How much german will I need to understand?

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
The two nights before Wacken we are staying at a hotel on the Reaperbahn. Should be interesting!

I accidentally stayed there one night. It made for an interesting journey back to my actual hotel the following morning :ugly: One of my first memories was a group of old ladies (aged 70+) posing and taking photos outside an adult shop :D

Colamann3798

13 Apr. 2003
nich mehr Münster :(
www.dongopenair.de
It might be enough, just to say "i don't speak anything else than english". Most Germans should understand that. And yes, our English is not the best one, but most of us Do speak understandable English.
Someone who doesn't understand that propably couldn't switch to English even if you told him to do so in perfect German ;)

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to learn some basic phrases like "Please give me a large beer"
Very important thing to know! "Ein grosses Bier, bitte!" (pronounced like "ine grohsaz beer, bitteh" or something like that).
Since we basically have the same word for beer, I guess you won't have to stay sober even if you end up in some grandfather's pub where noone speaks any English at all.

Guardian of Silence

29 Dez. 2011
Tom Kyle
Someone who doesn't understand that propably couldn't switch to English even if you told him to do so in perfect German ;)

It's not very probable to meet someone who really does speak NO english. Just boring old guys. Or younger kids.

Edit: If I wanted to write how to pronounce a German word or sentence, and there is an "ü" in it, how could I do that?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Colamann3798

13 Apr. 2003
nich mehr Münster :(
www.dongopenair.de
I guess there's nothing in the English language that sounds like an ü. The only time I ever heard the sound from an English speaker, it was a guy with a heavy scottish accent pronouncing oo. ;)

You'd propably have to use those special signs that language books use.

Guardian of Silence

29 Dez. 2011
Tom Kyle
I guess there's nothing in the English language that sounds like an ü. The only time I ever heard the sound from an English speaker, it was a guy with a heavy scottish accent pronouncing oo. ;)

I knew it. I knew it. Crap.
How do I make that funny little unicorns - er, unicodes?

Alix

12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia

Sure there is!
"I knew you'd do a poo"
If you pronounced the underlined as "ü" in the above sentence (as stupid as it is :p), and said it to pretty much any native English speaker, they'd be pretty impressed with your pronunciation. I don't know where this idea that the "ü" sound doesn't exist in the English language, but as you can see there too many ways to spell it. Fuck I hate the English language :uff:

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Sure there is!
"I knew you'd do a poo"
If you pronounced the underlined as "ü" in the above sentence (as stupid as it is :p), and said it to pretty much any native English speaker, they'd be pretty impressed with your pronunciation. I don't know where this idea that the "ü" sound doesn't exist in the English language, but as you can see there too many ways to spell it. Fuck I hate the English language :uff:

Maybe in Aussi English, but I reckon a US speaker would pronounce it a slightly different than e.g. a UK speaker. (English of course)