Driving every day to the festival?

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

soberguy

22 Apr. 2019
Long story short, camping is not an option - I plan on driving every day to the festival grounds and sleeping in one of the surrounding villages. I was eager to get a Moshtel room, but their booking service's gone mad, and I don't know will it ever be available.

So, sit in a car, drive to the ground during the day, park (do I need a special ticket for this?), drive back in the middle of the night (not sure when the bands stop playing?), sleep, repeat.

What do you guys think, is it possible? Will I torture myself too much with it?

First time visitor!

D

Deleted member 225512

Hi soberguy,

It may be possible to drive to your hotel or appartment or whatever you get for the nite and return early in the afternoon, and there are also parking lots for dayly parking.

But: The bands stop at about 1 am, and you maybe have to walk to your car 30 mins, maybe more..
The worst thing will be: Where u stay? I guess all villages around Wacken are full. Maybe Itzehoe (20 km from Wacken)? A short hotel check for Itzehoe indicated that all hotel are full there too...

And Hamburg will be too far ... but has free rooms ...

And about the Moshtel ... theyre surely full now ..

soberguy

22 Apr. 2019
Hey man, thank you for your reply!

There are still some available places in villages around, not very close though, about 40min away. It's not ideal, but it's closer than Hamburg.
I made a mistake waiting for Moshtel bookings to open without booking any alternative, but I guess that's the price you pay for being a newbie :)

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Try up north direction Heide! But I reckon it'll be without guarantee as well! It's more direction Denmark, instead of Hamburg. But... as I said, without any guarantee, if anything available!

DonRocario

9 Juli 2018
I did this at my first W:O:A two years ago and will never do it again!

You won't Need a Special ticket for the day-parking sites. But you will have to walk quite a bit.
On the first night my car got stuck on the day-parking area because of the weather and it had to be towed. Of Course this could happen on the campsite also, but then you can stay there til the end.

Last year I camped and it was much more fun and much less stressful. I'm usually not a fan of Camping, but it is much better than to drive every night. I will camp again this year.

nerdsatwork

23 Juli 2018
Have you ever thought about renting a camper and stay there? I do not know the reason for not staying on the ground but this could be a possibillity. Better then in a tent. Driving requires a lot of time you could spend better on the ground. And if you drive you are not allowed to drink alcohol at all.

Reaktionen: Quark

soberguy

22 Apr. 2019
A small update :) I booked a place in a village west od of Wacken, some 35min drive away. Not ideal, but I’ll manage it.
Not drinking alcohol won’t be an issue :) (hint: see my nickname).

My plan right now is to come to Wacken early during the day, hang out and hit concerts, and go back in the evening/night. I’ll probably be exhausted after a day or two, but I’ll adapt as it goes.

I already booked a car, but it can be cancelled, but I have no idea where/how to rent a camper nor how to drive it :) gonna google some options, if any available anymore.

ChrisirhC

12 Juli 2018
I already booked a car, but it can be cancelled, but I have no idea where/how to rent a camper nor how to drive it :) gonna google some options, if any available anymore.

Just search for "Wohnmobil Vermietung", that's German for camper rental. Most of the rental companies are rather small, so also the website is often only in German. For the moment I know only one big chain which is McRent.

Spartaner032

W:O:A Metalhead
23 Juni 2011
Bad Bevensen
Just search for "Wohnmobil Vermietung", that's German for camper rental. Most of the rental companies are rather small, so also the website is often only in German. For the moment I know only one big chain which is McRent.

Well, in many rentagreements there is a Phrase that forbits the usage of the rented Vehicle for a Festival...

acryd

W:O:A Metalhead
8 Aug. 2016
HH
A small update :) I booked a place in a village west od of Wacken, some 35min drive away. Not ideal, but I’ll manage it.

you can try them: https://www.ahoi-bullis.com/ they had also been some kind of promotor /sponsor last year and gave out 10 camper in some kind of lottery /rent thing on campground f, so at least they dont forbid to use those at a festival, they might be a bit pricey though