Ac/dc

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

black widow

W:O:A Metalhead
I have to make a folder about Australia for school so I had the idea of writing a boigraphy of AC/DC. Now I want you to ask if there are some strong mistakes and important missing facts.

The Australian group AC/DC virtually invented hard rock with its aggressive, confrontational sound, wild stage theatrics and rock 'n' roll lifestyle. Known for wearing private school uniforms on stage, AC/DC has weathered line-up changes, controversy over their image and lyrics, the tragic death of front man Bon Scott, and constantly changing musical trends to become one of the top international rock acts of the past quarter century. By the late 1990s, the group had sold more than 80 million albums worldwide.

AC/DC was formed in Sydney, Australia in late 1973 by guitarist brothers Malcolm and Angus Young; by early 1975, the band's membership stabilized with a line-up consisting of the Youngs, vocalist Bon Scott, bassist Mark Evans and drummer Phil Rudd. Under aegis of Georg Young and Harry Vanda, AC/DC signed a treaty to Albert Production label and issued the first single, “Can I Sit Next To You”. Now based out of Melbourne, AC/DC first gained nationwide attention with the release of their 1974 debut album, High Voltage. They consolidated their growing Australian following with 1976's TNT, the album that also won over their first European and American fans. Later that year Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap came out, and was supported with the group's first ever UK and European tours.

Following the release of 1977's hit, Let There Be Rock, AC/DC launched their first US tour, winning over fans throughout America with their energetic live shows. After interim UK tour in October, second leg of the US tour began. They opened concerts for Aerosmith, Styx and Blues Oyster Cull. After replacing Mark Evans with bassist Cliff Williams, the group returned with Aerosmith to support the release of 1978's Powerage. Also in 1978 came the live document If You Want Blood (You've Got It), which exposed the band's growing international following to the energy of their live performances. If You want Blood (You've Got It) is the final production with Vanda and Young and first commercial live LP, recorded in Glasgow on the Powerage tour.
Thanks to the group's constant touring, as well as radio played of the single "Highway to Hell". AC/DC's 1979 breakthrough release Highway to Hell reached the US Top 20 and UK Top 10, it also went gold in France and Canada. Tragically, just as the group seemed poised for stardom, front man Bon Scott died in London on February 19, 1980 after a night of heavy drinking, he choked to death on his own vomit.

Though things seemed grim, AC/DC elected to press on, bringing in ex-Geordie vocalist Brian Johnson in time to record 1980's Back in Black with Robert "Mutt" Lange. The album reached No. 1 in the UK and No. 3 in the US (where it sold more than 10 million copies), spawning the hit single "You Shook Me All Night Long" and prompting a re-release of Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap to enter the U.S. Top 10. “You Shook Me All Night Long” is AC/DC’s first simultaneous top 40 hit in US and UK as the world tour began in North America. The single spent 5 month in top 10, all together 131 weeks on the charts. Back in Black is their all-times best seller, certified 19-times platinum in US and over 30 more gold and platinum awards worldwide. Building on their momentum, AC/DC returned in 1981 with the ninth album For those about to Rock - We salute You, after which Phil Rudd was replaced by drummer Simon Wright. It’s the group’s first simultaneous same-day worldwide release.

In 1982, a 5-week North America itinerary is followed by the long-overdue break after five years of non-stop touring and recording. This break is only interrupted by four Japanese shows in June. It was the last time AC/DC has ever played there.
Flick of Switch is the first self-produced project and the first new released LP in 21 month. Following the release, AC/DC went through a period of hardship, with record sales declining and controversy following the group in the US, where the Religious Right condemned the rebellious group and called for a boycott of their albums.

In 1984, ‘74 Jailbreak, a 5-track EP, is issued in commemorate AC/DC’s “10th anniversary” with vintage 1975-76 Bon Scott-era previous unreleased songs in US from the original Australian versions of High Voltage and Dirty Deeds. In the US their label issued a different High Voltage, a “best of “first Australian LPs.

