Where to eat

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

deadwinter

1 Juli 2008
What do the Wacken veterans recommend as far as procuring sustenance other than beer, thank you. Is it even worth it to bring a small camp stove and then buy supplies at the village store? How would you keep things cool before you cook them? Is food at the festival cheap enough that this is not necessary?

I'd like to know what the veterans have done in the past.

Damn, I really wish I had a camp. This stuff is easier in a group.

slayerofrage

W:O:A Metalhead
26 Juli 2006
Stockport
www.isitbeeroclock.com
Other than beer.... DO NOT BLASPHEME!! The beer gods will be offended!!!

Really yes suppplies in the village are worth it, though there is usually long ques for the supermarket after wednesday. You can buy water up there. Or at a slightly higher price at the onsite supermarkets.

The pub in the village Zur Post is good value, and easy.

Keeping things cool, stick them in the shade, or get a washing up bowl from the hardware stand in the village stick cold water in there, and cover it underneath your tent... Keeps things really cool!!

Food at the festival is extremely good value if you want to eat there. Well compared to other festivals it is, and theres a huge amount of choice!!

Solskinn Av Natten

28 März 2008
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
I'm glad to hear there's food readily available both in the village supermarket, as well as lots of choice at the festival! At any festivals here in Ontario, the choice is usually hamburger, hotdogs or fries... and that's it :( ('Street meat', they call it... usually dangerous to one's inner workings, and sort of expensive! I look forward to having proper German sausages, for once! :D)

What about for someone who's used to eating healthy, fresh food (ie. salads, fruits & vegetables, stir fries, etc)? Of course, I intend to take full advantage of all the beer-absorbing meat the festival has to offer, but I might like to take a break here & there and eat some green things, too. :)

I guess this could also be found in the village market?

slayerofrage

26 Juli 2006
Stockport
www.isitbeeroclock.com
I'm glad to hear there's food readily available both in the village supermarket, as well as lots of choice at the festival! At any festivals here in Ontario, the choice is usually hamburger, hotdogs or fries... and that's it :( ('Street meat', they call it... usually dangerous to one's inner workings, and sort of expensive! I look forward to having proper German sausages, for once! :D)

What about for someone who's used to eating healthy, fresh food (ie. salads, fruits & vegetables, stir fries, etc)? Of course, I intend to take full advantage of all the beer-absorbing meat the festival has to offer, but I might like to take a break here & there and eat some green things, too. :)

Aye there is a choice just some of the things i have found
Ribs
Grill Sausages, Kebabs,
Pizza
Fried potatos with Bacon and eggs
Fish in a roll
Knobi Garlic bread (available with cheese and bratwurst)
Fish and chips
Kebabs
Stews pork and beef
Noodles, with chilli or sweet and sour, add meat and vegetable if you wish
Crepes, with ham and cheese or cream and jack daniels
Breakfast sausage egg bacon
A leg of mutton
Lattice fries
Theres a vegi stand somewhere usually
Chips
Waffles
Pasta in several forms
Sweet pastries
turkish Pizza roll
Beware on of the noodle stands of the chilli cos there sauce is really hot

A small meal is around 3 euros and a big one 4-5 euros

And then there is the selection on beers!!

and like you say theres a huge choice in the village

Zur post the pub in the village has a selection
And edeka markt has a hige selection

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

gnoff

W:O:A Metalmaster
9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Make sure to get some of the spicy chicken wings usually available in the tent just outside the festival area, they usually sell out before Friday.

Other than that I tent to go for one or two German sausages (Bratwurst and fleischwurst) each day, and maybe a steak in a bun.

In the brekfast tent you get scrambled eggs, a bun and coffee/tea for not too bad of a price.

Part from that I usually survive on water and beer.

There's lots of other food though, but the wurst is what I go for.

Canuck

4 Nov. 2007
Toronto, Canada
Not only selection in beer, but who can forget the mead?:D

There is also currywurst, I don't think was mentioned, and doners. When eating at the festival grounds I usually go for currywurst, bratwurst or...steak in a bun (I can't remember what it's called).

slayerofrage

26 Juli 2006
Stockport
www.isitbeeroclock.com
Not only selection in beer, but who can forget the mead?:D

There is also currywurst, I don't think was mentioned, and doners. When eating at the festival grounds I usually go for currywurst, bratwurst or...steak in a bun (I can't remember what it's called).

Aye bratwurst is good!!

And Mead mein god is the mead good Viking Blud!!!

