Gluten allergy at Wacken

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

ThunderZtorm

10 Aug. 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi all,

Hope some veterans with good memories can remember this, as I've been searching for some actual facts on this for a while.

Our group will have a gluten allergic/intolerant person with us this year (my girlfriend, hence my interest), meaning that she cannot drink beer. Obviously, she would still prefer being somewhat drunk like the rest of the gang, so here's my questions with this in mind:

1. The wacken mead - I'm pretty sure that's the honey-based wine, which means that should be good. Anybody know if there's wheat, barley or rye in for sure though? I haven't been able to find a full description of it online.

2. I see the plan over the holy wacken land says all the bars are "beer/met/cocktail" - what exactly do they mean with cocktails? Are we talking stuff like rum&coke and vodka&juice and whatnot or? I never paid attention to that stuff last year as I was happy just drinking beer all week :p

3. I guess cider can be bought outside the festival area (Legendary Edeka, or, if need be in Hamburg before we head out), but can anyone remember what you can actually get of that sorta stuff in Germany these days?

I'm pretty sure the food won't be a major issue as she can always get the steak sandwiches and dump the buns and stuff like that, but I do worry a bit about the alcohol :)

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Hi all,

Hope some veterans with good memories can remember this, as I've been searching for some actual facts on this for a while.

Our group will have a gluten allergic/intolerant person with us this year (my girlfriend, hence my interest), meaning that she cannot drink beer. Obviously, she would still prefer being somewhat drunk like the rest of the gang, so here's my questions with this in mind:

1. The wacken mead - I'm pretty sure that's the honey-based wine, which means that should be good. Anybody know if there's wheat, barley or rye in for sure though? I haven't been able to find a full description of it online.

2. I see the plan over the holy wacken land says all the bars are "beer/met/cocktail" - what exactly do they mean with cocktails? Are we talking stuff like rum&coke and vodka&juice and whatnot or? I never paid attention to that stuff last year as I was happy just drinking beer all week :p

3. I guess cider can be bought outside the festival area (Legendary Edeka, or, if need be in Hamburg before we head out), but can anyone remember what you can actually get of that sorta stuff in Germany these days?

I'm pretty sure the food won't be a major issue as she can always get the steak sandwiches and dump the buns and stuff like that, but I do worry a bit about the alcohol :)

Tja...

The drinks... I reckon no one knows the contents of the drinks at the Wacken area itself.
Best solution, take your own, and if you're up field (festival area), stick to water. (or other soft drniks) You can always get drunk at the camp site. (where you can bring your own drinks, as much as you want)

Reaktionen: Skargon89

ThunderZtorm

10 Aug. 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Tja...

The drinks... I reckon no one knows the contents of the drinks at the Wacken area itself.
Best solution, take your own, and if you're up field (festival area), stick to water. (or other soft drniks) You can always get drunk at the camp site. (where you can bring your own drinks, as much as you want)

Well, it's not that hard to avoid gluten in drinks. Basically, beer is the only drink with gluten usually. Ciders, alcohols like rum and vodka and whatnot generally are not made off wheat, barley or rye - it's not normally a problem in Ireland as cider is pretty big over here.

Big question for me is what does Wacken mean when they say "cocktails" :)

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Well, it's not that hard to avoid gluten in drinks. Basically, beer is the only drink with gluten usually. Ciders, alcohols like rum and vodka and whatnot generally are not made off wheat, barley or rye - it's not normally a problem in Ireland as cider is pretty big over here.

Big question for me is what does Wacken mean when they say "cocktails" :)

Mixed drinks. Can go from cola beer to I-don't-know.

Zachia

W:O:A Metalmaster
8 Mai 2012
Wäre nett wenn jemand der gut englisch schreibt uebersetzen koennte...
Met besteht aus Honig und Wasser evt sind zur Gaerung Hefen beigesetzt.Billiger Meter besteht ,manchmal auch aus mit Honig verkochten Wein. zur Aromatisierung werden Kräuter und Fruechte verwendet. Das wird aber deklariert.
sollte also kein Problem geben.