In 1985, a next climax in band’s history is headlining the “Rock in Rio” fest at Rock dome in Rio de Janeiro to a crowd of nearly 400,000 on a bill with Ozzy Osbourne, Scorpions, Whitesnake, and others. Fly on the Wall is the second self-produced project by Angus and Malcolm. The LP reached No. 7 in UK and No. 32 in US, and spends 30 weeks on the charts. In September 1985, amid storm of accusation the first major North America tour since 1983 began when Richard Rantirez “Night Stalker” controversy surrounded them. Because of this controversy, city officials in Springfield and Dallas tried to ban the AC/DC concerts; nevertheless, the tour is extended through November by popular demand. Then in January, the tour got over to UK and Europe.

Who made Who is released in 1986, a dba soundtrack for big-fan Stephen King’s Maximum Overdrive flick, revives six classic AC/DC tunes plus three tracks newly produced by Vanda and Young. The album reached No. 11 in UK and No. 33 in US where it charts for 42 weeks. In November the Who made Who long-form home video is released in US, certified gold.

In January 1988, the 13th album, Blow up your Video, is released in UK, Europe and US, and reaches No. 2 in UK and No. 12 in US, where it charts for 24 weeks, certified platinum. It marks the first full album reunion with Vanda and Young as producers. In February, the 16-date sold-out Australian tour, their first shows there in seven years, includes five concerts in Melbourne and six in Sydney. In May, they opened their 6-month sold-out North American tour. It’s a named one of year’s most successful tours by Performance magazine. On temporary leave for personal reasons, Malcolm is replaced on tour by nephew by Stevie Young.

In 1989, Simon Wright left AC/DC after six years and a half to join Dio and was replaced by drummer Chris Slade. The following year the group made a comeback with The Razor's Edge, produced by Bruce Fairbairn, who was responsible for Aerosmith's comeback. The Razor's Edge reached No. 2 in the U.S., earning a Grammy nomination for Best Hard Rock.

In November 1991, AC/DC’s year-long world tour ends after 153 shows with dates in Australia and Auckland, New Zealand, where the band never had played before. In December, the perfect Christmas gift was issued in Australia for their fans there: a box set with every AC/DC album.

In September 1992, the For Those about to Rock – Monsters in Moscow long-form video was released. It was a chronicle of “Rock around the Bloc” festival in September 1991, which was attended by to 1 million people and was cancelled by the Russian army. Brian Johnson, the lead singer, told the crowd during the gig: “Opera and ballet did not cut the ice in the Cold War years. They used to exchange opera and ballet companies and circuses, but it takes Rock ’n’ Roll to make no more Cold War.”

In October 1992, they released their fifteenth but first live album AC/DC Live simultaneously I separate formats: full-length 23-song double-CD “Special Collection Edition” and 14-songs single-CD “Edited”. The double-CD reaches No. 34 and charts for 14 weeks, the single-CD rises to No. 15 and charts for 48 weeks (Compare with Back in Black (5 month in US, charts 131 weeks)). The records were from the gigs at the “Monster for Rock” festival at Castle Donnington.

In summer 1994, Phil Rudd rejoined AC/DC after 11 years absence as the new album records began. In fall the Elektra Records label group reissued remastered versions of the first 10 albums, also, “Highway to Hell: The Life and Times of AC/DC Legend Bon Scott” was published in Australia.

1995's Ballbreaker, which featured the return of drummer Phil Rudd, debuted at No. 4 in the U.S. and sold millions of copies, demonstrating that after more than 20 years, AC/DC remains popular worldwide. Also in 1995, first Warner Music International bestowed an award to commemorate the worldwide sale of more than 80 million albums.

In November 1997, the 5-CD-boxed set Bonfire was released as a tribute to Bon Scott. The title he planned for his solo LP that he always intended to make. The set contained never-before heard gems from the 70’s, which are for the first time on CD. Furthermore included it live studio recordings, TV performances, audios from Let there be Rock home video, rare non-LP single B-sides, and entire remixed Back in Black album.

