Potential headliners...or the lack of...

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Metal Pede

W:O:A Metalhead
29 Nov. 2001
Denmark
There has been a lot of people saying Blind Guardian is NOT a worthy headliner for Wacken Open Air. Then I ask, who is then ?

It seems to me, that there are a very few bands like Saxon, Motörhead, Priest, Slayer etc. who has the potential to be headlining Open Airs. Bands dosen't seem to get THAT big anymore...like in the eighties.

When Metallica, Judas Priest, Saxon, Maiden, Slayer etc. disbands, who's left behind to take over as the role as the 'Big ones'.......?

Well, I don't know....

Wackianne

29 Nov. 2001
Nijmegen
beam.to
I have actually read that Wacken isn´t supposed to be a headliner festival anyway. Of course that´s open to dispute but well...

However, you´re definitely right with your points even if it´s a real pity!

Supercharger

W:O:A Metalmaster
26 Juli 2002
Deventer, the Netherlands
Website besuchen
Band do get big, but's only in the new-metal sector. There aren't many major record companies who support traditional metalbands. Most bands are signed by independent labels like Century media and Nuclear blast. Labels like that don't have the money and the recources to promote a band to such a scale a major company is able off

Metal Pede

29 Nov. 2001
Denmark
@ Supercharger

Hey! You're absolutely right. But as I see it, if only the NEW METAL scene is getting big, who will then take over the 'throne' in the traditional Metal-scene from all the big bands we all love today ?

Also, when I actually meet a danish Metal-fan, he's most of the time wearing a fuckin' KORN or SYSTEM OF A DAWN shirt. If the generation to come are into this NEW METAL hulubulu, then the traditional Metal-scene have a very uncertain future and that scares the shit out of me.....

I'm very sorry if I sound like a 32-year old negative fool here, but with nine out of ten teenager of today listening to dance music, the future for traditional Metal sucks BIG TIME....

^witchfinder^

yeah well said metal pede
it is a shame that most of the so called "metal fans" of today are into korn and system of a down ...........this is not METAL well not as you or i know it :(
and what you said earlier is a good point .....what "big" metal bands would be left after slayer,maiden, metallica,priest,motorhead etc. :(
i hope so much that slayer will play Wacken next year

they will live on ,...long after they disband as long as there is "true" metal fans out there like us :)

long live "real" metal ^v^

Supercharger

26 Juli 2002
Website besuchen
Hmm, as far as I see it, it's better to see those kids listening to new-metal than to R&B, rap, trance, dance and shit like that. Sooner or later they'll get in contact with traditional metal. Most of them new-metalbands hail tradiotional metalbands as their source of inspiration. Some bands are even using guitarsolos in their songs. But you're right it's very annoying to see young people walking around in korn shirts.

I can name a few heirs to the tradiotional metal throne..how about Nevermore and Iced earth?

Rosk

30 Mai 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
A veteran band that's also worthy of Headlining would be Mercyful Fate (or King Diamond)......

I can't think of any New (not nu) Real Metal bands for headlining..... That honour has to be held by veterans, until the new (and talented) bands have stayed enough time doing good records......

Tormentor

31 März 2002
Braunschweig
www.bs.metal.tk
Originally posted by Wackianne
I have actually read that Wacken isn´t supposed to be a headliner festival anyway. Of course that´s open to dispute but well...

However, you´re definitely right with your points even if it´s a real pity!

Wacken is a headliner festival, because 2001 + 2002 there was a special Wacken Headliner Shirt.

Hum... I just wanted to say that :D

Tormentor

31 März 2002
Braunschweig
www.bs.metal.tk
Originally posted by Supercharger
Band do get big, but's only in the new-metal sector. There aren't many major record companies who support traditional metalbands. Most bands are signed by independent labels like Century media and Nuclear blast. Labels like that don't have the money and the recources to promote a band to such a scale a major company is able off

I think the new metal sector isn´t old enough to talk about "big bands" !!!!

Look at the backstreet boys for example :D :D

They were "big", but in another ten years they will be as important as my singing :)

New metal is just a new kind of 90´s Pop so there will never be any band who will get important.

VimFuego

22 Jan. 2002
Toronto, Canada
vimfuego.freeservers.com
hope for metal?
there's a 15 yr old kid who pratices gtr on his parent's porch just down the street from me. and what does play? Smoke on The Water and Rock You Like a Hurricane!! dunno how he even knows any of that stuff (gtr teacher i guess) but very cool to still hear that people grow-up learning the old stuff.

Supercharger

26 Juli 2002
Website besuchen
@tormentor

Hmm..take drowning pool or linkin park for example. They both have only one record out. They both were on Ozzfest and especially linkin park sells milions of records. This pretty big to me. Traditional metalbands are very happy when they sell 20.000 to 30.000 records. A band like Blind Guardian who's one of the biggest bands in Germany only sell 70.000 recordsin their home country. The difference in scale in touring and records sales is astronomical if you ask me.

Supercharger

26 Juli 2002
Website besuchen
@mugabe

Tool is simply brilliant. Outstanding musical en instrumental skills, great songs, brilliant records and yes they sell milions of records, but they're not commercial in a way they create songs for radio airplay or mtv exposure. Most songs on their last album "lateralus" are well over 8 minuts. They are just plainly brilliant

Evenfiel

4 Mai 2002
I dont really care for headliners. Even if Blind Guardian wasnt a worhty headliner, this year's Wacken was the one with more people. A Metal festival doesnt need big bands to be a sucess.

Rosk

30 Mai 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
You're right Evenfiel.... In Festivals you get the oportunity to see the "small" bands that are not able to tour as extensive as the more stablished ones......