Getting by and traveling in Germany...

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

KillerRiffs

3 März 2002
Connecticut, USA
www.geomancer.cjb.net
hello there...
my friend and I will be traveling from America to Wacken this year and are looking forward to spending 10 days or so having a blast in Germany! I have been TRYING to learn some Deutsch so we are not completely lost and clueless in Germany, but I'm guessing that Wacken will have many English speakers. But, I'm wondering about other parts of Germany. We plan to visit Frankfurt, Bad Wimpfen, Hamburg, Dusseldorf, and other places, too, and I am wondering as to how hard it will be for us to get by on a crude knowledge of the Deutsch language. I'm going to try to learn as much as I can before I leave, but I haven't had a lot of experience yet. Will two American kids who can speak a little Deutsch be okay for 10 days?
I'm also wondering if anyone has any suggested places/events that we should visit. We will be in Deutschland from around 23 July to 4 August. And we don't have any obligations except Wacken, so we're interested in having a lot of fun and seeing a lot of cool things! Any suggestions??!
thanks a lot!!!
Pat

schneeWITCHen

W:O:A Metalhead
24 Nov. 2001
East of the Rhine
you gotta visit the ROXY club in essen one saturday, it's a very cool metal disco :D

normally most (young) germans speak good english, so you won't have big problems

KillerRiffs

3 März 2002
Connecticut, USA
www.geomancer.cjb.net
um....

I have a Fodor's phrasebook and tapes that I'm using to help learn Deutsch, as well as many online lessons, etc.
What about any rad castles or medieval festivals or other cool events??? Do people know of anything like that worth checking out, or just some certain cool towns/cities??
thanks...
pat

aborted

21 Feb. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
if you wanna go to another festival and also have the opportunity of a cool countryside around you have to go to the party-san. thats the week-end after the wacken open air. its in thürigen (thuringia) ex-eastgermany. extremely cool (young) party people, friendlier (older) people than in west germany. and as the bands don´t start till middle/late after noon you can check out loads of the local castles and stuff...
have a look at www.party-san.de

Brat

26 Feb. 2002
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
I've read about a medieval festival in Heidelberg just after Wacken but I can't seem to find anymore information about it :/

I think last time I went to the castle internet site is crashed my computer *bloody netscape*

scareall

2 März 2002
scotland
Website besuchen
Myself and my family will be going to Party-San also,i would appreciate very much if anyone could give me information on train routes/prices from Erfurt to Hamburg as it seems to be quite expensive at €200 . also i was not aware that Bad Berka has castles is there a web-site where i can see pics of this place?

Brat

26 Feb. 2002
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
The German tourism board has a wesbite (sorry don't have it with me and I lost it a couple of months back when my hard drive died) and it has links to almost all the castles in Germany (at least ones open to the public).

For english timetables etc for trains in Germany
http://www.bahn.de/pv/uebersicht/die_bahn_international_guests.shtml

This site is awesome, but I haven't found prices. Maybe you can email them with your question.

scareall

2 März 2002
scotland
Website besuchen
Thanks Brat, i was sent an e-mail from a friend in germany regarding travel and cheaper prices apparently you can buy a weekend ticket for use on the slower trains(not IC or ICE) that costs €28 (a lot cheaper than €200) and you can travel all over germany. is this right,or have i been given the wrong information?

xpet

25 Jan. 2002
Hamburg
Hi Scareall,
that info is right. And maybe it´s really interesting to travel with slow trains through Germany. But - that trains are very very slow and you´ll have to change them very often. So you should plan your route very thoroughly before if you don´t want to get lost at a lonely train station out there in the nowhere! ;) Also check before from when to when this ticket is valid exactly.