FUCK OFF Job for A Cowboy!

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.
13 Okt. 2007
Boston Area, Massachusetts
If you don't want to go, stay home.

Nobody is forcing you to make this trip.

And I sometimes have the feeling "we" Europeans have our feet more on the ground.
This is not an insult. It's just how we see things here.

But I recommend you read 808Metal's posting first.
I did read that post and he makes valid points, but way I see it is the bands aren't metal, and Wacken is a metal festival, so these bands shouldn't play. I take no offense to your comment either, having grown up here I can't really help but agree with you for the most part, but that's a different issue. I think if you were looking at this from the same perspective as someone like myself you might understand my discontent with these bands being on the bill. I'm making an assumption (and correct me if I'm wrong) but as far as I know Europe didn't get a tour where Amon Amarth opened for Trivium and played for only 30 minutes, or get shows where fans have to sit through sets for bands like Slipknot to see a real metal bands play for 20 minutes. Wacken is kind of like an escape from these bands, as well as a rare opportunity to see bands that just aren't big enough to tour in North America, and to see these American bands being added to a festival which metal fans in the US have nothing but complete respect for because they've managed to keep it so pure isn't exactly reassuring that the metal scene in Europe is going to consistently be something we can look at and say "Well at least they're doing it right" whenever a new metal-core band gets huge over here.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
I did read that post and he makes valid points, but way I see it is the bands aren't metal, and Wacken is a metal festival, so these bands shouldn't play. I take no offense to your comment either, having grown up here I can't really help but agree with you for the most part, but that's a different issue. I think if you were looking at this from the same perspective as someone like myself you might understand my discontent with these bands being on the bill. I'm making an assumption (and correct me if I'm wrong) but as far as I know Europe didn't get a tour where Amon Amarth opened for Trivium and played for only 30 minutes, or get shows where fans have to sit through sets for bands like Slipknot to see a real metal bands play for 20 minutes. Wacken is kind of like an escape from these bands, as well as a rare opportunity to see bands that just aren't big enough to tour in North America, and to see these American bands being added to a festival which metal fans in the US have nothing but complete respect for because they've managed to keep it so pure isn't exactly reassuring that the metal scene in Europe is going to consistently be something we can look at and say "Well at least they're doing it right" whenever a new metal-core band gets huge over here.

No, that's true. But that's also a "cultural" thing, and I think that we are much further with that than the US is.

Though it may also depend on taste. And I know examples where we had to sit through "shitty" bands, just to see the headliner.
And also good bands doing a support, although they desserved a place as a headliner. (Amon Amarth was doing support for Dimmu Borgir, AA was the headliner for me, DB weren't)

The thing is: Bands want to grow. The only place where they can do so, is accros the ocean. (and it works both ways)

But as Wacken concerns, Wacken has become more of a mainstream than a metal festival over the past, say, 4 to 5 years. Metal may be the main thing, but slowly but surely it moves more to the "middle" of Rock.

I'd like to end with a quote from the WOA orgas
"The Running Order hasn't been put in stone yet".
This meaning, everything can change.

Spindelta

W:O:A Metalhead
21 Dez. 2006
I recommend you read 808Metal's posting first.

Why? It just reads like a big apology for a line-up which is increasingly bad from a die hard Wacken fan. Metalcore is vaguely compared to nu-metal as a trend for teenagers, which I would say is accurate. The question is, did Wacken book nu-metal bands back when Limp Bizkit and Slipknot were topping the charts?

I don't care how long someone has listened to metal or how many CDs they have: I can see an ocean of divide between JFAC (and the other bands mentioned) and actual metal.

By monkey shit I mean hip Hop related music of course.

Racism, what an excellent way to get people to appreciate your argument.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:

808Metal

W:O:A Metalmaster
30 Nov. 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
Why? It just reads like a big apology for a line-up which is increasingly bad from a die hard Wacken fan. Metalcore is vaguely compared to nu-metal as a trend for teenagers, which I would say is accurate. The question is, did Wacken book nu-metal bands back when Limp Bizkit and Slipknot were topping the charts?

I don't care how long someone has listened to metal or how many CDs they have: I can see an ocean of divide between JFAC (and the other bands mentioned) and actual metal.

Racism, what an excellent way to get people to appreciate your argument.

First of all, do not take any offense to my opinions, none is intended. You are right, Nu Metal was not part of the billing back then, and thankfully so, however Metalcore is by far more "Metal" than Numetal is or was. I personally like NO NuMetal. I do like several select Metalcore bands. The problem with metalcore is that it mostly all sounds the same, most of the bands in that genre are jumping on the bandwagon. If Metalcore was not so popular with the teen crowd, it might not catch as much flack from metal fans. If you see an ocean of divide between JFAC and other bands well true, they are a bit unoriginal, but if you only listen to bands that sound like no one else then you might be listening to very few bands. Like it or not, JFAC are Metal, just not metal that you like. And as for Metalcore and NuMeal bands (remember I do not like NuMetal, and only a small amount of metalcore) Those bands and genres do help introduce new and future Metal fans to metal in general. Many fans start off with the mainstream bands and then progress to the more true and obscure stuff. Those bands are often a starting point or spring board for metal fans and that is a good thing for metal in general. New fans keep this music alive. My nephew, now 15 and who likes stuff like sabbath, Maiden, Slayer COB etc. started off as a NuMetal fan, now his metal scope is much larger. As for As I lay Dying, As I have said before, not a band I listen to, but I met several of the band members once and they were very cool and down to earth, in fact one of them complimented me on the Overkill T-shirt that I was wearing and told me how much they love that classic stuff and how it influenced them. Remember, many Metalcore band members are Metal fans.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Does everything always need to be "true metal" then no new bands or genres will ever be allowed?

I guess Death should never have been invented, nore should black?

I don't have long hair any longer, nor do I always wear or purchase black clothing.

My T-shirts are more "regular type" than band T-shirts.

I don't go to metal concerts as much as I used to.

I guess I have become less metal because of this and hence not allowed on the "real" metal festivals anymore?

It's interesting to see a few "fans" of the festival saying all other non-complaining fans as well as the festival organizers are all wrong and should change.

The best thing I've felt every time at Wacken is that virtually all the people I've met have been understanding, down to earth, fun, non-judgemental and generally nice going people.

If I could choose I'd say don't have Iron Maiden since they will (likely) draw huge amounts of non-festival folk that will ruin the atmosphere.
But I don't get to choose other than to go or not to go.

And in fact if you want to have any chance of the organizers to read your concerns, I'd recommend you to place it in the Q/A part of the forum, I can pretty much guarantee that they will not ever visit the international forum.

All you're doing now is getting other people pissed because of the constant ranting on a few "not enough metal" bands that are on the bill.
I can understand if you personally don't want them, but give it a rest now, please!
If you can't stand them so bad that you won't go to the festival, fine, don't go.
Why should the rest of us care enough when we don't have a problem with this?

808Metal

30 Nov. 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
But in the end, it's all a question of

taste.

And you cannot fight about taste.

That is true, and that's why there are thousands of bands and many different sub-genres. That is what keeps metal interesting, and is why I have been a fan for so long. There is no right or wrong as far as taste goes, it's all a personal preference.