Newcomer with questions

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

hecatomblm

26 Apr. 2007
I'm from the US and this will be my first time at Wacken. Can anyone answer some simple questions?

1) When we pay for the full 3 days, does that include camping Sunday night? When do they kick people out?

2) Can we park right where we camp? (I mean, can I sleep in my rented car, right in the camping area, if I don't bring camping gear with me to Europe?)

3) Is it smart to drive in Germany only with a foreign driver's license, or do I need something like an international driver's permit (IDP)?

4) I ordered tickets from metaltix.com, but they don't ship them to the US, so I have to pick up the tickets at Wacken. Does anyone know where I pick them up, and what I have to show to get them (e.g. photo ID)?

Thanks \m/

-R4-

W:O:A Metalhead
26 März 2006
Italy, Rome
hi

1) not, you can camp till saturday night, you've to free the camp the sunday morning

2) you can park your car next to your tent, but if you dont want to camp in a tent, you can sleep directly in the (rented) car

3) dont know :D wait for another one to answer

4) im not sure but probably you have to go to the woa office (not so far from the festival) and i think that your photo id is enough :D

agresionpower

W:O:A Metalgod
22 Juni 2005
Almere, Holland
1) it does not but there are people who camp sunday night as well, don't know when they kick you off.

2) see -R4-s answer

3) sorry can't help you

4) WOA office, but I think it's also possible to get them at the supermarket in town.

gnoff

W:O:A Metalmaster
9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
3) Getting some sort of international license that you make sure is valid in Germany would be a good idea.

Try calling the German embassy and asking them if they know.

http://www.germany.info/relaunch/info/missions/embassy/embassy.html

In Sweden the organization sort of resembling your AAA issues the international license, try calling them and asking.

http://www.aaa.com/scripts/WebObjects.dll/ZipCode.woa/wa/route

When driving in Germany, be prepared for "staus" in traffic, i.e. huge stand still traffic jams that turns up out of nowhere.
You might be going in 160 kmh and suddenly need to brake to zero. Pay attention to people lighting their warning lights, then they've usualy seen a "stau" up ahead.

Aussie Odin

29 Juni 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I'm from Australia and rented a camper van in Germany to go to Wacken in 2005 - when I picked up the van the van bloke asked for my IDP, as well as my Aussie driver's licence. Fortunately I had an IDP so there were no hassles.

We're hiring a camper van again for Wacken '07 and our drivers are getting IDPs to avoid any probs.

So I'd recommend that you get an IDP - they should be easy to get (just go through your auto club) and are pretty cheap - it's a small price to pay to avoid problems if you front up to collect your rent-a-car without an IDP and they tell you to bugger off....

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
I'm from Australia and rented a camper van in Germany to go to Wacken in 2005 - when I picked up the van the van bloke asked for my IDP, as well as my Aussie driver's licence. Fortunately I had an IDP so there were no hassles.

We're hiring a camper van again for Wacken '07 and our drivers are getting IDPs to avoid any probs.

So I'd recommend that you get an IDP - they should be easy to get (just go through your auto club) and are pretty cheap - it's a small price to pay to avoid problems if you front up to collect your rent-a-car without an IDP and they tell you to bugger off....

But don't forget, minimum age for an IDP for Germany (and the rest of Europe) is 18, and not 16 like in the US!!!!!

hecatomblm

26 Apr. 2007
another question

Thanks for the replies!

Another question: are there ATMs at the festival site? It would prefer to get cash occasionally from an ATM than to show up with 3 days worth of cash in my pockets.

Sam Przyborowski

W:O:A Metalhead
2 Apr. 2005
Coventry
Theres an ATM in the village a few minutes walk away. Of course there can be big queues during the peak periods so its best to go at some stupid time in the morning..

Kate McGee

W:O:A Metalgod
13 Aug. 2002
Kronach
franconianpsycho.blogspot.com
Theres an ATM in the village a few minutes walk away. Of course there can be big queues during the peak periods so its best to go at some stupid time in the morning..

That's true, but this year they are going to have three ATMs directly on the festival grounds as well :) it was in the German news section only.
So you can choose which queue to wait in :D perhaps the queue inside the village is not as long...if you're lucky. ;)

gnoff

W:O:A Metalmaster
9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Thanks for the replies!

Another question: are there ATMs at the festival site? It would prefer to get cash occasionally from an ATM than to show up with 3 days worth of cash in my pockets.

well...

"occasionally" might be sort of a bad idea.

I used the ATM once my first year, and there are good reasons why it never happened again.

First it does take a while to walk to the village, then they have two ATMs if I remember correctly.

I stood in line in blazing sun for about 4 hours to get cash, missed all but 2 songs of Immortal that I really wanted to see.

So now I just bring all the cash I think aI'll need, plus some more.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien

RowdyRaptor

26 Juli 2010
Heidelberg
I agree, don't count on the ATMs at Wacken. Carry a bunch of cash on you, be prepared, have an emergency fund, and for crap's sake a zipper or button on your pocket, or be a nerd and wear a moneybelt. ;)

GET AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVER's LICENSE. It's just a translation of your American license, but it is vital. I got mine through AAA. Your insurance provider might be more helpful and simpler than calling the embassy.