the map of my trip

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

rice

W:O:A Metalhead
11 Dez. 2008
NJ "garbage state"
So I posted a pic of a Map where i have circled and routed my trip incase anyone else plans to go this way and wants to meet up or offer any advice,

map of my triphttp://img140.imageshack.us/i/mappr.jpg/

Im flying into A'dam on july 28th then heading to wacken by train, after wacken going to berlin then praha then Brutal Assault fest, then Vienna and finally to Munich to see some castles where ill fly back to NY (probably on august 16th) all by train.

My question is, should i buy a eurorail ticket or pay as i go on each train? because ive never used the train so much before on my own so im not sure how to deal with exactly.

some people told to me to buy a pass and other have said doesnt matter much. so any feedback would help regarding this matter.

Also can anyone tell me how many and which trains ill be taking from the city of Amsterdam to Wacken (which train stations, how many trains and how long the ride and how much the cost approximately)? just from a'dam to wacken in particular cause ill be on my own for this one.

Quark, i was told to ask you this personally since you may have train experience but im just posting it for anyone to help me with.

anyway thanks to any info on the trains.

xforeverxmetalx

W:O:A Metalgod
29 Dez. 2007
First, your map is kinda off as far as where BA is... it's much further north, nowhere near Brno. :p

With Eurail, you have to figure it out yourself. If you decide to get it, it's definitely easier and more convenient, but not necessarily cheaper. What you have to do is go to Eurail's site and figure out the cheapest pass for your trip: for you, probably the Benelux/Germany/Czech/Austria 4 country pass, count how many days you'll need to use it and get one that works for that many. Then go to bahn.de and raileurope.com and look up the cost of every single leg of your trip. Use that information and the cost of the Eurail you need to decide what you want to do. You might even want to do a combination pass, for example you might not need your pass to be valid in Benelux [Belgium/Netherlands/Luxembourg], maybe you could get a 3 country pass plus a single ticket to Germany's border. Again you'll have to look it up and decide for yourself what's easier and what's cheapest.

Bahn.de will also tell you what connections you'll need to get to Hamburg, I think it usually goes through Osnabrück and Bremen, but look it up.

Look, I've got to be honest, and you know it's nothing against you personally. As much as us forum people are willing to help, usually we expect people to try and figure out their plans for themselves and then ask about what they're not sure about or want tips/advice on. You seem to want us to plan out everything for you. Which isn't what travelling is about. I know it's your first time going it alone, but it really isn't that hard to search the internet and use the resources available. I've been patient with you but now I'm giving you the sites you'll need and asking you to help yourself. Sorry to be blunt and I don't want to be mean at all, but that's just how it works. Still feel free to IM me any extra questions, but I would really appreciate it if you put in some effort yourself first.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
My question is, should i buy a eurorail ticket or pay as i go on each train? because ive never used the train so much before on my own so im not sure how to deal with exactly.

some people told to me to buy a pass and other have said doesnt matter much. so any feedback would help regarding this matter.
Depends on what you'll do in between time.

Also can anyone tell me how many and which trains ill be taking from the city of Amsterdam to Wacken (which train stations, how many trains and how long the ride and how much the cost approximately)? just from a'dam to wacken in particular cause ill be on my own for this one.

Quark, i was told to ask you this personally since you may have train experience but im just posting it for anyone to help me with.

anyway thanks to any info on the trains.

Well, if you'll book via www.bahn.de (english available) you might find a trip (ticket) for 19 €uros to Itzehoe. (the destination of this trip)
You can do this 3 months in advance, but be quick! (will either be self printed, or by (air) mail.)

From Amsterdam you go to Osnabrück Hbf. There to Hamburg (either Hbf or Altona)
From Hamburg HBF you take a train to KIEL Hbf and change in Elmshorn. Same platform to the train to Westerland(Sylt)
In Hamburg ALTONA you take this train directly.
Get off in Itzehoe.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
First, your map is kinda off as far as where BA is... it's much further north, nowhere near Brno. :p

With Eurail, you have to figure it out yourself. If you decide to get it, it's definitely easier and more convenient, but not necessarily cheaper. What you have to do is go to Eurail's site and figure out the cheapest pass for your trip: for you, probably the Benelux/Germany/Czech/Austria 4 country pass, count how many days you'll need to use it and get one that works for that many. Then go to bahn.de and raileurope.com and look up the cost of every single leg of your trip. Use that information and the cost of the Eurail you need to decide what you want to do. You might even want to do a combination pass, for example you might not need your pass to be valid in Benelux [Belgium/Netherlands/Luxembourg], maybe you could get a 3 country pass plus a single ticket to Germany's border. Again you'll have to look it up and decide for yourself what's easier and what's cheapest.

Bahn.de will also tell you what connections you'll need to get to Hamburg, I think it usually goes through Osnabrück and Bremen, but look it up.

Look, I've got to be honest, and you know it's nothing against you personally. As much as us forum people are willing to help, usually we expect people to try and figure out their plans for themselves and then ask about what they're not sure about or want tips/advice on. You seem to want us to plan out everything for you. Which isn't what travelling is about. I know it's your first time going it alone, but it really isn't that hard to search the internet and use the resources available. I've been patient with you but now I'm giving you the sites you'll need and asking you to help yourself. Sorry to be blunt and I don't want to be mean at all, but that's just how it works. Still feel free to IM me any extra questions, but I would really appreciate it if you put in some effort yourself first.