In March 1999, AC/DC received the Diamond Award for commemorating over 10 million sales of the album Back in Black. The lead singer Brian Johnson and the bassist Cliff Williams attended the ceremony in New York.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

black widow

In February 2000, Stiff upper Lip, the 17th album, is released in UK, Europe, Australia and North America. It reached No. 1 in Germany, Argentina, Austria, Finland and Sweden, “only” No. 7 in UK. In March, the first live TV appearance in 23 years took place in New York: “AC/DC@MTV” special (performing “Stiff upper Lip” and “Back in Black”) and NBC’s “Saturday Night Live” (“Stiff upper Lip” and “You shook me all Night long”). Then in September 2000, AC/DC was inducted into the Hollywood Rock Walk of Fame and, in a rare gesture, they showed up to have their hands imprinted in cement at the Guitar Centre on Hollywood Blvd. At next, the entire AC/DC catalogue (minus Stiff upper Lip) is reissued in Europe in card, sleeve, vinyl replica, and CD format.
In January 2001, with certified 19-times platinum for Back in Black AC/DC became one of the 10 best sellers ever in US. In marathon of 15 concerts that week, the US catalogue was updated so bringing AC/DC’s total US stats to an astonishing 63 million. This made them to ninth bestseller in US and the fifth best selling band after the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the Eagles.
In December 2002, AC/DC announced signing of a worldwide contract with Epic Records, a division of Sony Music. The deal is set in commence in early 2003, with a series of remastered and repackaged albums via Epic and Legacy Recordings, including a series of vinyl releases.

Sorry, but the text is too long for just one post!

Sodomy&Lust

W:O:A Metalmaster
13 Apr. 2002
Madrid - Spain
I think it's ok, but after writing about 1995's Ballbreaker you say something about things that happened before:

1995's Ballbreaker, which featured the return of drummer [.....]
In November 1991, AC/DC’s year-long world tour ends after [....]

I once heard a story which explained why Angus always wears a school uniform. I don't remember how it was, or where I read it, but I think it would be interesting.....

But as I said, I find it rather good :)

mugabe

7 Aug. 2002
Avesta, Sweden
www.kurtz.se
Originally posted by Sodomy&Lust
I once heard a story which explained why Angus always wears a school uniform. I don't remember how it was, or where I read it, but I think it would be interesting.....
In an interview, hew said he used to go to rehearsals straight from school, still wearing his uniform.

I was also under the impression that Malcolm started the band, and that Angus didn't join until later.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/nononsense/1973.htm has some more info on this.

black widow

I'm going to correct the mistakes and add the new nformation. Thnx

Yesterday I ate at BurgerKing and read an article about Mousse T.'s (he wrote Tom Jones' "SexBomb") plans doing something with AC/DC. Additional the text says the band is interesting inplaying with him.

But i've still a question:
Whats the "Night Stalker" controversy around Richard Rantirez?
Sorry, but i'm lazy! :rolleyes:

mugabe

7 Aug. 2002
Avesta, Sweden
www.kurtz.se
Originally posted by black widow
But i've still a question:
Whats the "Night Stalker" controversy around Richard Rantirez?
Sorry, but i'm lazy! :rolleyes:
Google is your friend:

During September 1985 a gruesome case of a murderer by the name of Richard Ramirez was responsible for a spate of killings around Los Angeles threw AC/DC into the dock. Nicknamed the Night Stalker, Richard Ramirez terrorised the american people with a string of gruesome crimes.

Richard Ramirez haunted the american public for some time before the police finally caught up with him. When the Police caught Rameriz they claimed that he was wearing a AC/DC T-shirt & had left a AC/DC hat the scene of one of his crimes. Friends of Richard Ramirez the night stalker told the press he was a big fan of the Highway to Hell album and that his favourite song was Night Prowler.

Needless to say AC/DC achieved some unwanted publicity due the court case and many parents campaigned to have AC/DC banned from playing in certain towns and called for their records to be banned.

PsychicVeteran

W:O:A Metalmaster
Originally posted by Kate McGee
PLEASE

write Blue Öyster Cult correctly

;)

Thanks, Kate :)

Don't know if 'private' school uniform is correct. School uniform
is compulsory in most schools (not just the private ones) in Australia as well as in the UK.

Weiss allerdings nicht, ob 'private' school uniform richtig ist. Schuluniform ist in den meisten (nicht nur in den privaten) Schulen in Australien sowie in Grossbritannien pflicht...

Zuletzt bearbeitet: