Making it home in the aftermath

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

deadwinter

1 Juli 2008
So, here's is something of some relevance as I try to figure out travel arrangements:

Can the veterans tell me how crazy it is go get back to Hamburg the day after the festival? I mean, you now have more than 70,000 people exiting the area, and a lot of those people want to fly back of out of Hamburg. So I want to have some idea of how crazy it really gets so I can plan on when my return flight should be.

-deadwinter

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
So, here's is something of some relevance as I try to figure out travel arrangements:

Can the veterans tell me how crazy it is go get back to Hamburg the day after the festival? I mean, you now have more than 70,000 people exiting the area, and a lot of those people want to fly back of out of Hamburg. So I want to have some idea of how crazy it really gets so I can plan on when my return flight should be.

-deadwinter

Leave early, and do not go by car after 9am. You will be stuck before the Elbe Tunnel.

LXE

W:O:A Metalhead
17 Juni 2003
Mpls. MN USA
LXE.US
bad

That is, WITH NO DOUBT IN MY MIND, the worst part about Wacken.
(they do know there is a problem, and I heard there have been some improvements made, but I don't know what, besides the added shuttle busses)

The lines for the regular shuttle busses get UGLY (especially if the weather is uncomfortable). Then they take you to the Itxehoe train station, and that get a little crazy, too.

If you do go that way, you can save some money by getting the tickets back on the way there. There is a ticket (I forgot what it's called) that gives 5 fares together for about the price of 2 individual tickets. On Sunday, no one is working the ticket booth, so you can only buy what is available at the vending machines (which often have long lines).

I got a ride the first time I went, and there was such a traffic jam, that the usually one hour ride to Hamburg was closer to 3. It was kinda fun though because people were still partying in the traffic jam. :p

I think (hopefully, because that's my method for the first time) the best method of evacuation this year is going to be the reservable shuttles to remedy records. The cost is still good compared to shuttle + train fare and if I can avoid long lines and hours of shoving matches trying to board every time a shuttle arrives to catch my ride, I'll be pretty happy about it.

slayerofrage

26 Juli 2006
Stockport
www.isitbeeroclock.com
Its deffo crazy, last year we left at 8am and didnt get to hamburg till 4pm!!

Theres always a huge que for buses, then the ticket machine at the train station! And then you've got to get on the train which is packed!!

Best bet is to sneak out a 6am and avoid it... but the hangover from the night before is still raging!!

zegazoid

3 Juli 2008
Dunblane, Scotland
Suppose it depends where you end up in the campsite too... We travelled by car last year but didn't get onsite until 2am. We left the campsite at around 1pm on Sunday and were in Hamburg for around 3pm... We were quite close to the entrance/exit though which probably made a big difference.. Getting out of the site was easy, only about 30 minutes getting back to Hamburg, yeah there was a bit of traffic jam, but we did stop off for water and petrol..

deadwinter

1 Juli 2008
I've actually given myself some time. My flight from Hamburg doesn't leave until 2:00. But that still sounds like I will have to get up at an insane early hour. I could sneak out the night before...

Except there is no way in hell I'm missing Kreator. Oh fuck no.

Well, my flight from London to the US doesn't leave until 11:00 am the next day...so I'll figure something out.

-deadwinter

LXE

17 Juni 2003
Mpls. MN USA
LXE.US
eek

Your flight leaves Hamburg at 2 on SUNDAY?

Yeah....you better leave real early.
HAM had major security. You should be AT the airport around noon (an hour later and you could likely be screwed).

The trains don't run all night though, so if you want to leave after the show ends (a lot of people do) you may want to try getting a ride from someone as plan A, and have a early shuttle wait as plan B.
....I don't know if I'd even trust the reserved shuttles to Hamburg, just because if you get stuck in traffic on the one road that it seems like everyone always takes (are there any other options, that people just don't know about, or what???) to Hamburg, for some unusual reason, you're S.O.L..
Getting on an early train is a good plan.

deadwinter

1 Juli 2008
Your flight leaves Hamburg at 2 on SUNDAY?

Yeah....you better leave real early.
HAM had major security. You should be AT the airport around noon (an hour later and you could likely be screwed).

Bloody hell...let's see if I can change that ticket...

Getting on an early train is a good plan.

You mean, get on the earliest possible shuttle bus from Wacken to Itzehoe, then take rail from there onwards?

-deadwinter

LXE

17 Juni 2003
Mpls. MN USA
LXE.US
It's most likely to cost you $100-$200 to change your ticket.

I think you'll be ok, though if you get an early shuttle to Itzehoe (It looks like, according to the shuttle PDF) they have busses running every half hour starting at 2am Sunday.
Then getting on one of the earlier trains (I think trains picked up around 5am) will have you there fine (they don't have to worry about the traffic jam on th highway).
Leave anytime before sunrise, and you should be good.