What are the chances of Iced Earth playing this year?

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

MetalDave81

23 Nov. 2003
London, England
Website besuchen
I bought my ticket for Wacken 2003 the moment I heard Iced Earth were to play and soooo gutted when they pulled out. I was wondering what you guys thought the chances were for Iced Earth to play this year?

I don't know if Wacken were annoyed that Iced Earth pulled out and if that would hinder them playing this year. I am going to see Iced Earth in London with Thunderstone support and know they are playing Wacken and now I have heard that Children of Bodom, who are also playing Wacken, will tour with Iced Earth later on.

What do you guys think?

P.s. Any opinions on the new Iced Earth album - The Glorious Burden? I got mine from Alice's Records on the Saturday before release and have not stopped listening to it! It seriously kicks ass. My favourite tracks are Waterloo, Red Baron/Blue Max, Declarartion Day and of course the 32 minute epic Gettysburg (1863)

RIGHT THAT IS MY ICED EARTH HOMAGE DONE AND OVER WITH - NORMAL SERVICE CAN NOW RESUME!

Kate McGee

W:O:A Metalgod
13 Aug. 2002
Kronach
franconianpsycho.blogspot.com
I think the chances they will play are pretty good. Much better than most other people I asked think :( ... I BELIEVE that they will come. :D
I don't think there will be any problems because they didn't come last year. There was nothing else they could have done in this situation, and I guess the Wacken people understood this as well...

Well, I might see them in Nuremberg/Germany on April 2. I'm not sure yet. This is because I miss Matt Barlow... :(
I totally accept Ripper as his successor and I even start to like his way of singing (which is imho sometimes very similar to Matt's), but it's not the same. Although the new songs are great, looking at the way of composing. My favourites are, by now, the ballads When The Eagle Cries and Hollow Man, and I also like Declaration Day, Greenface and Valley Forge. And Gettysburg is just too big to say anything about it yet. I haven't even read the lyrics yet...no time ;)

Well, more than two months to go. We'll see.

edit: If my information is correct, they will be supported by Primal Fear or so here...

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Warthog

W:O:A Metalmaster
29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us
Not good if the following news item is true. I love Iced Earth as much as anybody, but Jon's gotta keep his band together if he wants Iced Earth to survive beyond Barlow.

As far as the album goes, I haven't heard the whole thing yet...but "Declaration Day" kicks ass, as does "The Reckoning". I could really do without the acoustic ballads. And fuck Jimi Hendrix - Iced Earth does the most ripping version of "The Star Spangled Banner" ever. :D Ripper's voice kicks ass (always has), even though his style is worlds apart from Barlow's.

Anyhow, I got this from Blabbermouth.net:

TIM OWENS 'Pissed Off' By JON SCHAFFER's Drunken Antics - Jan. 13, 2004

Former JUDAS PRIEST/current ICED EARTH singer Tim Owens has revealed to Revolver magazine that he was worried that joining forces with ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer was a bad idea shortly after the band started a press tour of Europe in October. No sooner had he and Schaffer arrived in Spain than the guitarist hit the bar and began pounding drinks. "I went to bed at 11 o'clock, and at two in the morning I hear Jon yelling in the hallway," recalled Owens. "He was still drunk when he got up in the morning to fly to Germany, and he pissed me off so bad. He was screaming obscenities in the airport, and on the plane he kept yelling, 'Tim will have prune juice! Tim will have prune juice!' I said to the publicist, 'If he's not sober by the time we do the interviews, I'm not doing them.' If we had been on a boat, I would have pushed him off. I thought, 'Man, I'll never make it through a tour with this asshole.'

"At the end of the flight, Jon looked at me innocently and goes, 'Are you mad at me?' He really couldn't understand because he didn't remember a thing that had happened. Which was a relief, because it meant he didn't do anything on purpose."

In the same article, Schaffer revealed that he's laying the foundation for his most multidimensional project yet: a science-fiction conspiracy concept album based on songs from the band's 1998 disc, "Something Wicked This Way Comes". The story will cover 12,000 years of human history, and Schaffer hopes it will be a springboard for a series of comic books and possibly a motion picture.

"I haven't written down the plot yet," he said. "But I have all the outlines for the story in my head, and I'm really excited about how it's coming together. This could be my 'Star Wars'."

Kate McGee

13 Aug. 2002
Kronach
Originally posted by Warthog
Not good if the following news item is true. I love Iced Earth as much as anybody, but Jon's gotta keep his band together if he wants Iced Earth to survive beyond Barlow.

As far as the album goes, I haven't heard the whole thing yet...but "Declaration Day" kicks ass, as does "The Reckoning". I could really do without the acoustic ballads. And fuck Jimi Hendrix - Iced Earth does the most ripping version of "The Star Spangled Banner" ever. :D Ripper's voice kicks ass (always has), even though his style is worlds apart from Barlow's.

Anyhow, I got this from Blabbermouth.net:

TIM OWENS 'Pissed Off' By JON SCHAFFER's Drunken Antics - Jan. 13, 2004

Former JUDAS PRIEST/current ICED EARTH singer Tim Owens has revealed to Revolver magazine that he was worried that joining forces with ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer was a bad idea shortly after the band started a press tour of Europe in October. No sooner had he and Schaffer arrived in Spain than the guitarist hit the bar and began pounding drinks. "I went to bed at 11 o'clock, and at two in the morning I hear Jon yelling in the hallway," recalled Owens. "He was still drunk when he got up in the morning to fly to Germany, and he pissed me off so bad. He was screaming obscenities in the airport, and on the plane he kept yelling, 'Tim will have prune juice! Tim will have prune juice!' I said to the publicist, 'If he's not sober by the time we do the interviews, I'm not doing them.' If we had been on a boat, I would have pushed him off. I thought, 'Man, I'll never make it through a tour with this asshole.'

