Any Australians going to Wacken 2011

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

VindictaLoupsGarou

W:O:A Metalhead
1 Okt. 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I see it's your first time too! What's the go? Nearby hotel rooms or you planning on camping it? Wouldn't mind my own bathroom/bed for the 3 days to be honest.

What are you planning on doing for accomodation etc?

yeah i'm doing my head in trying to work stuff out!

i'll be camping! much easier to stumble to my tent than find transport to a hotel :) prob be staying in hamburg a few days before and after the festival.

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
I wouldn't even consider going to a hotel during the festival. I got so fucked up every single night (to the point where I needed help getting to/into my tent) and it was so convenient and I felt extremely safe especially since I was 5 seconds away from passing out. I was also up at dawn every single day and people were always awake. The ground at Wacken is increadibly soft and it was actually more comfortable sleeping there than sleeping in any bed I've been in.

As for accommodation before/after the festival:

Before Wacken last year all of my friends stayed at a hotel in Billstedt (a little bit out from the CBD) called Panorama Inn Und Boardinghaus. It's 2 trains from the airport and all up it takes about 45 minutes to get there iirc. It's a 3 star hotel and the 4 star is right next door if you're feeling a bit snooty.

- Cold buffet breakfast (aka they have everything except bacon pretty much)
- Bar fridge (I kept my cold pack full of fruit and shelf-life milk in it before I took it to the festival and it stayed cold the whole time. Just an idea if you want to bring your own fresh food), TV, toilet, bath/shower, phone, desk, wardrobe
- Downstairs is a bistro bar called Einstein. I slept through the piss-up but I was told they have some sort of deal going on, I think it was 2 for 1 cocktails or something? They'll also feed you well :)
- There's an internet cafe downstairs from the 4 star hotel at a really cheap rate (for internet you have to pay for anyway). You can also make phone calls from there
- A stone's throw from the local shopping mall and corner stores, and a short walk from the train station
- The cleaners come in every day and actually clean it
- Hotel staff were increadibly helpful and friendly. They rang my room when my friend's phone wasn't working and when my mum emailed to see if I made it. They popped in to make sure everything was ok when I didn't leave my room at all after breakfast after the festival (as I was exhausted, alone and cbf doing anything), and there was always a warm smile and a polite "morgen" from all staff.
- If you get there before 2pm you still might be able to check-in, just ask.

The locals seemed all too willing to help me out with directions and so on, and I didn't even have to ask for it (I just had to stand there with a suitcase with a puzzled look on my face and they noticed) :) So yeah hope this was helpful.

wackyv8

31 Okt. 2008
australia
i cant believe you are contemplating booking a hotel while the festival is on, and good luck getting one within 50 km's anyway...
camping is half the fun!
my first year in WOA in 2007 we camped next to the spanish, they knew very little english and us ,even less spanish, but that didnt stop us having an awesome time partying with them in between bands and through the night. every year since, we now hookup with them for a cool time .
last year (2010)we had Italians on one side ,and Danes on the other . both awesome new friends to party with. the kind of comeradery you will not find if you walk around the festival then piss off to a hotel.
as for a shower , theres plenty of them around onsite for a couple of Euro's, and if you pick your time you can get through in 5 minutes ( dont bother at 9 am... itll be 10 am before you get a shower). also they has a shuttle bus to the Wacken swimming pool last year.
WOA doesnt stop! - it just slows down a little at 5:45 am :)

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
5.45am? Isn't that when everyone gets up, has a coffee, cleans up a bit then continue to party? :p

A bit off topic but does anyone know if you can get dry shampoo in Germany? I can't find any here, but I ended up borrowing some while I was at Bloodstock Open Air in the UK. After using that and baby wipes to clean myself I actually did nearly forget that I hadn't had a shower in 4 days (the freezing cold weather probably contributed too :p). After Wacken however, I was in the shower of my hotel room in Hamburg for a good hour. My head felt so discusting.

VindictaLoupsGarou

1 Okt. 2010
Melbourne, Australia
5.45am? Isn't that when everyone gets up, has a coffee, cleans up a bit then continue to party? :p

A bit off topic but does anyone know if you can get dry shampoo in Germany? I can't find any here, but I ended up borrowing some while I was at Bloodstock Open Air in the UK. After using that and baby wipes to clean myself I actually did nearly forget that I hadn't had a shower in 4 days (the freezing cold weather probably contributed too :p). After Wacken however, I was in the shower of my hotel room in Hamburg for a good hour. My head felt so discusting.

I think they sell that at priceline.. i'll check next time i'm there. i swear i seen it somewhere before

yulio_13

25 Jan. 2011
Jakarta, Indonesia
Melbourne boy here.

Looking to finally make it over this year :) Trying to work out if any mates are joining me - but I better work that out soon as tickets are fast running out!

Hanging to see Avantasia, Blind Guardian & quite a few others. Was wishing Helloween would be added but oh well!

If anyone is keen to meet up over there - please PM me.

Cheers,
George.

hello george, may I join with you for the campground and goes to wacken ? If you accept my invitation, before goes to wacken, I'm going to melbourne for meet with you, and then we'll going to wacken together
my email: abdulsyafikyulio@yahoo.com
you can send me an email if you agree

cheers
Yulio13

Melbourne folk here, I'll be going along with my brother and two best mates. I already see someone in this thread who I know (Vindicta - lol) and her old housemate is one of the blokes I'll be travelling with :D

Hope to meet many more Aussies there, and any who will be going over can feel free to add me on Facebook, the link is in my profile on here. Rock on.

VindictaLoupsGarou

1 Okt. 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne folk here, I'll be going along with my brother and two best mates. I already see someone in this thread who I know (Vindicta - lol) and her old housemate is one of the blokes I'll be travelling with :D

Hope to meet many more Aussies there, and any who will be going over can feel free to add me on Facebook, the link is in my profile on here. Rock on.

LOL! hey Cal :D

savatage

21 Jan. 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I wouldn't even consider going to a hotel during the festival. I got so fucked up every single night (to the point where I needed help getting to/into my tent) and it was so convenient and I felt extremely safe especially since I was 5 seconds away from passing out. I was also up at dawn every single day and people were always awake. The ground at Wacken is increadibly soft and it was actually more comfortable sleeping there than sleeping in any bed I've been in.

As for accommodation before/after the festival:

Before Wacken last year all of my friends stayed at a hotel in Billstedt (a little bit out from the CBD) called Panorama Inn Und Boardinghaus. It's 2 trains from the airport and all up it takes about 45 minutes to get there iirc. It's a 3 star hotel and the 4 star is right next door if you're feeling a bit snooty.

- Cold buffet breakfast (aka they have everything except bacon pretty much)
- Bar fridge (I kept my cold pack full of fruit and shelf-life milk in it before I took it to the festival and it stayed cold the whole time. Just an idea if you want to bring your own fresh food), TV, toilet, bath/shower, phone, desk, wardrobe
- Downstairs is a bistro bar called Einstein. I slept through the piss-up but I was told they have some sort of deal going on, I think it was 2 for 1 cocktails or something? They'll also feed you well :)
- There's an internet cafe downstairs from the 4 star hotel at a really cheap rate (for internet you have to pay for anyway). You can also make phone calls from there
- A stone's throw from the local shopping mall and corner stores, and a short walk from the train station
- The cleaners come in every day and actually clean it
- Hotel staff were increadibly helpful and friendly. They rang my room when my friend's phone wasn't working and when my mum emailed to see if I made it. They popped in to make sure everything was ok when I didn't leave my room at all after breakfast after the festival (as I was exhausted, alone and cbf doing anything), and there was always a warm smile and a polite "morgen" from all staff.
- If you get there before 2pm you still might be able to check-in, just ask.

The locals seemed all too willing to help me out with directions and so on, and I didn't even have to ask for it (I just had to stand there with a suitcase with a puzzled look on my face and they noticed) :) So yeah hope this was helpful.

Mate that was unbelievably helpful! Thanks for all the info. Heaps to digest! :)

savatage

21 Jan. 2011
Melbourne, Australia
i cant believe you are contemplating booking a hotel while the festival is on, and good luck getting one within 50 km's anyway...
camping is half the fun!
my first year in WOA in 2007 we camped next to the spanish, they knew very little english and us ,even less spanish, but that didnt stop us having an awesome time partying with them in between bands and through the night. every year since, we now hookup with them for a cool time .
last year (2010)we had Italians on one side ,and Danes on the other . both awesome new friends to party with. the kind of comeradery you will not find if you walk around the festival then piss off to a hotel.
as for a shower , theres plenty of them around onsite for a couple of Euro's, and if you pick your time you can get through in 5 minutes ( dont bother at 9 am... itll be 10 am before you get a shower). also they has a shuttle bus to the Wacken swimming pool last year.
WOA doesnt stop! - it just slows down a little at 5:45 am :)

Lol!!
You have to understand - I've never been before. I'm going on my own most likely however I have friends that MAY want to come last minute - thus I need to have a good idea of what's going on so I can give them the scoop also!

I've never camped a day in my whole fkn life & I have no idea where everything is in relation to anything else so any information is helpful & appreciated.

Having said that, I do enjoy showering & like the idea of having one every day!

Thanks for all the stories people - it's great reading!

If anyone wants to facebook - PM me so I can give you my email address (spam robots will take over if I post it out loud here).