Avenged Sevenfold?! ARE THEY SERIOUS?!

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Mü_Exotic

W:O:A Metalgod
7 Aug. 2006
hm i would prefer the real meaning of you´re post lol :p

that was my kind of sarcastic and ironic statement.

i don´t care bout the metalscene anymore, cause I think it´s really embarrassing to say "I´m a metalhead". sad to say, very sad.
it makes we wanna puke to see and read how narrowminded a lot of the so on called "metalheads" are. NO sign of tolerance, NO sign of showing that we are a community. that WE made the metalscene as it were before and as it should be.
no, everyone wants to claim his opinion as the one and only opinion which is right.
the metalsscene seems to be restricted, everything that may be succesful or is big in the media, is "commercial" is "untrue" or "not metal". like metalcore, bands changing there musicstyle - maybe they evolve...
what would had they said 20 years before?
maiden were commercial, they sold millions of records, played before hundred thousands of people.
but times seems changing, younger people think they made a great show of learning.
in MY generation we were happy to listen to new bands, to new kinds of metallike music and to new records.

and THAT was the point what counts, live and let live.
but the new generation don´t seem to be able to do that.
in fact, I think that a lot of younger people are just "music-racists"...
a petition against bands you don´t like, that is so fuckin untrue and against ALL what metal once stand before.

so metal-scene of today - FUCK YOU!

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien

i don´t care bout the metalscene anymore, cause I think it´s really embarrassing to say "I´m a metalhead". sad to say, very sad.
it makes we wanna puke to see and read how narrowminded a lot of the so on called "metalheads" are. NO sign of tolerance, NO sign of showing that we are a community. that WE made the metalscene as it were before and as it should be.
no, everyone wants to claim his opinion as the one and only opinion which is right.
the metalsscene seems to be restricted, everything that may be succesful or is big in the media, is "commercial" is "untrue" or "not metal". like metalcore, bands changing there musicstyle - maybe they evolve...
maiden were commercial, they sold millions of records, played before hundred thousands of people.
but times seems changing, younger people think they made a great show of learning.
in MY generation we were happy to listen to new bands, to new kinds of metallike music and to new records.

a petition against bands you don´t like, that is so fuckin untrue and against ALL what metal once stand before.

You are on the Wacken forum! :D

I do not totally agree with you Mümmel. (was ist sonnst neu)
There are still lots of people who carry out the "true" spirit of metal (whatever true in this case may be) And no, I'm not talking about the music, I'm talking about the opendmindedness (?) of those people. Those that today still are the community, we're so proud of.

It's just a small minority that makes the biggest scream!

13 Okt. 2007
Boston Area, Massachusetts
Eh, what are you gonna do? It's probably just because they're maidens support. It doesn't seem like anyone is happy about it, but it's more than likely that the Wacken organizers didn't have a say in putting them on due to a contract agreement with Maiden about their opening acts.

I understand with bands like As i Lay Dying and Hatebreed that people get upset, I don't think they belong on the Wacken bill either, but just sit this one band out. I don't think there's much you can due to get them off Wacken short of kicking Maiden off as well, and we all know that won't happen.

cyber999

W:O:A Metalmaster
20 Apr. 2007
The Azores - Portugal

i just gave my opinion i didnt say that i am right. i just type about what i think about this "problem"!.

bands changing there musicstyle

is heavy metal about money? i dont think so! a band that do music to make money is a poser! they aren´t writing music that they feel! and thats not art! music its a way to express yourself!, its art you have to feel it!. metal doesnt care about trends and money and shit like that!. when i said "commercial" i was meaning is a band that do music to make money!!

of course not all the bands can do what they like so many bands do mainstream music to servive! but like i said life is a fucking bitch! :mad:[

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Eh, what are you gonna do? It's probably just because they're maidens support. It doesn't seem like anyone is happy about it, but it's more than likely that the Wacken organizers didn't have a say in putting them on due to a contract agreement with Maiden about their opening acts.

I understand with bands like As i Lay Dying and Hatebreed that people get upset, I don't think they belong on the Wacken bill either, but just sit this one band out. I don't think there's much you can due to get them off Wacken short of kicking Maiden off as well, and we all know that won't happen.

My point exactly!

One can start petitions in all sorts, the only thing that will happen is that they will play Wacken. No one can do anything about it!

29 März 2008
So, I'm just going to piss on your post for a while.

coremummel

Let me get to my first point. Metal isn't about universal musical openmindedness, and it never fucking has been. Period. If you think otherwise you're living in a fantasy world. Metal is about.... well... metal.

The thrash movement was a rise against the glam movement, the original NWOBHM bands, as well as Sabbath (the original Doom band) were a statement against the rising pop music industry with it's processed and insincere garbage.

To claim that there would be no innovation by the criteria of "true metal" is just more bullshit. It's perfectly possible for bands to innovate their sound without surrendering their integrity. Unfortunately, a lot of the time a band does drastically alter it's direction it is to achieve greater mainstream appeal.

This leads onto the point of "selling out". Selling out doesn't refer to a band selling a lot of albums, it refers to.. now listen carefully to this... a band surrendering it's artistic integrity and abandoning it's original fanbase in the pursuit of money and or fame. The great capitalist nightmare. A band can sell trillions of albums, and they won't be sellouts for that reason in and of itself. Assuming they "stayed true", they will just be a successful / well renowned metal band.

If however that same band suddenly dumbs down their sound, or adapts it in a way to appeal to a more mainstream audience, starts marketing themselves ruthlessly at children, and selling themselves in the mainstream media - while, say, adopting the typical rockstar "I'm better than you" attitude then, yeah, they've sold out. Example? Metallica. They went from playing some great Thrash in the 80's, come the 90's they decided to abandon their original fanbase, drastically alter their sound and change it to a far more simplistic hook-filled style, they cut their hair to appeal to the biggest market of the day (Nu Metal, i.e. shit), began putting themselves in the media limelight at every opportunity, and appearing at as many "mainstream" events as possible.