"At the end of the flight, Jon looked at me innocently and goes, 'Are you mad at me?' He really couldn't understand because he didn't remember a thing that had happened. Which was a relief, because it meant he didn't do anything on purpose."

In the same article, Schaffer revealed that he's laying the foundation for his most multidimensional project yet: a science-fiction conspiracy concept album based on songs from the band's 1998 disc, "Something Wicked This Way Comes". The story will cover 12,000 years of human history, and Schaffer hopes it will be a springboard for a series of comic books and possibly a motion picture.

"I haven't written down the plot yet," he said. "But I have all the outlines for the story in my head, and I'm really excited about how it's coming together. This could be my 'Star Wars'."
:eek: Oh shit!
If THIS is true, - I don't know what to say!

But I don't believe this as long as it is not confirmed by any "official".

The report in German RockHard magazine (January) doesn't mention anything like this. Hmmm...

Hammered_gods

5 Sep. 2002
Czech Republic
Website besuchen
The moment when I started to hate heavy metal was on Judas Priest concert when they had Ripper as vocalist....I almost started to sleep and was wondering howe somnebody can listen to something SO fucking boring...No matter in what band he is, he suckzzzz....

MetalDave81

23 Nov. 2003
London, England
Website besuchen
In response to the last reply, I love Iced Earth. But when I heard Ripper (Tim from now on) was joining Iced Earth I WAS HORRIFIED! I love Priest (OLD SCHOOL) but with Tim I thought they were TERRIBLE. Matt's vocals, along with Jon songs, were something beyond any other metal band. That is what got me into Iced Earth (Burnt Offerings, what an album!), I hate Gene Adam's vocals (on Iced Earth) which, initially, I thought were like Tim's.

Imagine how worried I was about Iced Earth's new vocalist. I can now say that the new Iced Earth album IS PROBABLY THE BEST I HAVE EVER HEARD. I cannot get enough of it.

Tim has found his band, and Jon his vocalist.

GETTYSBURG IS AWESOME!

Hey don't get too annoyed, this is only my humble opinion...

Kate McGee

13 Aug. 2002
Kronach
Originally posted by MetalDave81
In response to the last reply, I love Iced Earth. But when I heard Ripper (Tim from now on) was joining Iced Earth I WAS HORRIFIED! I love Priest (OLD SCHOOL) but with Tim I thought they were TERRIBLE. Matt's vocals, along with Jon songs, were something beyond any other metal band. That is what got me into Iced Earth (Burnt Offerings, what an album!), I hate Gene Adam's vocals (on Iced Earth) which, initially, I thought were like Tim's.

Imagine how worried I was about Iced Earth's new vocalist. I can now say that the new Iced Earth album IS PROBABLY THE BEST I HAVE EVER HEARD. I cannot get enough of it.

GETTYSBURG IS AWESOME!

I never liked Priest, with and without Tim Owens.
I slowly start liking Iced Earth with Tim Owens. But it is something different from the Iced Earth I started loving over two years ago.
I was really afraid that I wouldn't like IE any more when I heard about what the new album was to be like. But I like it.
But nothing more, by now. I don't "love" it yet.

Tim has found his band and Jon his vocalist - that's true.

By the way, Jon regards Burnt Offerings as his weakest album. Not really my opinion. Though it's not the best one.

Warthog

29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us

GETTYSBURG IS AWESOME!

Yeah, I thought the two Priest albums with Tim Owens were dull and duller ("you are all...dead meat!" haha!) but that Winters Bane album with him kicks some tush!

I'll really miss Barlow...what a great voice! Bastard should have never left IE in the first place, but if he feels he can do more good for humanity pushing papers for a sham government agency like the Dept of "Homeland Security" than by touring with an internationally famous and beloved metal band, I guess there's nothing we can do to convince him otherwise.

Sodomy&Lust

13 Apr. 2002
Madrid - Spain
Originally posted by Kate McGee

By the way, Jon regards Burnt Offerings as his weakest album. Not really my opinion. Though it's not the best one.
I only like one song from that album. Ok, it's a 17 minutes (or so) song, but it's only one :)

Am I the only one whose favourite IE albums are the first 2 ones (without Barlow)? Yeah, I have weird taste..... :rolleyes:

flo

W:O:A Metalhead
14 Dez. 2001
Remscheid
www.strongholde.de
hey, i also like the first two albums the most. my favourite barlow album is burnt offerings, but night of the stormrider is an alltime classic. iced earth never reached this level again.

Supercharger

26 Juli 2002
Deventer, the Netherlands
Website besuchen
ah well just let Iced earth for what it is..You can admire Jon Schaffer for this perseverence when it comes to living up his vision and his band. Never forget that Jon is actually Iced earth..he writes and composes almost everything. I used to listen to Iced earth a lot but I kinda lost interest 1.5 years back

Hammered_gods

5 Sep. 2002
Czech Republic
Website besuchen

GETTYSBURG IS AWESOME!

Hey you can allways say your opinion...cause it is your thing as my thing is that I dont like it at all.