First Timer

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.
21 Feb. 2020
So this will be my first year attending Wacken and I will likely be going alone. I am planning on spending a few days in Berlin prior to going to the festival and I just have a few questions.

1. It says the campground opens on Monday July 27th. I wasn't thinking of going until the 29th, but is there any reason I would want to go sooner or does not much happen before the actual festival start? What would I be missing out on if anything?

2. I'm coming from Canada and want to travel as light as possible. I see that there is an option for tent rental, but this seems somewhat expensive. 264,89 € for basic. I was thinking of maybe picking up a cheap tent and sleeping bag in Berlin instead if anyone has any recommendations? Or is the tent rental worth the convenience?

3. I haven't been able to find any info about lockers. Are these available to rent? I'm a little worried about theft, mostly because of my passport.

4. I don't want to rent a car, to go to the festival, so is the shuttle the best option? When I look at the website it looks like there is only one shuttle leaving on the 28th and one on the 29th? So if I do take the shuttle does that mean I should book a ticket immediately or do they add more based on demand?

5. I understand there are markets in Wacken where I can buy beer. Are these relatively convenient to get to? Or should I bring as much beer with me as possible?

6. Are the bathrooms all porta potties?

I think I am okay with everything else, but if anyone has any other helpful tips or suggestions please feel free to share. Any help is greatly appreciated. Danke!

neo-one

W:O:A Metalhead
12 Feb. 2007
Berlin
So this will be my first year attending Wacken and I will likely be going alone. I am planning on spending a few days in Berlin prior to going to the festival and I just have a few questions.

1. It says the campground opens on Monday July 27th. I wasn't thinking of going until the 29th, but is there any reason I would want to go sooner or does not much happen before the actual festival start? What would I be missing out on if anything?

There is a lot of party going on on the campground, the first bands play on wednsday.

2. I'm coming from Canada and want to travel as light as possible. I see that there is an option for tent rental, but this seems somewhat expensive. 264,89 € for basic. I was thinking of maybe picking up a cheap tent and sleeping bag in Berlin instead if anyone has any recommendations? Or is the tent rental worth the convenience?

You can buy cheap tents in berlin or hamburg ("decathlon" is a cheap store for camping supplies).
There should also be the possibility of buying very basic tents at the campground (kaufland) or in the village (but these are most likely VERY BASIC tents that might not be 100% waterproof while costing as much or even more then the stuff you'll get a a real store in berlin

3. I haven't been able to find any info about lockers. Are these available to rent? I'm a little worried about theft, mostly because of my passport.

There are rentable lockers near the infield that also provide opportunities to charge electronics. (if i remember correctly, there are multiple providers.)

4. I don't want to rent a car, to go to the festival, so is the shuttle the best option? When I look at the website it looks like there is only one shuttle leaving on the 28th and one on the 29th? So if I do take the shuttle does that mean I should book a ticket immediately or do they add more based on demand?

I'm not sure if the timetables are already published, but there should be option on monday too. Either take a train Berlin->Hamburg->Itzehoe and a shuttlebus afterwards or use a bus ride from berlin directly (no transportation problem with tents etc)

5. I understand there are markets in Wacken where I can buy beer. Are these relatively convenient to get to? Or should I bring as much beer with me as possible?

If you travel by train or bus, just take what you'll need for the ride and maybe a "I'm here-drink". everything else you can buy at the kaufland I've linked for pretty much the same prices as every other store in germany (0,5 liters of beer for ~ 1 €) If you want to drink any fancy stuff, bring a bit, alst year they only offered 2 or 3 different beers (worst case, take a walk to the village if becks is not your stuff)

6. Are the bathrooms all porta potties?

there are flush toilets near the showers and near the stages (I recommend the ones near the stages in the morning if you are not camoing that far, they are less frequented earlier in the day)

I think I am okay with everything else, but if anyone has any other helpful tips or suggestions please feel free to share. Any help is greatly appreciated. Danke!

prepare for the weather in northern germany. we've had years with knee deep mud and cold nights as well as years with a lot of sun and heat.

Reaktionen: perfectmansions

Nergal1444

16 Sep. 2016
Or is the tent rental worth the convenience?

The rental tents are near to the main festival site (and the Kaufland store). The campground is rather big, you could end up quite far away from the main site. For me, that is a real bonus with the rented tents. And you don't have to set up your tent in the dark or rain - the last two times I went to Wacken I drove up after work and arrived rather late, having a tent ready was quite convinient for me.

https://safeboxen.de/?lang=en

Reaktionen: perfectmansions

neo-one

12 Feb. 2007
Berlin
The rental tents are near to the main festival site (and the Kaufland store). The campground is rather big, you could end up quite far away from the main site. For me, that is a real bonus with the rented tents. And you don't have to set up your tent in the dark or rain - the last two times I went to Wacken I drove up after work and arrived rather late, having a tent ready was quite convinient for me.

If you arrive without a car you can set your own tent quite near the stage area