Airlines.....

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

deadwinter

1 Juli 2008
Well, hello again, metalheads.

As I mentioned before, I have not booked my plane ticket yet. This is due to a combination of factors, not the least of which that metaltix lost my tickets and I had to sic my credit card company on them.

At any rate, for those of you who have flown before from North America, which airline did you go with? This becomes a bigger deal nowadays, where the airline industry (at least in the US) is really struggling.

-DW

808Metal

W:O:A Metalmaster
30 Nov. 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
Well, hello again, metalheads.

As I mentioned before, I have not booked my plane ticket yet. This is due to a combination of factors, not the least of which that metaltix lost my tickets and I had to sic my credit card company on them.

At any rate, for those of you who have flown before from North America, which airline did you go with? This becomes a bigger deal nowadays, where the airline industry (at least in the US) is really struggling.

-DW

Hello,

I attended WOA in 2003 and flew a combination of United Airlines and Lufthansa. Both did their job with no problems. I was especially impressed with Lufthansa, great service. This time I am flying on Northwest and KLM. I have no experience with either airlines so I hope all goes well. Northwest was the best deal, price wise this time. I suggest you try Orbitz.com, or a similar online company. Hope that helps.

lifesadream

W:O:A Metalhead
14 Nov. 2007
Atlanta,GA
I think it depends on where you are flying from and where you are willing to fly into. I am taking Delta to Dusseldorf and then flying to hamburg the following day. They have great deals on flights to Europe at that time. My buddy got a cheap ticket on Air Berlin from NY. Go to Expedia.com and then find the lowest rate and then go directly to the airlines site and see if its any lower.

Feicht

7 Juni 2008
Sandusky
Wow, this is really short notice... hate to say it, but you're going to end up paying out the ass for anything, at this point :( Personally I've never actually flown across the Atlantic into Germany, I just hit Wacken as part of a larger trip. But I usually check www.farecompare.com ;they usually have the more up-to-date cheaper flight listings.

Where will you be flying out of?

LXE

17 Juni 2003
Mpls. MN USA
LXE.US
from?

Where do you want to fly out of, and where are you willing to fly into?

ASSuming you want to keep it simple and fly to Hamburg, You're more than likely to end up on KLM/NWA, uNITED, Lufthansa or Continental.
That all depends on where you are though, and what airlines hub or have good connections in your area. There are a million routs!
For example, if you're in The NY area, you should also make sure to check Iceland air, and British Airways.

This short out, I'd just go for the best fare an any airline. I can't think of any that are bound to be dead in the next few weeks (peak season) or cutting scheduled flights on purpose.

Feicht

7 Juni 2008
Sandusky
I'm seeing NYC to Frankfurt for just under a thousand right now. That will probably be the benchmark. You could wait and hope for a deal, but I'd just get it overwith and book the cheapest flight into Germany or Denmark you can find. You can pretty much get a train ticket from anywhere within a few hundred mile radius of Hamburg for under 100 bucks.

To the OP, if you'd like help with this I'd be more than happy to assist; just send me a PM if you want.

At this point, you're probably going to have to go with continental. Suprisingly, I got ripped off for buying my tickets in february...i paid a hundred dollars extra..ridiculous. Try continental, theyre going for about 1200 USD from Los Angeles to Hamburg.

Solskinn Av Natten

28 März 2008
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
All hope is not lost! I just got my flight about a week ago, through Air Transat (Montreal-based company). I was very discouraged looking through airlines' web sites, as I couldn't find anything under $1,200! I took the advice of a friend, and looked up the nearest travel agent. I'm so glad I did. They found me a flight from Toronto > Hamburg (when I thought the cheapest way would be to fly from Toronto > UK > Hamburg), and a flight home from Amsterdam > Toronto. All for under $900! :D

I highly suggest going to a travel agent. They are able to search charter flights and use search codes for lower prices than the general public is able to get. This is actually a very good time to be buying your flight.

Hope that helps you :cool:

deadwinter

1 Juli 2008
i recommend to book the flight with few months of anticipation..
i book my flight:
Monterrey - Mexico City -Paris - Hamburg
Hamburg - Madrid - Monterrey
(combined aeromexico/lufthansa)
6 months ago.. and i paid 1300 usd :)
right now.. the same route... is around 2000 usd :eek:

Ah, yes...that would have required having my Wacken ticket several months in advance too.

Thanks Metaltix!

808Metal

W:O:A Metalmaster
30 Nov. 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
All hope is not lost! I just got my flight about a week ago, through Air Transat (Montreal-based company). I was very discouraged looking through airlines' web sites, as I couldn't find anything under $1,200! I took the advice of a friend, and looked up the nearest travel agent. I'm so glad I did. They found me a flight from Toronto > Hamburg (when I thought the cheapest way would be to fly from Toronto > UK > Hamburg), and a flight home from Amsterdam > Toronto. All for under $900! :D

I highly suggest going to a travel agent. They are able to search charter flights and use search codes for lower prices than the general public is able to get. This is actually a very good time to be buying your flight.

Hope that helps you :cool:

I tried the travel agent route. The best deal I found was through Orbitz.com. That's not to say that a travel agent could not get you a better deal, it just did not work out that way for me.