Ac/dc

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

TALKHEAVY

W:O:A Metalgod
Frank, no, everyone wears a school uniform. Public and Private. But usually we (Australians) can tell straight away what type of school by the uniform.

HAHAH school photos on my website hahah maybe one day ;)

HAHA photos of me in a school uniform LOL LOL LOL Not so long ago I went to a metal show wearing an outfit like Britney Spears in her first music video ;) and my father asked me which school I went to... hehehe Of course, I gave him the \m/ and said "school of metaaaaaaaal!" in a good power metal vibrato voice girl :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Did you mean in good power metal girl voice vibrato? :D :p

Brat

W:O:A Metalhead
26 Feb. 2002
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
LOL Yes, frank, that's what I meant! Oh dear! hahaha

Originally posted by black widow
1) it must be finished june 1th. and im going to ask some acquaintance! I dont want you to do all, i think its tooo much and it would outrageous!

Ok, well good news, I now have a new computer which will be set up in the next couple of days....

I should be able to give you lots more feedback on your English.

And just another, a person your age with English as a first language wouldn't use or know what alluvial means.

They would simply refer to using 'mining, mines, etc'

black widow

Originally posted by Brat
alluvial
I often use words or phrases people in my age would not use so it is as normal as playing football for me AND we should use the DICTIONARY and there was just this one word with this meaning and so I chose it without knowing it is not often used by a teenager or not known by you.

An important question from me:
Is it possible that you can give me the parts you have read and where you would give me some hints to make it better put on the internet from time to time?
I want to give my teacher a hand-writen version of my Australia-folder!!! It will be a lot of work but it looks nicer and I will be the only one who does this and I like it to be different to the other!

Brat

26 Feb. 2002
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
here's the next bit of corrections

The mostly hot or warm climate makes the a lot of people going out, where they like most to have a barbecue or spend their on the beach.
*Only in summer

But, Australia is also a land with bush fires, drought and..... inundations.
*and what?

Wild cyclones
*all cyclones are wild

in summer and the monsoon cross the tropical areas. Droughts in the outback can last for years and bush fires can be a threat for the suburbs of the cities.

The unique fauna stretches away from the kangaroos to the duckbilled platypuses and away from the koalas to the weeping swans.
*only 'von/bis' needed. If you use 'the' before the noun it should be singular, remove 'the' and keep the noun plural
*stretches is used for things like describing land. If you talk about animate objects you use 'includes' and 'ranges' when talk about parameters, e.g. ranges for hot to freezing

It is also the land of eucalyptus, sheep and cattle farms. The most famous landmarks are the Ayers Rock,
*incorrect name for this landmark now. The indigenous name is more correct now

the world’s largest monolith, and the Great Barrier Reef, the world’s largest coral reef.
*don't put commas before 'and'

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

mugabe

7 Aug. 2002
Avesta, Sweden
www.kurtz.se
the world’s largest monolith, and the Great Barrier Reef, the world’s largest coral reef.
*don't put commas before 'and'
Why not? "Water, salt, macaroni, and cheese."

I'd use a hyphen in the above sentence, though; "Ayers Rock - the world’s largest monolith, and the Great Barrier Reef - the world's largest coral reef."

Brat

26 Feb. 2002
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
Originally posted by mugabe
Why not? "Water, salt, macaroni, and cheese."

I'd use a hyphen in the above sentence, though; "Ayers Rock - the world’s largest monolith, and the Great Barrier Reef - the world's largest coral reef."

Nope - actually the best way is to put the two facts in separate sentences.

you would you use if you repeated 'and' but this would be grammitically incorrect and only used for speech, eg. The child was so excited as he desribed his day to his father: "There was fireworks, and rides, and food, and animals, and I got to eat fairy floss, and ...."

Generally the commas between each of the nouns in your 1st sentence replaces 'and' therefore you use an 'and' before the last noun but without the comma.

However, yr 2nd sentence the it partly correct in using the comma, but the sentences alone are incomplete. If you use
"Ayers Rock - the world's largest monolith" it requires further information, eg. "The most visited attraction in Australia is Ayers Rock - the world's ..."
or
"Ayers Rock, the world's largest monolith, is the most visited tourist attraction in Australia..."

The same applies with 'or', eg. black, white or red

Kate McGee

13 Aug. 2002
Kronach
franconianpsycho.blogspot.com

you would you use if you repeated 'and' but this would be grammitically incorrect and only used for speech, eg. The child was so excited as he desribed his day to his father: "There was fireworks, and rides, and food, and animals, and I got to eat fairy floss, and ...."

Generally the commas between each of the nouns in your 1st sentence replaces 'and' therefore you use an 'and' before the last noun but without the comma.
I'd really like to hear some comments by other English native speakers about this. When I was at school I think we were taught to use a comma and an "and" before the last word of an enumeration. Or if they didn't tell us to - well that's just what I found in many texts too, literature, newspaper articles, and I think the internet too, and so I always believed that it's correct with the comma.
I never got used to it - it's not that way in German - but I simply learned to put the fucking comma there and that's it ;)

So...comments, please ;)

mugabe

7 Aug. 2002
Avesta, Sweden
www.kurtz.se
Originally posted by Kate McGee
I'd really like to hear some comments by other English native speakers about this. When I was at school I think we were taught to use a comma and an "and" before the last word of an enumeration. Or if they didn't tell us to - well that's just what I found in many texts too, literature, newspaper articles, and I think the internet too, and so I always believed that it's correct with the comma.
I never got used to it - it's not that way in German - but I simply learned to put the fucking comma there and that's it ;)

So...comments, please ;)
Do a Google search for "serial comma" and you'll find some stuff on the subject. Apparently it's more common in American English than in the British or Australian varieties, but to deem it wrong is like saying "truck" is incorrect whereas "lorry" is correct.

Using it reduces the possibility of misinterpretation, especially when listing things in the manner of "A and B, C and D, and E."

Several sites give as an example the book dedication To my parents, Ayn Rand and God.

mugabe

7 Aug. 2002
Avesta, Sweden
www.kurtz.se
Not sure what you are referring to here.

See my reply to Kate.

However, yr 2nd sentence the it partly correct in using the comma, but the sentences alone are incomplete. If you use
"Ayers Rock - the world's largest monolith" it requires further information, eg. "The most visited attraction in Australia is Ayers Rock - the world's ..."
or
"Ayers Rock, the world's largest monolith, is the most visited tourist attraction in Australia..."
Yes. The sentence begins with "The most famous landmarks are the. . ." I just omitted it, since that wasn't the issue.

The same applies with 'or', eg. black, white or red
A comma is fine there as well.

1. blue, black and white or red
2. blue, black, and white or red
3. blue, black and white, or red

Spot any difference?

Kate McGee

13 Aug. 2002
Kronach
franconianpsycho.blogspot.com
Originally posted by mugabe
Do a Google search for "serial comma" and you'll find some stuff on the subject. Apparently it's more common in American English than in the British or Australian varieties, but to deem it wrong is like saying "truck" is incorrect whereas "lorry" is correct.

Using it reduces the possibility of misinterpretation, especially when listing things in the manner of "A and B, C and D, and E."

Several sites give as an example the book dedication To my parents, Ayn Rand and God.
OK, thanx :)
Well, so I can just decide which way I want to do it? All right...