The point is, for the Amsterdam - Itzehoe trip, Bahn.de does not give any prices yet. It's outside the booking period, so you'll only get to see "normal prices", and NO offers whatsoever.

And (ok, I'm sighted but still) for someone who's not familiar with "our" way of traveling, it can be very stressfull to book, check up a trip etc. if you don't know how things are going over here.
I'd also be afraid if I were to go to the US all alone. (especially since I am in a way unable to go anywhere by myself, due to car rides etc.)

The plans are your things. The travel itself as well, but we can give advice about that.

xforeverxmetalx

29 Dez. 2007
The point is, for the Amsterdam - Itzehoe trip, Bahn.de does not give any prices yet. It's outside the booking period, so you'll only get to see "normal prices", and NO offers whatsoever.

And (ok, I'm sighted but still) for someone who's not familiar with "our" way of traveling, it can be very stressfull to book, check up a trip etc. if you don't know how things are going over here.
I'd also be afraid if I were to go to the US all alone. (especially since I am in a way unable to go anywhere by myself, due to car rides etc.)

The plans are your things. The travel itself as well, but we can give advice about that.

Nothing wrong with normal prices to get a general idea of how much it'd be.

Sure it can be stressful but doesn't mean the internet is suddenly useless because you're going alone.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Sipyloidea

19 März 2007

I guess I have never actually used the normal bahn fee to get to Ap's place but from what I remember it would have been round about 120Euros (info: Ap's used to live almost next to Amsterdam and I used to live almost next to Wacken).
You can however always get from Amsterdam to Hamburg cheap with www.mitfahrgelegenheit.de It's rather complicated though... I'd rather advise you to take the Eurail thing as Kris said too. The way from Amsterdam to Itzehoe should be something like Amsterdam-Osnabrück-Hamburg-etc.

Btw. just noticed it to be like 90 Euros

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
True but I think Steph was planning on buying tickets there rather than book them all in advance. If she didn't do Eurail that is.

Don't know. I cannot look into her planning.

I just bought a ticket Utrecht - Moers for 19€ Normal would have been 38.40€ (half in this case).
But the 19€ is not itinerairy dependant though. It's a global price.

It's Amsterdam-Hilversum-Osnabrück Hbf-Hamburg-(Elmshorn)-Itzehoe though. That IC is leaving from Schiphol via Amsterdam Zuid, and does not call at Amsterdam Centraal.

rice

11 Dez. 2008
NJ "garbage state"
First, your map is kinda off as far as where BA is... it's much further north, nowhere near Brno. :p.

Brno is also where im staying before and after BA so thats why i circled it and wrote BA,. same shit.

I DID plan most of my trip out as you can see i posted a map with all the places i am going circled and routed. Im just inquiring about rail passes because Ive heard conflicting suggestions mostly by those who live in europe and use the rail more often, that a pass can be more of a rip off and not much cheaper. While Americans are quick to shell out 1300$ for a pass, locals wont.
my other question, is for anyone who can suggest something cool to check out on the way in which im going. But maybe that answer should be left to those who actually live IN Europe and have a much better idea of whats "good" to check out.
I've been patient with you
LMAO! Funny, I messaged you maybe 2 times in the last 8 months. And while i appreciate any info you gave me i still feel its only normal to ask others what they think.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

rice

11 Dez. 2008
NJ "garbage state"
Depends on what you'll do in between time.

Well, if you'll book via www.bahn.de (english available) you might find a trip (ticket) for 19 €uros to Itzehoe. (the destination of this trip)
You can do this 3 months in advance, but be quick! (will either be self printed, or by (air) mail.)

From Amsterdam you go to Osnabrück Hbf. There to Hamburg (either Hbf or Altona)
From Hamburg HBF you take a train to KIEL Hbf and change in Elmshorn. Same platform to the train to Westerland(Sylt)
In Hamburg ALTONA you take this train directly.
Get off in Itzehoe.

Thanks for the detailed info. and thanks for being "PATIENT" with me! :D:p:p

Deathbringer

W:O:A Metalmaster
13 März 2009
Massachusetts
Brno is also where im staying before and after BA so thats why i circled it and wrote BA,. same shit.

I DID plan most of my trip out as you can see i posted a map with all the places i am going circled and routed. Im just inquiring about rail passes because Ive heard conflicting suggestions mostly by those who live in europe and use the rail more often, that a pass can be more of a rip off and not much cheaper. While Americans are quick to shell out 1300$ for a pass, locals wont.
my other question, is for anyone who can suggest something cool to check out on the way in which im going. But maybe that answer should be left to those who actually live IN Europe and have a much better idea of whats "good" to check out.

LMAO! Funny, I messaged you maybe 2 times in the last 8 months. And while i appreciate any info you gave me i still feel its only normal to ask others what they think.

Locals have a cheaper pass. http://www.interrail.net/ from there.

I think part of her annoyance might have been this part "Also can anyone tell me how many and which trains ill be taking from the city of Amsterdam to Wacken (which train stations, how many trains and how long the ride and how much the cost approximately)? just from a'dam to wacken in particular cause ill be on my own for this one." seeing if you read it, it DOES sound like you're asking everything without trying to figure out anything.

Zuletzt bearbeitet: