Camping question

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

anathoth

12 März 2007
Hail!

A friend and I are planning on making the mammoth journey from New Zealand to Wacken this year.
After reading the website we found out that you need to get a group of 150 metalheads in order to reserve a campsite.

How does one do that?? and if you don't/can't what happens? can you sleep there still, in like a first in first served thing?

We are planning to drive over from London, so we will have a car. But don't really want to sleep in that.

help/info is greatly appreciated

\m/
Marc

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Hail!

A friend and I are planning on making the mammoth journey from New Zealand to Wacken this year.
After reading the website we found out that you need to get a group of 150 metalheads in order to reserve a campsite.

How does one do that?? and if you don't/can't what happens? can you sleep there still, in like a first in first served thing?

We are planning to drive over from London, so we will have a car. But don't really want to sleep in that.

help/info is greatly appreciated

\m/
Marc
Reservations is not nesecary! It's only for groups in order to be together, and as individuals it's no use at all.

Besides, reservation closes in 2 weeks anyway.

Just come to Wacken, no worries, there's plenty of space on the camping!

Aussie Odin

29 Juni 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Marc,

Well done on joining us antipodeans in making the big trip to the Mecca of Metal.

Camping's not a problem at Wacken - just front up in your car and the friendly Wacken staff will direct you into the middle of a nice grassy field and leave you there to camp.

If you don't want to sleep in your car your choices are:

- hire a camper van to sleep in (expensive but you can split the cost 4 ways if you can get a couple of other people to join in. Plus the vans have fridges in them so you can keep your beers icy cold);
- hire a Ford transit or something like that - bit rough but you should be able to kip in the back;
- buy a little 2-man tent each and sleep in that.

This year I'm doing the tent thing but the other 4 people I'm going with will be in a camper van.

If you take a tent, apparently the tip is to take a roll of gaffer (duct) tape - useful to fix tears, etc if the mighty winds of Thor threaten to rip it apart. And empty beer bottles make the best tent pegs.

Oh, and when you've finished with the tent and don't want it any more, it's the custom to give it a viking send-off.

The 150+ people thing only applies to anyone who wants a reserved camp site in the "reserved" section.

Cheers

Tony (Melbourne)

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
I read you have a car (an English car I presume, NOT in mark)

Know that the Europeans on the main land drive on the RIGHT side of the road, being the right side. (not the left side, like in NZ, or the UK)

anathoth

12 März 2007
We dont have one yet. Will be hiring one. Not %100 where from yet. So not sure what side the wheel will be.

Ive done lots of driving in South America, which is the wrong side (ha). So should be ok. My mate hasn't on the other hand.. I'll give you his passport number in case you see someone driving like a mad man!

:p

RowdyRaptor

26 Juli 2010
Heidelberg
Hello experienced camper!!
What are the customs regarding leaving your belongings (clothing, beer, backpack) in your tent unattended? I'll have my valuables on me at all times of course (cash, cell phone). I remember last year some gypsy raiders from the woods got arrested for thefts.
Are campers pretty trustworthy?

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
What are the customs regarding leaving your belongings (clothing, beer, backpack) in your tent unattended? I'll have my valuables on me at all times of course (cash, cell phone). I remember last year some gypsy raiders from the woods got arrested for thefts.

Normally yeah.
Freaks are everywhere. Just make sure you're not 'inviting' strangers into your tent.

RowdyRaptor

26 Juli 2010
Heidelberg
Cool! I had no issues with people last year, and this year my large boyfriend is coming along, so I'm not worried about anyone coming after me personally. Just wondering about the backpacks as I didn't camp last year. Thanks :)

Kate McGee

W:O:A Metalgod
13 Aug. 2002
Kronach
franconianpsycho.blogspot.com
I'll have my valuables on me at all times of course (cash, cell phone).

That's the most important thing.
Regarding everything else - well, there's even people stealing chairs and empty bottles (the deposit!) and sometimes thieves cut holes into tents to search your belongings, but as long as they cannot find anything that's vital for you and your trip, you can risk leaving your backpack in the tent.

Maybe it's useful making friends with your neighbours - sharing some beers :) - so that they tend to look after your tents as well.

If you have something that's really expensive, it might be worth thinking about renting a locker on the festival grounds.

Sipyloidea

W:O:A Metalgod
19 März 2007

Maybe you should consider having a closer look at your stuff during the very big bands. During the past few years there've been rates of about 40 thieveries during the whole festival (on what? 60k people?). So no worries... but during Iron Maiden 2008, there've been organised gangs "harvesting" the empty tents