Planning for 2010 - Need some help, please!

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Graveworm_Hunter

W:O:A Metalhead
19 Juli 2009
Halkidiki, Greece.
www.go2halkidiki.net
Ok, we had such a blast at this years Wacken, we got the bug:D
So, we decided that we're coming again in 2010. This year we made the trip by car all the way from Greece, 4700km round trip, which was a great experience, but next year we're flying!
I know it's a little early yet, but I wanna make sure we can get there!
It looks like we're gonna have to fly to Berlin (from Thessaloniki) because as far as I can tell, any direct flights to Hamburg fly on the wrong days.
My questions are;
Would we be getting there too early if came on the Tuesday?
How easy is it to get a train from Berlin to Hamburg?
When we arrive in Hamburg (by train), what the hell do we do then?
Any details and help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

xforeverxmetalx

W:O:A Metalgod
29 Dez. 2007
Ok, we had such a blast at this years Wacken, we got the bug:D
So, we decided that we're coming again in 2010. This year we made the trip by car all the way from Greece, 4700km round trip, which was a great experience, but next year we're flying!
I know it's a little early yet, but I wanna make sure we can get there!
It looks like we're gonna have to fly to Berlin (from Thessaloniki) because as far as I can tell, any direct flights to Hamburg fly on the wrong days.
My questions are;
Would we be getting there too early if came on the Tuesday?
How easy is it to get a train from Berlin to Hamburg?
When we arrive in Hamburg (by train), what the hell do we do then?
Any details and help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Tuesday isn't too early, but I think they make you pay a bit. dunno, someone else would know though.
as far as getting there: Hamburg > Wacken extremely easy by train and shuttle.
train from Berlin is as easy as getting on the train. :o it's direct to Hamburg Hbf, been on that route myself and even headed up to Itzehoe from there [though I wasn't actually going to Wacken at the time] there was a train from there through Hamburg Altona and up to Itzehoe I believe.

gnoff

W:O:A Metalmaster
9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Train:

www.db.de

press "English" (if you wish) and then write from Berlin, to Hamburg, date and time of arrival or departure.

Seems to take just over 1 hour 30 minutes and at the moment cost you around 68 euro.

--------

You mean arriving in Wacken on Tuesday I guess?
All the reserved cmapings are, or should be, off limits.
Loads of ppl go early though, I think they've stopped trying to forbid it and just charge you some extra money.

I guess you can't calculate on there being food, beer and stuff to purchase, unless you go into town.

Perhaps toilets aren't cleaned before the festival starts, not sure.

--------

What to do in Hamburg

http://english.hamburg.de/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburg

Or simply just locate Reeperbahn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reeperbahn

More to do:
http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/Country/Cities/hamburg/79.htm

http://www.metaltravelguide.com/mtg/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=listcats&cat_id=998&Itemid=56

Graveworm_Hunter

19 Juli 2009
Halkidiki, Greece.
www.go2halkidiki.net
Thanks for the info, really helpful. Now I know how we're getting there, the next question is campsites.
Which is the best one to be closer to stages area. This year we were in campsite Y which was a hell of walk each time. I don't know how we ended up in that one, we just got guided there, maybe it's because we were in a car.
Next year, we'll be on foot. If we turn up on the Tuesday, do we get to choose where we go or do they fill up the outer sites first and work their way in as it gets busier?
Thanks again for all the help!

11 Sep. 2009
Sydney, Australia
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd add a question of my own as it is related.

My friend and I are coming over from Australia to go to WOA 2010, we are considering hiring a van to use for sleeping and transport during the festival, will we have any issues doing this? Also, is it possible to hire camping equipment to take to the camping grounds? (Bringing our own equipement from Australia would be expensive and not so practical)

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd add a question of my own as it is related.

My friend and I are coming over from Australia to go to WOA 2010, we are considering hiring a van to use for sleeping and transport during the festival, will we have any issues doing this? Also, is it possible to hire camping equipment to take to the camping grounds? (Bringing our own equipement from Australia would be expensive and not so practical)

If you know how to drive a stick you can easilly rent a van/car/SUV or whatever. (don't forget we drive on the right side of the road here)

Hiring camp equiptment? No, guess you either buy, or take as less as you can from back home. You aren't the only one coming by plane, so.....

jvoorhees

20 Jan. 2008
Australia
Also, is it possible to hire camping equipment to take to the camping grounds? (Bringing our own equipement from Australia would be expensive and not so practical)

We've been 2 years in a row now, and bringing your own gear is not a problem. A 3 person tent (that is, suitable for 2 people + bags) only weighs 5kgs. Both years we left our tents behind (they were only cheapies), to save lugging them back with us. Doing it all again next year.

29 Jan. 2009
Melbourne / Australia

I made the trip from Melbourne , Australia this year to WOA and i actually found it was easier taking my main camping articles with me from here to there. I took up a 3 man tent for myself and friend to share and it fit our 2 hiking packs in there fine as well. Also took up with me my sleeping Mat and Sleeping bag. I found they were fine in transit and i attached them to the outside of my bag and then had the bag "glad wrapped" at the airport.

I actually saved a shit load of money doing this, when we got to Hamburg our other friends who didnt bring ANY of their own equipment ended up spending 3-4 times as much i did. (My tent only cost $25.00 in a camping sale so i just threw it away when i was done. It lasted WOA, Party San and Summer Breeze).

Graveworm_Hunter

19 Juli 2009
Halkidiki, Greece.
www.go2halkidiki.net
Just been checking out some flights, and it looks like there's no flights back to Greece on Sundays, which means catching a flight on the Monday. Can anyone tell me if they allow you to camp on the Sunday night or has everyone got to leave on the Sunday?
Thanks!

cyber999

W:O:A Metalmaster
20 Apr. 2007
The Azores - Portugal
Just been checking out some flights, and it looks like there's no flights back to Greece on Sundays, which means catching a flight on the Monday. Can anyone tell me if they allow you to camp on the Sunday night or has everyone got to leave on the Sunday?
Thanks!

you have to leave in next day (8 th of august)

why dont you book a nice hostel? this year i stayed in a hostel near the train station altona had lots of fun there meeting new people and stuff