Fleas & Ticks?!?

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.
L

Lord Soth

Most likely you'll only encounter this tick here. :D

Of other parasites than flies, horseflies, moshquitos, or small (and in Germany harmless) spiders I've never heard of in ten years. So there's no need to be really afraid or running around in diving suits'n stuff. ;)

Solskinn Av Natten

W:O:A Metalhead
28 März 2008
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Most likely you'll only encounter this tick here. :D

Of other parasites than flies, horseflies, moshquitos, or small (and in Germany harmless) spiders I've never heard of in ten years. So there's no need to be really afraid or running around in diving suits'n stuff. ;)

I'm not scared of him! :D

Really, no other insects bother me but cockroaches, which are horrible & disgusting, and insects that could possibly bring me diseases. It says about the tick that "tick-borne meningoencephalitis is a common viral infection in some parts of Europe," but it doesn't say WHICH parts of Europe specifically.

Hopefully not northern Germany :p

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

cwes

6 Mai 2007
I just looked it up on Wikipedia. Thanks, this is pretty interesting stuff that I've never heard before:
You'll be able to purchase DEET at any pharmacy in Hamburg. Most likely they'll sell you AUTAN. It uses some substitute similiar to DEET causing less skin irritations.

Ask specifically for protection against ticks (there are specialized products). This will lead to the products with the highest concentrations of DEET (or the substitute). However, expect noticeable skin irritations should you apply it all the time at the neccessary itervals.

cwes

6 Mai 2007
t says about the tick that "tick-borne meningoencephalitis is a common viral infection in some parts of Europe," but it doesn't say WHICH parts of Europe specifically.

You are as safe from that shit as you can get in Germany. It is very unlikely to be infected. Best protection is (in descending order)
  1. not to catch a tick
  2. to catch it before it bites (let your friend check you for ticks and vice versa)
  3. to remove it asap after being bitten

Sipyloidea

W:O:A Metalgod
19 März 2007
Ugh :eek: That is a very unpleasant-looking photo!

I don't think I've ever had a tick bite me, and I don't want to find out. But I'll probably be wearing shorts, or a skirt, if it's hot (tall boots though, as well). Does ins ect repellent work on ticks? I should hope so...
most repellents don't work. Don't think about it too much, you'll be ok ;)
Sipy, you obviously did not see where I camped in 2006...

the grass came to my ankles, and there was a big cow pie underneath our tent (thanks dad, for that bubble wrap as extra layer)
no, didn't know that :D
And THIS is how small they are. They also jump! Ick! :eek:
They get bigger when they sucked blood :p I've had three ticks in my life so far and I found all of them after they had just bitten me.
I'm not scared of him! :D

Really, no other insects bother me but cockroaches, which are horrible & disgusting, and insects that could possibly bring me diseases. It says about the tick that "tick-borne meningoencephalitis is a common viral infection in some parts of Europe," but it doesn't say WHICH parts of Europe specifically.

As said before: If you would be bitten by a tick, you wanted it to happen in northern germany. They're really harmless around here.
here.
see this

mental_mercury

W:O:A Metalmaster
18 Juni 2007
Marburg, Hessen
most repellents don't work. Don't think about it too much, you'll be ok ;)

no, didn't know that :D

They get bigger when they sucked blood :p I've had three ticks in my life so far and I found all of them after they had just bitten me.

As said before: If you would be bitten by a tick, you wanted it to happen in northern germany. They're really harmless around here.
here.
see this

I had my first one in my life a few weeks ago, right in the top of my head :eek:. Never using my dog as a pillow again...

gnoff

W:O:A Metalmaster
9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden

In southern Sweden it's getting increasingly common with infected ticks.

Luckily I rarely walk in tall grass while not having long pants on ;)

WhiskeyFist666

31 Jan. 2008
Los Angeles
Thank's everyone for clarifying the parasite situation at Wacken. I guess you could say that I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. I'm not so worried any more.:D

slayerofrage

26 Juli 2006
Stockport
www.isitbeeroclock.com
Thank's everyone for clarifying the parasite situation at Wacken. I guess you could say that I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. I'm not so worried any more.:D

There is one major parasite at wacken...

Canus Metlus Headus

Harmless, lives of beer, which it has saved many monies for.. tends to get loud and partyminded and only dangerous in moshpits!!

DaveIoC

3 Juli 2006
Bristol, UK
www.myspace.com
To remove a tick, DO NOT just pull it out with tweezers! The head buries under the skin and you'll just pull the body off leaving the head in your leg which will then get infected etc.

You should apply heat to it first (such as a hot match head, blow it out first) which should make it let go... then quickly pull it out with tweezers.

But that all said I've never had any ticks at Wacken. The foliage really isn't that deep. It's all short grass which is more like straw (or mud) after a couple of days in the sun or rain.

cwes

6 Mai 2007
To remove a tick, DO NOT just pull it out with tweezers! The head buries under the skin and you'll just pull the body off leaving the head in your leg which will then get infected etc.

You should apply heat to it first (such as a hot match head, blow it out first) which should make it let go... then quickly pull it out with tweezers.

But that all said I've never had any ticks at Wacken. The foliage really isn't that deep. It's all short grass which is more like straw (or mud) after a couple of days in the sun or rain.

You sir, obviously haven't read any newer recommendations from people with some education in that field. I'm talking of the guys with those university degrees in medicine.

[ ] DaveIoC gives good advice.
[x] I'm Going to Wacken in a few days.