Essen: Die ganzen China-Staende sollten glutefreies Essen haben....sonst halt Fleisch ohne Beilage..:ugly:

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Wäre nett wenn jemand der gut englisch schreibt uebersetzen koennte...
Met besteht aus Honig und Wasser evt sind zur Gaerung Hefen beigesetzt.Billiger Meter besteht ,manchmal auch aus mit Honig verkochten Wein. zur Aromatisierung werden Kräuter und Fruechte verwendet. Das wird aber deklariert.
sollte also kein Problem geben.

Essen: Die ganzen China-Staende sollten glutefreies Essen haben....sonst halt Fleisch ohne Beilage..:ugly:

Mead consists of honey and water, eventually with yeast for fermentation.
Cheaper meads may sometimes consist of wine, boiled in honey. For taste some herbs and fruits are added. It must however be announced on the etiket.

Food: The china bar should have gluten free food. Otherwise meat, without bread etc. :ugly:

(the German text translated)

4 Nov. 2009
gluten free food / drinks

Hi ThundeZtorm,

First of all it should be no problem to buy gluten free bread at the local EDEKA in Wacken. Regarding the drinks and coctails you should take care. Coctails are based on tast specific base liquid filled up with juice. The beer we sell is not gluten free.
Have a good time at Wacken 2012:KO:

BR
Bierfachverkäufer

jarno

27 Apr. 2023
I noticed this thread is a bit old. Been to Wacken several times, but this year has to go with Coeliacs. Any experiences, ideas, or hints for food or campground survival? :)

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Dieser Thread kommt aus dem ENGLISCHEN Talk. Ist hier verschoben, auch wenn er aus 2012 ist.

This thread came from the ENGLISH Talk. It's been removed here, despite it being from 2012

Neraluna

3 Mai 2023
I noticed this thread is a bit old. Been to Wacken several times, but this year has to go with Coeliacs. Any experiences, ideas, or hints for food or campground survival? :)
Dear Jarno,

If been in Wacken also several times. Since 2017 my wife also is on the holy ground and she is a Coeliac too.
It is no problem at Wacken 😎

There is a family in the town and their children also are Coeliacs. So they made Gluten Free Food for the visitors :).
(see the link above).

Further they could be found on the metal market in the festival area in front of the entries to the infield, with gluten free meals.

For the camp ground we bring e.g gluten free bread from home and some more gluten free food and we cook there.

Of course she also would like to drink beer on the camp ground.
It is possible to buy glutenfree beer in cans, with a bit search on the internet you should find shops who are seeling this.

In front of the stages she drink whiskey or other cocktails.
All in all we never had problems :cheers:

If you need more detailed information, feel free to DM me!

Reaktionen: jarno

jarno

27 Apr. 2023
Sounds good! I'm not too worried about drink-wise. I'm arriving with a bus & backpack combo and must carry whatever I take. That limits the amount and type of food I can bring in. I'm a hiker, too, and have a lightweight stove for cooking - not a problem. If Metal Markt has these 450g/810ml gas bottles for sale, it would save some space in the backpack.

I've never really taken my own food to Wacken, as local food is delicious. This gluten issue just dropped in, so I need to rethink a lot.

Thanks for the tips!

Nergal1444

W:O:A Metalhead
16 Sep. 2016
I am gluten sensitive, and my son is severly allergic to gluten and cowsmilk and also lactose intolerant - a really great combination. We had our own grill, and bought food at the farmers market. There was enough food available even for his combination of allergies. The Wacken Met is gluten free and a great subsitute for beer. On the holy ground was a curry/indian food stall with gluten and milk-free food. So yes, it is absolutly possible to stay gluten free at Wacken even without going to the village. In the village is also an Edeka store for even more options - gluten-free bread from Schär is avaible in every Edeka I haven been to, and lots more.

I would advise to take a look at the Wacken homepage for any information on this years food supply when it is available, and I would take some food for the first night and day - it can take quite a while to get on the campsite and settle in, this way you do not have to worry about food before you are set up.

Reaktionen: jarno