Ac/dc

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

mugabe

W:O:A Metalhead
7 Aug. 2002
Avesta, Sweden
www.kurtz.se
Here's what the nice folks at Oxford Dictionaries say about it:

The 'Oxford comma' is an optional comma before the word 'and' at the end of a list:

We sell books, videos, and magazines.

It is so called because it was traditionally used by printer's readers and editors at Oxford University Press. Sometimes it can be necessary for clarity when the items in the list are not single words:

These items are available in black and white, red and yellow, and blue and green.

Some people do not realize that the Oxford comma is acceptable, possibly because they were brought up with the supposed rule (which Fowler would call a 'superstition') about putting punctuation marks before and.

And don't you "gnoff" me, boy!

black widow

Originally posted by Brat
the world’s largest monolith, and the Great Barrier Reef, the world’s largest coral reef.
*don't put commas before 'and'
Sorry but i put the commas there because my fingers wanted it and i dont 'corrected' it! but how i see it was right to wright it so!

@Brat: I got the texts back and my acquantance corrocted the grammar mistakes and I changed the order of the words! So you dont need to correct it anymore!

Kate McGee

W:O:A Metalgod
13 Aug. 2002
Kronach
franconianpsycho.blogspot.com
Originally posted by black widow
'eine Überschwemmung'
there were again only one word with this meaning in my dictionary! :confused:
As you have access to the internet you should always combine your dictionary with the magical forces of http://dict.leo.org
My good friend Leo offers you
- deluge
- flood
- flooding
- glut
- inundation
as possible translations for Überschwemmung.
I guess "flood" will do ;)

Be a bit careful with Leo, cos you know sometimes words have two meanings (quote from Stairway to Heaven?!), and better check the English word you are about to choose for your text once again - click on the respective word and look at the German translations that are displayed then. This way you usually notice if you have accidentally chosen a word which has a "wrong" main meaning. You can do the same in a normal dictionary, of course.

Or, if you can't seem to find any good translation for a word such as "Überschwemmung", why don't you try to use German synonyms instead. Look up words like "Flut", "Überflutung" or "Hochwasser" and find out if you dictionary has useful translations for that.
If you can't find an exact translation, try to paraphrase the thing you want to express. Sometimes that's sufficiently effective.

wow, "sufficiently effective", what the heck am I writing here :rolleyes::D
I always liked English at school :)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Brat

26 Feb. 2002
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
As for the whole comma issue:

Language evolves. We all know that.

Now, I use the Australian Style Guide, the Australian National Training Authority Style Guide and Macquarie Dictionary for my editting work (for those who didn't understand my German, I am an editor of textbooks and an instructional designer).

The move in Australia is to 'modernise' grammar and use minimal punctuation for all textbooks. The rule of thumb is, if you require a number of punctuation marks for your sentence to be understood, the sentence can be written clear (possibly by breaking it up into 2 or more).

Now, as blackwidow was doing an AUSTRALIAN assignment, I advised him on the Australian style.

"3. Sets of commas are means of separating items in a series, for example: The billabongs at sunset drew flocks of galahs, gang-gangs, budgerigars and cockatoos of all kinds.

A curious amount of heat has been generated over whether or not there should be a comma between the two last items in such a series ( the so-called serial comma debate). Older editing practice tried to legislate on the matter and insisted that there should always be a comma before the 'and'. Yet Webster's Standard American Style Manual (1985) admits that the serial comma is as often absent as present in its citation files. The ongoing trend is to use the final serial comma only when it is needed to prevent ambiguity, as noted in the British English by the authors of 'Right Word at the Right Time' and recommended by the 'Australian Government Style Manual'. In a sence like the one shown above, there is no problem if the serial comma is absent. However, it's a different matter with the following:

Drinking their fill at the billabong were rabbits, emus, flocks of galahs and wallabies.

The word flock does not collate with wallabies and a comma before 'and' to separate 'flocks or galahs' from 'wallabies' is desirable." Peters, P. (1995). The Cambridge Australian English Style Guide (pp.147-148). Australia: Cambridge Unversity Press.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

mugabe

7 Aug. 2002
Avesta, Sweden
www.kurtz.se
As for the whole comma issue:

Language evolves. We all know that.

Now, I use the Australian Style Guide, the Australian National Training Authority Style Guide and Macquarie Dictionary for my editting work (for those who didn't understand my German, I am an editor of textbooks and an instructional designer).

The move in Australia is to 'modernise' grammar and use minimal punctuation for all textbooks. The rule of thumb is, if you require a number of punctuation marks for your sentence to be understood, the sentence can be written clear (possibly by breaking it up into 2 or more).
The MLA, the APA, and the University of Chicago styles (the three prominent style guides for scholarly publication) all advocate the use of the serial comma. The latter gives the rather good advice, especially for neophytes, that "since it is sometimes needed, and is never wrong, the simplest way to impose consistency without having to stop and think about each instance is to form a habit of adding the serial comma."

Now, as blackwidow was doing an AUSTRALIAN assignment, I advised him on the Australian style.
Check with the Dept of English at an Aussie university of your choice, and I'll bet you a bag of dill chips that they recommend one of the style guides I listed for their publications, and not the 'Australian Government Style Manual.' ;)

Brat

26 Feb. 2002
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
Actually Pam Peters, the author of the above mentioned Australian style guide was on the faculty of English and Linguistics at Macquarie University at the time of print and the book lists the following university consultants:
Alec Jones, University of Sydney
Stephen Knight, De Monfort University
Colin Yallop, Macquarie University ;)

mugabe

7 Aug. 2002
Avesta, Sweden
www.kurtz.se
Personal insults? I was merely suggesting that there might be, and probably is, one standard recommended for academic papers and another for more mundane writing.

Accusing you of not being able to tell "result" from "resort" and thus nullifying your authority in linguistic matters would be closer to a personal insult, but far be it from me to stoop to such low a level. ;)

mugabe

7 Aug. 2002
Avesta, Sweden
www.kurtz.se
Oh. "The average member of the general public", then.

I would also like to apologise in advance to all members of the academic community for mockingly referring to them as "the scholarly intelligentsia", ascribing to them a ridiculous self-important hubris that is in no way characteristic of all nice university and college staff members.