ones any more. Nowadays. Except if you are unlucky and get a portable one that's almost full or that someone puked onto. But the flushed ones are not always that clean, although they do smell less.

Ah, and never forget: The flushed toilets on the actual festival area are totally free! So if you want to save money you can try to get along with the portable ones at the campground until the festival area is opened and then use the free flushed ones there.
But avoid the portable toilets close to the main "roads" leading to the festival area - everyone is using them so they are always full.

bumpzilla

im going to camp all the way, camping is so much fun. the last 3 day music festival i went to was in 2001, and the campsite was pretty much party centeral, i am going to buy a cheap tent and bring a cheap sleeping bag, i probably wont use it, but it is good to have a pillow near hand. i woke up a few times with a stiff neck and that sucked, although looking at the bands helped bring the kinks out. i am wasted and i think i could go on for days, but camping is the hardcore way to do it nowadays. the three day festival i went to was Xfest in a small place in wisconsin. saw godhead, clutch, staind, system of a down (this was before their second cd came out, and they played pretty much all of the second cd, they sang all the songs i wanted) and a few more bands. it was a good time. that was the most drinking i did in three days ever. i think i could have been dead a few times if my brother havent woke me up to puff on a pipe before we went to the concert. i think it was in somerset wisconsin i do believe, and it was in may i think, that was the best three days ever. sorry for being so drunk guys. but damn work kicked my ass and beer is the best way to make the shit go away.