Despite the fact that Metallica originally became known through bootlegs, they also went on a little crusade against music sharing to ensure that they made as much money as possible.

Now here's the deal... Metal isn't and never has been "mainstream music", it's not something a casual listener is meant to be able to pick up, listen to, and appreciate - it goes deeper than that. It's not just a form of music, it's a lifestyle. It generally appeals to people with a certain mindset, and world view, which is very different from your blind Britney Spears fan. the complexity of the music is something that has to be appreciated properly, it's like a fine wine, not an alcopop (like for example, the pop music industry.)

Add to that the fact that many metal bands, and metal as a whole is counter-cultural, and that a big emphasis of often on the corruption and failures of mainstream society (including the media), how would any self-respecting metal band allow themselves to become just another part of it?

Metal changes and adapts all the time, but changing and selling out are two different things. There is such a thing as true metal whether you like it or not.

I'm from your generation, and I sure as hell don't think like you.

"Corporate rock really does suck" - Carcass.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

808Metal

30 Nov. 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
Oh my god...that means you'll probably miss just about half of the bands you like :(

No, what I am saying is that there are only about 6-8 bands that I absolutely do not want to see, about 25 that I really am looking forward to and maybe 25-30 that will be worth checking out. I am sure there will be times when choosing between two bands playing at the same time will be tough but such is a festival like Wacken. This is not my personal festival so I can't hand pick all 70 or so bands so I will have to take the good with the bad, just like everyone else. Regardless, it will be a great event.

LXE

W:O:A Metalhead
17 Juni 2003
Mpls. MN USA
LXE.US
interesting

I only recently heard of this band (from a LONG time fan friend), and I actually think they sound pretty good.....I've never seen them before, which I can't say for all be a few of the bands billed so far, so....COOL!
Based on the one or two cds worth of tunes I've heard of them over the past year, They'll probably be fun. I don't see what the big deal is.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
I only recently heard of this band (from a LONG time fan friend), and I actually think they sound pretty good.....I've never seen them before, which I can't say for all be a few of the bands billed so far, so....COOL!
Based on the one or two cds worth of tunes I've heard of them over the past year, They'll probably be fun. I don't see what the big deal is.

I reckon no one does.

Northern Death

1 Mai 2004
Dlm am Wildpferd
hairniteout.blogspot.de
So, I'm just going to piss on your post for a while.

coremummel

Let me get to my first point. Metal isn't about universal musical openmindedness, and it never fucking has been. Period. If you think otherwise you're living in a fantasy world. Metal is about.... well... metal.

The thrash movement was a rise against the glam movement, the original NWOBHM bands, as well as Sabbath (the original Doom band) were a statement against the rising pop music industry with it's processed and insincere garbage.

To claim that there would be no innovation by the criteria of "true metal" is just more bullshit. It's perfectly possible for bands to innovate their sound without surrendering their integrity. Unfortunately, a lot of the time a band does drastically alter it's direction it is to achieve greater mainstream appeal.

This leads onto the point of "selling out". Selling out doesn't refer to a band selling a lot of albums, it refers to.. now listen carefully to this... a band surrendering it's artistic integrity and abandoning it's original fanbase in the pursuit of money and or fame. The great capitalist nightmare. A band can sell trillions of albums, and they won't be sellouts for that reason in and of itself. Assuming they "stayed true", they will just be a successful / well renowned metal band.

If however that same band suddenly dumbs down their sound, or adapts it in a way to appeal to a more mainstream audience, starts marketing themselves ruthlessly at children, and selling themselves in the mainstream media - while, say, adopting the typical rockstar "I'm better than you" attitude then, yeah, they've sold out. Example? Metallica. They went from playing some great Thrash in the 80's, come the 90's they decided to abandon their original fanbase, drastically alter their sound and change it to a far more simplistic hook-filled style, they cut their hair to appeal to the biggest market of the day (Nu Metal, i.e. shit), began putting themselves in the media limelight at every opportunity, and appearing at as many "mainstream" events as possible.

Despite the fact that Metallica originally became known through bootlegs, they also went on a little crusade against music sharing to ensure that they made as much money as possible.

Now here's the deal... Metal isn't and never has been "mainstream music", it's not something a casual listener is meant to be able to pick up, listen to, and appreciate - it goes deeper than that. It's not just a form of music, it's a lifestyle. It generally appeals to people with a certain mindset, and world view, which is very different from your blind Britney Spears fan. the complexity of the music is something that has to be appreciated properly, it's like a fine wine, not an alcopop (like for example, the pop music industry.)

Add to that the fact that many metal bands, and metal as a whole is counter-cultural, and that a big emphasis of often on the corruption and failures of mainstream society (including the media), how would any self-respecting metal band allow themselves to become just another part of it?

Metal changes and adapts all the time, but changing and selling out are two different things. There is such a thing as true metal whether you like it or not.

I'm from your generation, and I sure as hell don't think like you.

"Corporate rock really does suck" - Carcass.
hm...there seem to be quite more people in the international part of the forum that share my opinions than in the german part. I think if you knew some of the people you quoted here personally you would not even waste your time on discussing their arguments :D

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
hm...there seem to be quite more people in the international part of the forum that share my opinions than in the german part. I think if you knew some of the people you quoted here personally you would not even waste your time on discussing their arguments :D

Now you know why I'm laughing at them. I've been contaminated with your mentality by posting on the German board :D