Steak... You mean the Wackenstiek!!

rscruickshank

19 März 2008
Edinburgh

The market in the village has everything you could need. There's fresh fruit and veg, canned goods, cooked and uncooked meats, all the usual stuff you see in a minimarket.

We usually get a bunch of stuff in the morning, make big sandwiches for lunch and store it all beside the water and beer to keep it cool.

And I highly recommend the pub in the village for breakfast. Good food, great for soaking up the hangover.

slayerofrage

26 Juli 2006
Stockport
www.isitbeeroclock.com
The market in the village has everything you could need. There's fresh fruit and veg, canned goods, cooked and uncooked meats, all the usual stuff you see in a minimarket.

We usually get a bunch of stuff in the morning, make big sandwiches for lunch and store it all beside the water and beer to keep it cool.

And I highly recommend the pub in the village for breakfast. Good food, great for soaking up the hangover.

Also

Throwing some steaks on the grill - we all can manage that. But domestic barbecue skills would not be sufficient for what the Wacken Beergarden is, well, cooking up this year:

An ox. Whole, in one piece, grilled on the premises and sold freshly to the hungry masses. !!!!!

A whole OX man im having me some of that!!!

Solskinn Av Natten

28 März 2008
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Also

Throwing some steaks on the grill - we all can manage that. But domestic barbecue skills would not be sufficient for what the Wacken Beergarden is, well, cooking up this year:

An ox. Whole, in one piece, grilled on the premises and sold freshly to the hungry masses. !!!!!

A WHOLE OX?! You mean, I can be drinking mead (from a drinking horn) in one hand, with a giant piece of ox meat in the other, all the while standing on German land, listening to metal, surrounded by my metalhead family?!

*wipes tear*

This is going to be incredible :D

slayerofrage

26 Juli 2006
Stockport
www.isitbeeroclock.com
A WHOLE OX?! You mean, I can be drinking mead (from a drinking horn) in one hand, with a giant piece of ox meat in the other, all the while standing on German land, listening to metal, surrounded by my metalhead family?!

*wipes tear*

This is going to be incredible :D

Lass, that be true (Alestorm talk, yarr)

I remember 2005 or 6 i think.. one of the two... Standing in a german field with a viking mead horn, full to the brim of viking blood mead, with a thors hammer round me neck.. eating a whole leg of mutton or something... like out of an asterix film.. watching the sun go down over Amon Amarth....

Thats the closest a metal head can get to nirvana!!

But a whole ox this is something new... i am so going to enjoy that!!

Canuck

4 Nov. 2007
Toronto, Canada
Also

WWWAAAIIIIIITTT A MINUTE! Slow down there! AN OX!?! wtf! Why was I not informed of this!? More info pls? And this will be at the biergarten?

slayerofrage

26 Juli 2006
Stockport
www.isitbeeroclock.com
WWWAAAIIIIIITTT A MINUTE! Slow down there! AN OX!?! wtf! Why was I not informed of this!? More info pls? And this will be at the biergarten?

An ox. Whole, in one piece, grilled on the premises and sold freshly to the hungry masses.

Don't despair now if you're an vegetarian, you will be fed, too. But all others might actually fancy a piece of the action: "This is an old tradition in northern Germany", explains Dr. Udo Pfarr, but who is taking care of the whole thing together with Helge Lürssen.

Since a ready-for-BBQ ox is weighing in at 200 kilograms easily, which makes up for 800 servings, both men and their team have to handle things differently than the metalheads heating up a quick Schnitzel at the tent. Mainly because it takes a whopping 20 hours for the roast to be done. "This means you have to grill for the whole night and turn the spit steadily and exactly so the meat doesn't burn", explains Pfarr, owner of Café Königsberg in nearby Itzehoe. "For the opening on Wednesday, the ox has to be finished, 3pm on the spot. It will be cut and served in the Beergarden."

Of course the ox must not fall into the flame, so the skewering alone takes a couple of hours. If you'd want to grill your own next weekend, you'd also need a custom made oven. So why not prepare nice little pieces like at the home barbecue? Because the crust shapes up differently if you do it with the whole piece, as each serving gets cut off, the whole thing then turned and grilled some more.

If you fancy a piece of Ox at Wacken, you'll get in a custom made bun, too, that will be prepared freshly on the premises. Plus from every 4 Euro for a piece there will be 1 Euro donated to the Wacken foundation.

Is the article from the festival diary!!!!